Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #661
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/...vs-current-gen

Good comparison between last gen and new gen with Battlefield 4. IMO the XB1 version looks just a little better than PS4. The PS4 looks washed out in comparison although the XB1 version had a few more noticeable jaggies but in motion it just looks a little better. However the current gen stands up pretty well and goes back to my previous comment in that the new consoles right now really don't offer a lot for the money over current gen. The XB1 has the Kinect at least to differentiate but otherwise not much else while the PS4 is basically a hopped up PS3 with a few features removed.
Not sure if this is a fair comparison really. This first wave of 'next gen' games, many of them weren't designed with the next-gen consoles in mind. They wanted to be able to easily run the games on current gen systems without making an entirely different piece of software.

I expect the games that come out next year will show a significant leap in graphics. Even something like Infamous Second Son on PS4 looks leaps and bounds ahead of anything on the current gen, and I'm excited to see what Naughty Dog will do with the new hardware.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #662
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think there will be a huge difference until most people have 4k televisions. there's simply only a so much you can do with modern day tv's.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #663
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
I don't think there will be a huge difference until most people have 4k televisions. there's simply only a so much you can do with modern day tv's.
That being said, the PS4 and Xbox One will not support 4K gaming.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #664
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
That's a shame. This generation will deeply depress people based on previous jumps then I believe. I'm not saying it wont be worthwhile, but, people's expectations are going to be dashed.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #665
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Not sure if this is a fair comparison really. This first wave of 'next gen' games, many of them weren't designed with the next-gen consoles in mind. They wanted to be able to easily run the games on current gen systems without making an entirely different piece of software.

I expect the games that come out next year will show a significant leap in graphics. Even something like Infamous Second Son on PS4 looks leaps and bounds ahead of anything on the current gen, and I'm excited to see what Naughty Dog will do with the new hardware.
Oh I completely expect next fall/winter we will see much better looking games but at the end of the day that's all these systems offer especially the PS4. Microsoft IMO has positioned itself slightly better with built-in Kinect features that in the coming years will offer benefits only limited to developer's creativity that you won't see on PS4. Even at that though both of these consoles aren't really a massive leap over current gen.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #666
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post

I think they've both said it can output pics (maybe some video?) at 4K but I doubt any actual gaming. We're still talking them only being able to do 720p and 1080p, or about 9 to 4 times less resolution respectively. And they have only just recently locked down the new hdmi standard to even give enough throughput to push 4k past 24 frames a second.

But you could argue that they'd both be "upscaled to 4k" if you had a 4k TV.

Consoles are a long way off from 4k gaming (avoiding the obvious master race here).

I'm less bullish on Kinect myself with the first version having an install base of 30 million and just Dance Central being the only thing remotely appealing (and I'm not a huge gaming dance fan at all ). Sony has their own camera but I don't think it is as compelling as the Kinect 2 that Microsoft has shown. It'll be neat to see what they do with it and if it catches on as time goes on. Enough people will certainly be paying an extra $100 for it shortly.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #667
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For anyone that works in a game store/walmart/target what have you. Has anyone received their shipments for PS4's or Xbox one's? We haven't at the walmart i work in. Just curious.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #668
bryceschutte
Draft Pick

XBOX ONE is 4k ready! Even the HDMI cable that comes with it is 4k rated. PS4 will only do pics 4k.

Kinect comes in the box with every XBOX One. Almost every game made for Xbox One will use the Kinect in one form or another.

Mark my words. You will want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryceschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #669
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceschutte View Post
XBOX ONE is 4k ready! Even the HDMI cable that comes with it is 4k rated. PS4 will only do pics 4k.

Kinect comes in the box with every XBOX One. Almost every game made for Xbox One will use the Kinect in one form or another.

Haha. The One is having problems running games at 1080p, but it's 4k ready?

The One cannot play games in a native 4K. There may be some sort of system supplied video upscaling to 4k - but that's not 4k gaming.

...perhaps that post was all "green text", in which case I look quite the fool

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #670
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not sure that is an accurate comment. Even if it is, just because a game uses a kinect feature doesn't mean it will add to the game experience. Also, anything that uses the microphone as their kinect feature doesn't count.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 11-04-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #671
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Haha. The One is having problems running games at 1080p, but it's 4k ready?

The One cannot play games in a native 4K. There may be some sort of system supplied video upscaling to 4k - but that's not 4k gaming.

...perhaps that post was all "green text", in which case I look quite the fool
Pretty sure he meant it, he has 3 posts and all of them are in this thread and about how great a Microsoft product is.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #672
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the guy works for Microsoft (a quick search of his CP username brings up his linked in profile) so I wouldn't expect an un-biased view point from him in this thread.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #673
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah the guy works for Microsoft (a quick search of his CP username brings up his linked in profile) so I wouldn't expect an un-biased view point from him in this thread.
His avatar doesn't help that image either.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #674
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why? I wanted nothing to do with Kinect or goofy motion controls last generation. What's going to make me interested in it now?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #675
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Why? I wanted nothing to do with Kinect or goofy motion controls last generation. What's going to make me interested in it now?
But now you can say "Xbox on!"
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #676
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So it comes with a 4k rated cable so that it can play Ghosts in upscaled 720? Seems like overkill.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #677
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
XBOX ONE is 4k ready! Even the HDMI cable that comes with it is 4k rated.

Kinect comes in the box with every XBOX One. Mark my words. You will want one.
All HDMI cables since 2009 are 4k rated. It came with the 1.4 standard in May 2009. The recent 2.0 standard was only just completed a month ago and finally gives 60 fps capability - it is not included with the Xbone.

I would hope so, Kinect is costing you an additional $100 and a console that is outputting at a lower resolution than its direct competition at launch.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #678
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I cancelled my XBO pre-order. Will probably pick one up next year, but the only launch game that I wanted (Forza) wasn't enough to justify $500 at this time.

Looking forward to playing the PS4 over the holidays now!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #679
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further to the silliness of using heavily compressed and badly artifacted video feeds (like YouTube or IGN) to compare 720p to 1080p - and claiming that they look the same.

http://kotaku.com/new-ps4-game-foota...rea-1458262061

​New PS4 Game Footage Too Mighty for Puny YouTube Streaming

You can find multiplayer footage for Shadow Fall here on the Guerilla Games site, along with the advice the devs are recommending for viewing the minute-plus clip the way it should be seen:

Unfortunately, there are limitations to streamed video, and many of the clips and trailers we've released thus far aren't being viewed in the best possible fidelity and framerate.

In order to properly demonstrate the framerate and resolution we achieve in Shadow Fall's multiplayer, we've captured and lightly compressed new footage that we're not offering through a video sharing service. Instead, we ask that you download and locally view the high-resolution, uncompressed footage directly from us.

But, it's 541 MB for 1:14 of console footage, which is the kind of thing that makes you wonder if some kind of shift will have to happen to accommodate all the ramped-up visuals of next-gen games.

(The link to download the file is on the original website)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #680
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I would hope so, Kinect is costing you an additional $100 and a console that is outputting at a lower resolution than its direct competition at launch.
What are you talking about? It has been confined that Forza is running at 1080p. You have a campaign here were you are trying to make people believe the XB1 can't output games at 1080p which is completely untrue. The only limitation right now is the developers and how pressed for time they are to getting the games ready for launch. So maybe a few games will be 720p on XB1 at launch as you can see we have already seen comparisons where the XB1 versions look better at 720p than PS4 at 1080p.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote