Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #1881
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

they certainly didn't bottle the PL, they had an outstanding campaign.

they completely bottled Europe though. Again.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #1882
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know but "bottled" is quickly becoming the most irritating and overused description. If United doesn't win EL have they bottled it? Spurs ought to have beaten Gent without question, but they weren't assured anything. They ought to have advanced from their group in the CL, but really no one in their right mind had them winning it.

I think if you want to find bottlers this year, look no further than Liverpool, City and the Woolwich Wanderers. Just a few months ago they were all closer to Chelsea than Spurs and none of them manged to put up a challenge.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #1883
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

reaching the last 4 in a competition is never "bottling".

finishing below Leverkusen in the CL and losing to Gent in the EL round of 32 certainly is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #1884
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
reaching the last 4 in a competition is never "bottling".

finishing below Leverkusen in the CL and losing to Gent in the EL round of 32 certainly is.
I can get behind this but the majority of the bottling labeling was used after the West Ham loss and surrendering the title to Chelsea.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #1885
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Look I get that you (and most United fans) desperately want him off the team, but you also desperately wanted Fellaini gone after last season and that didn't happen (and won't happen again this summer, Jose clearly values him). I think Rooney plays out his contract next year and then heads to the MLS, much more preferable to get the retirement money playing in LA or NY than Shanghai.
Look, I get that you desperately want him to stay but you've got to put forward a decent argument why you think he will when the newspaper reports suggest otherwise and try answering responses to your own claims.

What are your sources apart from your own personal he looks happy behind the bench and he's not complaining therefore that means he's happy observations. And why would Terry go and not Rooney when the latter would earn more coin.

Newspaper reports are suggesting that he's more likely to go than stay. To suggest otherwise without presenting anything to back it up is just wishful thinking on your behalf or ...desperation.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #1886
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I can get behind this but the majority of the bottling labeling was used after the West Ham loss and surrendering the title to Chelsea.
Have to disagree. It's the nature of dismissing a cross town rival; the constant patronizing of that team's stadium situation, transfer policy, and on-field performance..

Only then, for that rival whom you grossly inferiorized earlier, to be the club to formally eliminate you from winning the league.

That's Spurs'ish.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #1887
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so Jermain Defoe has an exit clause that allows him to leave for free in case of relegation (which has obviously happened). Scored 15 of Sunderlands 28 league goals, that's amazing. Will be interesting to see where he ends up, could be a nice value signing for a midtable club.

EDIT: looks like United at least included a 25% sell-on fee when they sold Michael Keane to Burnley two years ago. I'd gladly take him back at United and it looks like there's a good chance of that happening this summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...ke-shaw-risks/

Last edited by devo22; 05-08-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #1888
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
so Jermain Defoe has an exit clause that allows him to leave for free in case of relegation (which has obviously happened). Scored 15 of Sunderlands 28 league goals, that's amazing. Will be interesting to see where he ends up, could be a nice value signing for a midtable club.
I hope he ends up at a team like Bournemouth or Burnley - Burnley could use the goals, and both teams are good mid table stories: good english managers getting the most out of their lineups

Saying that, I bet West Ham offer up a truckload of money to get him
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #1889
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think JD can start anymore for a club, at least as a lone striker

he only has 4 goals in the last 4 months, had 11 in the first half of the season

if someone gets him as a super sub, starts 10-15 games and comes on as a sub in 30ish (depending on cup runs) thats the perfect role for him, and he would excel

not everyone has the super sub mentality too, which is a plus for him because he's done it before
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #1890
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Have to disagree. It's the nature of dismissing a cross town rival; the constant patronizing of that team's stadium situation, transfer policy, and on-field performance..

Only then, for that rival whom you grossly inferiorized earlier, to be the club to formally eliminate you from winning the league.

That's Spurs'ish.
Lol, they didn't​formally end the title challenge though. Chelsea is doing that (and could wrap it up Friday). West Ham won a game and for them that's a big deal because it happens so infrequently. It's fine though because I think we also ended their title bid back in November at the lane.

And those other things (stadium, transfer policy, etc.) all still remain. Isn't it about that time of year they say they're interested in Mbappe or other big fish? The comedy is just beginning!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #1891
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Look, I get that you desperately want him to stay but you've got to put forward a decent argument why you think he will when the newspaper reports suggest otherwise and try answering responses to your own claims.

What are your sources apart from your own personal he looks happy behind the bench and he's not complaining therefore that means he's happy observations. And why would Terry go and not Rooney when the latter would earn more coin.

Newspaper reports are suggesting that he's more likely to go than stay. To suggest otherwise without presenting anything to back it up is just wishful thinking on your behalf or ...desperation.
True story: If you search "Rooney China" on Twitter or Google, the latest stories are from February/March, none of which are actually saying he's going and are mostly speculating if it's his next stop. In fact searching "Rooney China", the most recent articles about him moving on involve Everton or West Ham. As a United fan though surely you're used to the fact the rags over in the UK love to push United rumours to drive clicks. I mean you know there's many "Neymar/Bale are coming to United" articles coming this summer right?

I don't care whether he's at United or not, just that I doubt he leaves for China. I think if you want him gone you'd better hope someone in the PL wants him (and United be willing to eat like 65% of his wages).
Old 05-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #1892
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
True story: If you search "Rooney China" on Twitter or Google, the latest stories are from February/March, none of which are actually saying he's going and are mostly speculating if it's his next stop. In fact searching "Rooney China", the most recent articles about him moving on involve Everton or West Ham. As a United fan though surely you're used to the fact the rags over in the UK love to push United rumours to drive clicks. I mean you know there's many "Neymar/Bale are coming to United" articles coming this summer right?

I don't care whether he's at United or not, just that I doubt he leaves for China. I think if you want him gone you'd better hope someone in the PL wants him (and United be willing to eat like 65% of his wages).
It's really the case for all of the big clubs. I think that they have virtually the entire starting squad for Spurs leaving for somewhere at this point.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #1893
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally I hope United don't spend too much this summer. I'm tired of the "just throw money at the problem" tactics, it's obvious that these things never work unless you're buying for need only. Woodward has simply bought too many expensive pieces that don't fit together.

As a United fan, I'd rather see them spend wisely for players that make sense and also develop young players. Seeing 9-year-old Rashford and Tuanzebe going from U10 all the way to playing in the PL together ten years later brings me more joy than the next Galactico type transfer.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #1894
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I've been a Spurs supporter for over 30 years now and I've never been more proud of my club.

I've grown used to being Spursy - it sucks to always assume you'll blow it and i've always been honest with myself when tottenham have done just that.

I don't believe this season was a bottle job.
  • In a season when Sky said it was Arsenal, Chelsea, Pep and Jose's title to win - here we are pushing Chelsea into May, but we're the bottlers?
  • We never led the league once this year - this isn't the same as when Liverpool let it slip.
  • We had European football to deal with - Chelsea haven't
  • This is the second year in a row of incredible standing in the EPL
  • All things considered our bench is weak and we've dealt amazingly well to injuries to key players. Toby, Kane and losing Lamela basically all season.
  • We've done it on a net spend of $15m and reasonable wages (by football standards.
I don't recall Sky having Arsenal, Pep or Jose as favourites ahead of Spurs.

Wasn't this supposed to be Spurs year ... again? The two Manchester teams and Chelsea under new managers, Arsenal in decline.

Wasn't this the year when Poch solidified his team, when it would all come together? It always seems to be next year.

What happens next year? Oh we didn't win it because we are at Wembley? The year after? Have to get used to the new WHL? After that? We're still paying the stadium off?

I said it before but the difference between Spurs and Arsenal fans is that Spurs fans appear to be content with failure, it's acceptable. Arsenal are not.

What are the expectations? Top 4 and that's a success? How long do you give Poch without delivering something or is it a Wenger job that as long as he generates CL revenue his job is safe?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 AM   #1895
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a brighter note though.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #1896
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal fans are mad because they got stuck in a rut. Finish 3rd or 4th, out of the title race by February, out of the cl at r16

That happened every year, of course their fans got insufferable about it

But if arsenal miss the top 4 for a few years, bring in a new manager and struggle for a bit. Don't pretend they wont start viewing top 4 as the goal

Fans always want to move up a level, not stay the same
Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #1897
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
On a brighter note though.

Going to be awkward playing on a pitch that has a second stadium in the way

As far as the Spurs domestic campaign goes they had a great season - they are likely to finish around 83 points which is pretty much always at least 2nd place in the league and would have won them the title last year.

Europe was an issue for them this year though IMO, they really should have made it out of the group stages in the CL at least and not being able to do that has to be considered a big disappointment. 1 point out of their 4 games against Monaco and Leverkusen has to be considered a failure.

The CL failure is especially painful when it comes to their ambitions next year. A good run in the CL could have allowed them to really attract players to add to their nice (mostly) home grown core of Alli, Kane, Dyer, Walker, & Rose, and dropping out of the group stage of that competition may cost them there.

Still between their Premier League prize money, and their CL price money they are looking at $200M in revenue this year, which should allow them to add to the squad.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-09-2017 at 09:57 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #1898
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Going to be awkward playing on a pitch that has a second stadium in the way

As far as the Spurs domestic campaign goes they had a great season - they are likely to finish around 83 points which is pretty much always at least 2nd place in the league and would have won them the title last year.

Europe was an issue for them this year though IMO, they really should have made it out of the group stages in the CL at least and not being able to do that has to be considered a big disappointment. 1 point out of their 4 games against Monaco and Leverkusen has to be considered a failure.

The CL failure is especially painful when it comes to their ambitions next year. A good run in the CL could have allowed them to really attract players to add to their nice (mostly) home grown core of Alli, Kane, Dyer, Walker, & Rose, and dropping out of the group stage of that competition may cost them there.

Still between their Premier League prize money, and their CL price money they are looking at $200M in revenue this year, which should allow them to add to the squad.
The other thing is that they don't really need to spend a bunch this summer. They still need to find coverage for Kane (again) and could maybe add another wide player to replace Lamela or upgrade RB if Walker continues to decline, but other than that there aren't a lot of holes in the starting XI and most of their purchases should be about shoring up their depth.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #1899
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be happy with 4 players

Ryan Sessegnon seems to be done, he'd be a perfect backup for Rose. Davies is a future CB anyway, he plays there for Wales. I would move him there if/when Wimmer gets sold

Zaha and Barkley are heavily rumored. I think Zaha would be a great signing, Barkley I'm not sure if he would want to come in and be a backup. He would be behind Eriksen and Alli up top, maybe Poch wants to make him deeper. Tielemens the Guardian had something the other day about him too, would be either or with Barkley.

Plus a Striker, I wouldnt sell Janssen, his link up play has been great and he has gotten a ton of chances. I think he's had an unlucky year and there are so many players under Poch who improved their 2nd year here. But a striker who can play wide also makes a ton of sense. Moussa Dembele (celtic version) would make a ton of sense, and might be gotten a bit cheaper as others focus more on Mbappe, PAE etc.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #1900
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is interesting out of Dortmund

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...edium=referral

a ton of other places have it too, to me that's the kind of guy Arsenal should be going after, he fixed Dortmund after Klopp broke it

if they keep Wenger for another year or two might miss out