Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #1361
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

No experience, but compare the prices to what you can order online, might help negotiate the price down if you don't want to order and install yourself.

Generic: https://www.blinds.ca/p/blindsca-fla...r-shade/520110
https://www.blindsgalore.ca/product/...d-sheer-shades

Bali name brand: https://www.blinds.ca/p/bali-layered-shade/531112
Old 06-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #1362
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the in-tile heating, I am a bit confused how it is supposed to operate - does it heat up fast enough that you just flip a switch and you have an instantly warm floor, or do you need to keep it on all the time, or meticulously schedule your bathroom time so that you turn it on in advance? If I am doing a bathroom remodel, is the cost and effort worth it?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #1363
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
No experience, but compare the prices to what you can order online, might help negotiate the price down if you don't want to order and install yourself.

Generic: https://www.blinds.ca/p/blindsca-fla...r-shade/520110
https://www.blindsgalore.ca/product/...d-sheer-shades

Bali name brand: https://www.blinds.ca/p/bali-layered-shade/531112
Yeah, Bali ends up being a few hundred dollars more expensive after everything including an installation, while the generic brand ends up being a few hundred dollars less. Which makes this local option surprisingly reasonable, from where I'm sitting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #1364
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
For the in-tile heating, I am a bit confused how it is supposed to operate - does it heat up fast enough that you just flip a switch and you have an instantly warm floor, or do you need to keep it on all the time, or meticulously schedule your bathroom time so that you turn it on in advance? If I am doing a bathroom remodel, is the cost and effort worth it?
It takes time to warm up. We did our bathrooms and run it this way. It's really not much different than a thermostat for your furnace - set it to fluctuate throughout the day depending on your schedule. Ours is on briefly in the morning and then again for when we get home at the end of the work day (and stays on for the evening). Cat's love it too, it's one of their favorite places to sleep in our house.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #1365
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, Bali ends up being a few hundred dollars more expensive after everything including an installation, while the generic brand ends up being a few hundred dollars less. Which makes this local option surprisingly reasonable, from where I'm sitting.
Yeah that is surprising actually, but I haven't tried to deal with a local blinds company for quite a long time. If the cost was almost the same I'd go with local as long as the brand they're carrying isn't junk IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They usually have a thermostat of their own that you can program to either come on on a schedule, or go on if the room temperature goes below a certain level. I think you can even have a sensor installed so it can go by the temperature of the floor itself.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #1366
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always the last half inch that counts...

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/06/lawsu...-be-you-moron/

They should drop 1/2 x 1/2 slivers of wood adding up to five million dollars on their driveway.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #1367
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

We are thinking of putting in built in shelves on both sides of our fireplace (large cabinet on the floor, then shelves above). Anyone with experiences doing this or have a recommendation of place that would build and install?

How about cost? Would be floor to ceiling, apx 5 ft wide on each side. Not too picky on type of wood, but would be painting it white.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #1368
CCope
Draft Pick

Default Way to tell what kind of siding I have?

House was built 1981. Siding looks like composite wood board, but I'm not sure. How do I determine what type of siding it is? Outer finish is starting to come off in places, and a few boards are warping. I'm trying to figure out if it's paintable or just needs to be replaced totally.
CCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 AM   #1369
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
We are thinking of putting in built in shelves on both sides of our fireplace (large cabinet on the floor, then shelves above). Anyone with experiences doing this or have a recommendation of place that would build and install?

How about cost? Would be floor to ceiling, apx 5 ft wide on each side. Not too picky on type of wood, but would be painting it white.
We had this done by California Closets. On the left, drawers that could fit DVDs on the bottom, a couple of glass shelves above, then a glass-fronted cabinet above. On the right a large cabinet for A/V gear and wiring and two floating shelves above for cable box, DVD player, etc.

Dimensions are about 30" wide on either side, and cost was about $5,500 for the finish we chose. Very happy with the final result. If you're a Costco member you might start with their custom closet company (forget who it is...)
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #1370
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCope View Post
House was built 1981. Siding looks like composite wood board, but I'm not sure. How do I determine what type of siding it is? Outer finish is starting to come off in places, and a few boards are warping. I'm trying to figure out if it's paintable or just needs to be replaced totally.
Sounds like X90, it is paintable. Use a high quality oil based exterior paint. General makes a really good one.

Google painting x90.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #1371
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know if there is a height limit with decks?

My neighbor had a deck installed that the floor of said deck is higher than our fence (his house is a walkout basement type, and the terrain sloping).

Anyways, it's kinda annoying, as anytime we're in the yard, they walk out to see what we're up to (I think I've mentioned they are kinda nosy and a bunch of loudmouths)
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #1372
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post

My neighbor had a deck installed that the floor of said deck is higher than our fence (his house is a walkout basement type, and the terrain sloping).

Anyways, it's kinda annoying, as anytime we're in the yard, they walk out to see what we're up to (I think I've mentioned they are kinda nosy and a bunch of loudmouths)
Rather than have an ask and answer session with you, if you Google "Deck height limit Calgary" You will find what you're looking for.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #1373
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing I've read says anything about a height limit. My last house had a deck that was much higher than the fence. I'm sure you could ask the City to see if they got a building permit.

Sounds like you need to install some trees.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #1374
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

1.5m I think

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...ons/Decks.aspx
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #1375
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like your house is lower than his, and he has a regular walk out. I'm not sure why you would think this makes his deck against a bylaw?

Like V said, sounds like you need some trees.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #1376
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.5 meters unless it's over a walkout basement I think. Lots of walkout houses have decks way higher than the neighboring fences. Sucks though for sure.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #1377
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
1.5m is only the limit if you don't have a walkout basement out the back of the house. Sounds like this guy has a walkout. So the only limit appears to be 0.3m above the grade of the main floor.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #1378
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:

Unfortunately doesn't look like it. It's sort of vague on walkouts, not sure if that would count as a first floor and technically make the deck a balcony per the bylaw. If so, the floor of the balcony can't be higher than 0.3m above the first floor.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #1379
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Rather than have an ask and answer session with you, if you Google "Deck height limit Calgary" You will find what you're looking for.
Lol, or he gets 6 replies with the same answer anyways
Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #1380
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
That's not correct, this is for a non-walkout. A walkout it would be considered a balcony rather than a deck.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote