Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 11:55 PM   #2501
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming Parascak and Vanacker are gone, I am really hoping that the Flames can get Henry Mews with the Vancouver pick. I think he has tonnes of upside. A right handed offensive defenseman,

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-29-2024 at 10:06 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:22 AM   #2502
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (The Villain Edition):

No, 6'3",198lb LHD Max Vilen is not a character from an Austin Powers movie, he plays for the Malmo Redhawks organization, with 18 points in 49 games in the J20, and a cup o' coffee in the SHL, with no points in 4 games. He was 28th in scoring by defensemen in the J20, which shows that he contributes to his team's offense, but his bread and butter is his involvement in the other two zones, with an emphasis on his duties as a shutdown D. With a June 29th birthday, he's still quite young.

Vilen is a quality puck-mover who makes quick, accurate decisions, but keeps things mostly short, simple, and risk-free off of quick touches. There's no real sign of high-end creativity, or dynamism in his play- he's not flashy, and plays conservatively, but that's a good thing for a player of his ilk. By the same token, he's aptly skilled with the puck, but not really high-end in any area- his stickhandling won't dazzle anyone, but he maintains possession and has an enormous reach that aids him in protecting the puck. He's a solid skater with fluid 4-directional mobility and a quick first step, who can transition quickly. With his team set up in the offensive zone, Vilen walks the line effectively, and distributes accurately through seams he creates with his activity at the blueline. He rarely leaves his position high in the zone near the line, and doesn't usually activate unless it's to pinch up the boards to keep pucks alive, or to punch the puck in the direction of teammates, and away from enemies. His shot is average and isn't too threatening, mainly because it's not used a lot, except as a playmaking tool to create rebounds and second-chance opportunities for his teammates. Though he may not be the biggest hitter, he plays a physical game and uses his size and strength well in battles.

Vilen doesn't really push pace, or drive play, but he's a hard-worker and competitive. He makes retrievals look easy, with the way he scans his surroundings, and makes quick and accurate breakout passes under pressure. On occasion, he can really stretch the ice with a long-bomb to a streaking teammate. He has the skill and mobility to carry through transition now and then, but he mostly defers to his colleagues to do the carrying, but will participate in give-an-go's in the middle zone. Vilen takes pride in his role as a shutdown defenseman, taking away time and space by smothering puck-carriers with his stick, awareness, and body. He's disruptive with a defensive mentality in all 3 zones, with a long reach that's nearly impossible to escape, and infallible positioning. He removes chances from opponents to make high-danger plays by clogging lanes, and blocking passes. Against the rush, he keeps a tight gap on attackers, and closes quickly with his speed. He knows his assignments, and is often seen directing traffic. I believe Vilen has a good chance to make the NHL as a bottom-3 defenseman, as his offensive upside is questionable and many think he might just be a one-dimensional defensive-defenseman, which wouldn't be a bad thing. Look for him in later rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:38 AM   #2503
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Assuming Paras.ak and Vanacker are gone, I am really hoping that the Flames can get Henry Mews with the Vancouver pick. I think he has tonnes of upside. A right handed offensive defenseman,
I really love Mews, and have suggested the same thing. Alfons Freij is another. One player I really love though is Leo Sahlin Wellenius. He's been playing just under 30 minutes per game for Sweden in the U-18's, and looks unbelievable with his poise and calmness. He was second overall in the J20 league for scoring by D, with 42 points in 43 games.

Freij was 3rd overall in the J20 for scoring by D, with 33 points in 40 games.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:07 AM   #2504
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Soldier Edition):

I admire the Americans' National Team Development Program in the way that they turn the lesser players on the team into hardworking soldiers. It's for the same reason that I also dislike the NTDP. A player like LW Austin Baker would be playing further up a team's lineup if he were playing in the USHL, and would have more of a chance to show off his offense and put up greater numbers. On the national team however, he's playing behind the more elite players like Cole Eiserman, Teddy Stiga, James Hagens, Kamil Bednarik, Max Plante, and Christian Humphreys, and getting bottom-6 minutes in mostly checking scenarios, while the top players get more of the prime opportunities. Baker, who stands 6'0" and weighs in at a sturdy 192lbs, accumulated 31 points in 53 games (with 29 penalty-minutes) for the NTDP this season, and is currently over in Europe with the national team at the U-18 Tournament, with no points so far, and a high of 11:30 TOI. Baker is a well-rounded player, who's capable of playing in any situation, and spends time at the center position.

Baker is not flashy, but plays a reliable meat-and-potatoes style, winning battles with his positioning, stick, and tenacity- he's not overly physical in terms of hits, but will use his body as leverage to push his way around. He forechecks hard, dislodging pucks by leaving no time to react, or make decisions, and helps to wear down opponents on the cycle. There's nothing too fancy about his puck-skills, and he keeps things simple and risk-free, making sure he always keeps possession for his team. With the puck on his blade, he doesn't really drive play or push the pace too much. He's skilled, but not elite in any aspect, though he shows glimpses of high-end playmaking from time-to-time. He's smart enough that he can make good decisions quickly without forcing passes that aren't there, and has a fairly hard shot with superb accuracy to bulge the twine. He plays a greasy game in front of the net, fishing for loose pucks and pouncing on rebounds, with excellent hand-eye coordination to tip incoming shots. He's proficient at finishing plays, but has the hands and the moves to beat goalies in-close as well. Baker is not a burner, but moves well and can cover a ton of ice in a short time, with the ability to get to top speed quickly, and the lateral agility to lose checkers. To augment his mobility, he stays active and keeps his feet pumping hard- he also has strong edges, and can pivot on a dime. The wide stance he employs helps him to protect the puck, as well as his ability to handle away from his feet, and the way he angles his body against the sticks of checkers.

Baker is highly aware defensively, applying his work-ethic and relentless motor to this part of the game, and to his penalty-killing- where he plays a ton of minutes. He simply shines in his own zone, and has the reputation of being one of the national team's most reliable players in this area, with an acute attention to detail and good habits. Admirably, he is often the first forward back in the zone, and the last to leave. He supports his D down low, and smothers attackers by taking away all time and space with exemplary positioning, and an active stick. He has a disruptive mentality in all 3 zones, and can often stop the rush in the neutral zone, before it ever reaches the blueline. After stripping opponents of the puck in the defensive zone, he is adept at kickstarting the rush with a pass, or by completing a clean exit with control. Sometimes though, he can be caught watching the play, which ends up with him losing his man in traffic. There are plenty of questions about Baker's overall upside, but more specifically his offense. I see Baker as a future third-liner, with smart two-way play. Look for him in rounds 5 or 6.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:38 AM   #2505
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Assuming Paras.ak and Vanacker are gone, I am really hoping that the Flames can get Henry Mews with the Vancouver pick. I think he has tonnes of upside. A right handed offensive defenseman,
Yeah Mews could be a diamond in the rough, very impressive Hlinka last summer and has all the skills, as he fills out his shot should get harder and so should his physicality.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:27 AM   #2506
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just thinking out loud, would Eiserman be the Yang to Huberdeaus Ying?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:32 AM   #2507
serratedmuffin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://www.recruitscouting.com/2024...gtime-top-100/

I have no idea who this is but they put out their top 100 and their rankings are wild. It's always fun to see how different people rank players.
Some notables:
25. Justin Poirier
18. Anton Silayev
15. Yakemchuk
14. Parekh
13. Catton
8. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
3. Konsta Helenius
Old 04-29-2024, 07:40 AM   #2508
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
https://www.recruitscouting.com/2024...gtime-top-100/

I have no idea who this is but they put out their top 100 and their rankings are wild. It's always fun to see how different people rank players.
Some notables:
25. Justin Poirier
18. Anton Silayev
15. Yakemchuk
14. Parekh
13. Catton
8. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
3. Konsta Helenius
Quote:
Gabriel Foley is Recruit Scouting's Head of North American scouting and has over four years of experience intimately covering the USHL and the NHL Draft. He was previously a veteran NHL and MLB beat writer, having worked closely with both leagues since 2014. For more of Gabe's work, check him out on Twitter: @NHLFoley.
Not exactly a seasoned scout.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 07:54 AM   #2509
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want the Flames to take Poirier's brother just for ####s and giggles. Their lesser version of the Hughes bros lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 07:55 AM   #2510
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not exactly a seasoned scout.
Has nygaard at three. Yeesh.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:55 AM   #2511
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I feel like the Flames are going to take Helenius and he’s going to surprise by becoming the best center we’ve had in decades.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:11 AM   #2512
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think both our 1st's will address our top 2 needs.

High impact Forward
High offensive upside D

Which order those go, depends on how picks 2 through 9 go and whos available.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft