Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #621
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I missing something with the preloaded android boxes? Can you not configure Kodi on a PC?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #622
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Watching right now

Watching a Kodi movie on my laptop cabled to the bigscreen as I type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Am I missing something with the preloaded android boxes? Can you not configure Kodi on a PC?
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #623
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Those boxes come with a remote which simplifies things as well as an OS setup to directly boot to Kodi running the top addons . The average person doesn't want the hassle.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #624
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Those boxes come with a remote which simplifies things as well as an OS setup to directly boot to Kodi running the top addons . The average person doesn't want the hassle.
Yeah, I noticed that some of the boxes also will do 4K output which my laptop obviously won't do. I really need to do more reading on Kodi. I can't seem to figure live-streaming for the life of me. I've also read it has PVR functionality but need to figure that out, too. Anyone have any good resources for learning this stuff?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #625
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sideloaded Kodi into an apple tv (4) today, using xcode. Much simpler than I thought.

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 07-05-2016 at 07:40 PM.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #626
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone recommend a particular Android box?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #627
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
NVidia Shield, more expensive then others but one of the best. I've had no issues with mine.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zzibradleyizz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #628
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post
NVidia Shield, more expensive then others but one of the best. I've had no issues with mine.
I've been looking at the NVidia Shield. How is it as a gaming system? I'm wondering if I could ditch my PS4 and just use that as an all-in-one set-top box and gaming system.

EDIT: cral, just from my own research I think the questions you have to ask yourself is if you want a system that does gaming as well and whether you have or are planning to get a 4K TV in the near future. If the answer is no to both those questions, I'd look at getting something cheaper like what Google offers from their Nexus line. Hell, if you're not super picky use an android phone and a chromecast.

Last edited by rubecube; 07-06-2016 at 03:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #629
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I really need to do more reading on Kodi. I can't seem to figure live-streaming for the life of me. I've also read it has PVR functionality but need to figure that out, too. Anyone have any good resources for learning this stuff?
I used the Kodi wiki http://kodi.wiki/ when I first started with it to get going. However, I learned that it's really dependent on the plug-ins you use to get the maximum out of it. For live streaming, if you're talking sports, SportsDevil is the best free one I've found. For other content, Exodus is the way and the light.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #630
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I've been looking at the NVidia Shield. How is it as a gaming system? I'm wondering if I could ditch my PS4 and just use that as an all-in-one set-top box and gaming system.
I don't use it as a gaming system, pretty much only to run Kodi. I know it has the ability to play games from your PC, but I believe it's only select games that can do this. And of course games off the Google Play Store, but I find the library is lacking. Something I haven't really looked into.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #631
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post
I don't use it as a gaming system, pretty much only to run Kodi. I know it has the ability to play games from your PC, but I believe it's only select games that can do this. And of course games off the Google Play Store, but I find the library is lacking. Something I haven't really looked into.
Yeah, I just looked into it and it doesn't really stack up to the PS4 at all. I also don't have a 4K capable TV and don't plan on replacing mine anytime soon.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #632
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is some cool #### I'm learning through all of this. Definitely going to have to mess around with the Chromecast to see if it's worth buying a box or not but I probably will.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #633
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except that you have to pick them up in the US, best bang for the budget stand alone box is the $39(US) Amazon Fire stick. I have a couple. Wifi works great. Obviously the won't handle 4K but Kodi works pretty nice on it.
Haven't tried casting from phone it a while. Last I tried it was still pretty buggy.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #634
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized I don't even have to use my Chromecast. I have an MHL output cable for my Samsung tablet.

Last edited by rubecube; 07-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #635
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say the lack of HD streams available for the Euro final today tempered a bit of my enthusiasm with regards to live sports. I mean the good news is, even if I pay for NFL Game Pass, I'm still saving an extra $60/month by not having cable.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #636
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gotta say the lack of HD streams available for the Euro final today tempered a bit of my enthusiasm with regards to live sports. I mean the good news is, even if I pay for NFL Game Pass, I'm still saving an extra $60/month by not having cable.
Castaway - - - > live sports - - - > Dimsports.eu
Pretty good, not great, usually.
I get Gamecenter free with Rogers wireless. I sub to NFL. Subscribing is the only 100%.reliable way to get live TV. Pro Sports addon is at times excellent, and at times no good. Hockey better than football, on any addon.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #637
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Castaway - - - > live sports - - - > Dimsports.eu
Pretty good, not great, usually.
I get Gamecenter free with Rogers wireless. I sub to NFL. Subscribing is the only 100%.reliable way to get live TV. Pro Sports addon is at times excellent, and at times no good. Hockey better than football, on any addon.
Yeah, I've heard that you can usually find decent HD hockey streams without much issue, but everything else is a bit of a crapshoot.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #638
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone tried Sportsnet Now and use the digital only option? The big factor holding me back right now is I don't want to lose the Jays or Flames games. But if I can cut the cord and still get all of the games from Sportsnet, I think I could do it. Just wondering if anyone has some experience with it.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #639
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you get a free trial period to start. Everyone a bit different when it comes to acceptable quality.
I thought ut was OK only. Not as good quality as MLB.tv (for Jays).
Old 07-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #640
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I think you get a free trial period to start. Everyone a bit different when it comes to acceptable quality.
I thought ut was OK only. Not as good quality as MLB.tv (for Jays).
Yea, there is a 7 day free trial. I tried Sportsnet NOW and it was acceptable. Definitely better quality than the free ad-ridden sports streams sites that I have come across.

For baseball only, MLB.TV is a much better product. Better device support, and definitely better picture quality (though MLB.TV has had some issues this year where games keep getting cut out). But for hockey, Sportsnet NOW standalone seems like a very reasonable option for the upcoming season. The one caution is that there will still be region blackouts. Yes, people living in Calgary can watch the Flames on the service, but just like TV, you won't be able to watch say the Canucks on Sportsnet Pacific.

Comparison focusing on Sportsnet NOW for baseball: https://watchincanada.ca/blog/sports...lbtv-blue-jays

One other poorly documented feature of Sportsnet NOW is that there is about a 2 hour window of when a program starts that you can start it from the beginning. E.g. you miss the first 4 innings of baseball, you can start the game from the beginning and skip ahead as if you DVRed it. Not seamless, not perfect, but better than a pure live stream.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post: