Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #1101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Waiting for Terraforming Mars to arrive at Revolution Games. They said before Xmas, but I doubt that now.
Terraforming Mars is good, but it's not as mind-blowing as some of the buzz would have you believe. I wouldn't stress about getting it after Christmas.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #1102
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone on here tried the Star Wars: Destiny card/dice game yet?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #1103
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Been purposely avoiding it as I already don't have enough time to play Imperial Assault, but it does look fun I've never played a collectible game but I have heard they are the devil (magic).
Old 12-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #1104
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Been purposely avoiding it as I already don't have enough time to play Imperial Assault, but it does look fun I've never played a collectible game but I have heard they are the devil (magic).
Oh #### - it's a CCG? Fantasy Flight doesn't usually do those - that sucks. I much prefer the LCG format.

Last edited by Coys1882; 12-08-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #1105
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya there was massive uproar on the forums about it, everyone saying I hate you FFG for doing this because I can't help myself!! lol

The game is getting good reviews, it looks fast paced and very entertaining and of course everything is top notch FFG quality. But CCG's piss me off because it just becomes about who can buy the better deck down the road. Draft party's are fun though.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #1106
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #1107
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Played a new board game over the holidays called Istanbul. You play as a merchant trying to collect the most amount of rubies, which you acquire in various ways.

Very easy to pick up and play for the first time, and there are several strategies for winning the game. I would recommend.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148949/istanbul
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #1108
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was given Ticket to Ride for Xmas. I've wanted this one for a while and I am looking forward to playing it.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #1109
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played some Terraforming Mars last night.

First play through we played it totally wrong (1-2 actions per generation instead of playing a generation until everyone passed)

Second play through was great.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #1110
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The family got a few card games for Christmas - Bohnanza, Dutch Blitz, and Munchkin Marvel Edition. Bohnanza is fun, plays pretty quick and there is a reasonable trade of strategy vs luck. Dutch Blitz we are just getting the hang of, yet another occasion where YouTube gameplay videos come in handy as the included instructions were poorly translated. Munchkin Marvel plays pretty similar to Munchkin but I think it is not as well balanced as you can get hugely powerful pretty quick. But I do like that they include level trackers. Also got a dice game called Left Center Right, which is good to teach the kids gambling.

Picked up Dominion on a Boxing day sale, but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #1111
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got Scythe for Xmas and we popped it open Friday night. I've always enjoyed worker placement games like Champions of Midgard. This game absolutely blew me away. The rest of my game group seemed to like it too. I think I'll give it another round or two before getting the expansion.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #1112
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Aeneas and I tried a few games of 7 Wonders over the holidays.

I really like it, but can't understand why people are winning and losing.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #1113
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Scythe I think is game of the year for me, so well done. I got a buddy who picked up the expansion for Christmas so I am looking forward to trying it with more people.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #1114
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Aeneas and I tried a few games of 7 Wonders over the holidays.

I really like it, but can't understand why people are winning and losing.
Beaten by an 8 year old. Crazy, that last game I was trying to give him advice. Don't build so many red buildings, you have way more than you neighbours; build something else. Then he wins, again.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #1115
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
The family got a few card games for Christmas - Bohnanza, Dutch Blitz, and Munchkin Marvel Edition. Bohnanza is fun, plays pretty quick and there is a reasonable trade of strategy vs luck. Dutch Blitz we are just getting the hang of, yet another occasion where YouTube gameplay videos come in handy as the included instructions were poorly translated. Munchkin Marvel plays pretty similar to Munchkin but I think it is not as well balanced as you can get hugely powerful pretty quick. But I do like that they include level trackers. Also got a dice game called Left Center Right, which is good to teach the kids gambling.

Picked up Dominion on a Boxing day sale, but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.
Bohnanza is fun. We finally played a full game with the Pirates expansion that we bought a while back, and that added another layer of strategy that was fun. With expansion or without, a good game that sometimes forces you to outright help your opponents, because not doing so would screw yourself over.

Dutch Blitz has long been a family favourite. One note, there are some house rules that very literally everyone I've ever played this with uses, that are not actually in the rules. For example, if your 4 faceup cards before the start of play add up to 30 or more, you can reshuffle and deal them again - making the game so that there aren't uncompetitive players in the round. Also, I have literally been kicked out of games for playing by the rules that are given in the game - the other players saying that it was a house rule to remove that section if the rules, without mentioning it of course. But in the circles I play this, some veteran players have never even heard of the rule.

Dominion is a game that gets better with more expansions. I have the Big Box Version, which gives me the Alchemy and Prosperity expansions, plus I also have Seaside, Cornucopia, and Guilds. Dark ages is a fun expansion that I don't have, but have played with others. I have played online against the computer extensively, except using the newest two expansions. Dominion is one game that works well for only 2 players. Some other games have modified rules to make it work with 2 players, but Dominion works really well. Expansions do not need to be purchased in order, but I wouldn't recommend Guilds for example as a first expansion. Games can vary widely due to the great range of cards. With multiple expansions, sometimes there can be combinations of cards that can be extremely powerful, without being obviously so at first glance. One potential fault with Dominion is that sometimes the winner is not in doubt a while before the game is actually over (Settlers of Catan is similar in this way)
Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #1116
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been playing Feast for Odin recently. It incorporates a puzzle type element (almost Tetris-ish) along with the worker placement which really drives the game. Unique in respect to the many games played over the years and a neat solo element in a multi-player game. Very enjoyable...
Old 01-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #1117
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
One potential fault with Dominion is that sometimes the winner is not in doubt a while before the game is actually over (Settlers of Catan is similar in this way)
I often see the early leader in Catan get hand-cuffed by the robber and trade embargoes. You could be stuck on 7-8 points for a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #1118
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Had my first taste of Pandemic Legacy the other night, wow what a great game. Base Pandemic is fun but it can get stale after a few games, the legacy addition is really neat as it permanently alters the game and creates a totally unique experience where you get to upgrade your characters and make tough decisions.

Highly recommend, I've played a lot of co-op games but I think this one is the most fun and group engaging.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #1119
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So the wife and I are having more and more card/board game nights with others. So much so that we've been considering a board game table that can convert to a dining table.

Prices out there seem very high, especially for never seeing the quality in person yet. Has anyone ever seen a McFadden table? They seem to be the cheapest and as an added plus they are in Canada.

Also tossed the idea about finding somebody to build me one, but I'm not quite sure if that's a good idea as I wouldn't know where to start for design
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #1120
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Design seems pretty easy, really. What do you need beyond the size and choice of materials? Maybe you want cupholders or something built into it, but even that doesn't seem terribly complex.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
V