Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 04:45 AM   #261
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I had more problem with the narrative voice over than the UFO. Yeah, I got it was Martin from the first season, though I didn't see it. Just kinda took me away from the story. Would been good if it was the final episode, but obviously it wasn't.

Still a solid episode, if not quirky
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #262
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

From start to finish, one of the best seasons of ANYTHING I have watched on television. The ending was frustratingly open and ambiguous, which totally fit. So many homages to No Country for Old Men in the last handful of episodes (Hanzee/Clerk conversation, Mike Milligan's 'friend-o', Hanzee diving behind the car after seeing Lou's reflection in the mirror).

The flash forward to the present was cool. Betsy's phrasing and the unpredictability of the show had me wondering if Lou was actually going to live, or if we were going to veer off into some altered universe.

Were those two kids at the end Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #263
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
From start to finish, one of the best seasons of ANYTHING I have watched on television. The ending was frustratingly open and ambiguous, which totally fit. So many homages to No Country for Old Men in the last handful of episodes (Hanzee/Clerk conversation, Mike Milligan's 'friend-o', Hanzee diving behind the car after seeing Lou's reflection in the mirror).

The flash forward to the present was cool. Betsy's phrasing and the unpredictability of the show had me wondering if Lou was actually going to live, or if we were going to veer off into some altered universe.

Were those two kids at the end Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench?
I think so:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-from-season-1
Old 12-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #264
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Ho...ly...crap.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #265
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need to watch season 1 again
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #266
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

That intro with War Pigs by Black Sabbath was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. This is one of the best seasons of any TV show ever filmed IMO, 9.5/10. It only loses a half-point for the weird UFO scene, I prefer it when they just allude to the really weird crazy #### instead of bluntly showing it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #267
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That intro with War Pigs by Black Sabbath was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. This is one of the best seasons of any TV show ever filmed IMO, 9.5/10. It only loses a half-point for the weird UFO scene, I prefer it when they just allude to the really weird crazy #### instead of bluntly showing it
It put me off until I read that interview that Dion posted. Add that to the brief reference to the situation in the finale, and I'm converting to accepting in this universe Hawley and the Coens are creating.

I am re-watching the first season right now (partly because I'm trying to get my roommate hooked on the show, and partly because I just want to), and there are so many instances of randomness and convenience that it plays into the general theme and narrative structure.

The "impossible" becomes relevant to the story and "true" crime element.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #268
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

anybody else think that peggy's image of hanzee while she was in the freezer was very reminiscent of another tv villain?
Spoiler!

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #269
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow I loved the second season. Not as much of an epic journey as the Wire but just as satisfying in the end.

Mike Milligan's ending has to be the cruelest thing I've ever witnessed on screen. It still rattles me when I think about it.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #270
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
Wow I loved the second season. Not as much of an epic journey as the Wire but just as satisfying in the end.

Mike Milligan's ending has to be the cruelest thing I've ever witnessed on screen. It still rattles me when I think about it.
Milligan's ending made me think of this skit

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #271
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^ lol. Man wish the thanks button was on. I'd probably spend it all on this thread. Why the hell is it so hard get Calgarians to watch this show? I have no one except you guys to ponder this great piece of cinema with.

Might have to make a few memory sticks for stocking stuffers.

Last edited by blueski; 12-16-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #272
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The 2 shows I'm watching right now are Fargo and The Walking Dead. I can't say enough about Fargo. It makes Walking Dead seems so boring and drawn out in comparison.

I can't wait to see what direction or era season 3 is set.
Yeah that describes my take too pretty much. I despise a lot of the characters in walking dead, but it's hard to find any that I didn't totally love in Fargo season 2. I've found myself surfing cpuck on some walking dead episodes this season.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #273
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Fargo creator Noah Hawley says 'it's certainly our plan' to return to Alberta for Season 3

Quote:
“It’s certainly our plan to,” Hawley says. “We’ve had a great production experience up there for both seasons and have trained our crew and our departments to make the show Fargo and certainly our goal is to come back and do it again.”

It’s the first time anyone has commented on whether the Emmy-winning series will return to the region. Last month, FX announced the show would return for a third season but would not confirm whether Alberta would be the location, as it was for the first two seasons.
Quote:
Hawley said production on Season 3 likely won’t start until November of 2016 and will air in the spring of 2017.

“It’s a winter show, for better or worse, ” he said. “There is not time to shoot another year before this winter is over … I think one of the strengths of the show is that we separate the writing from the production and we really take the time and we write the whole story and write eight of the 10 hours at least and we end up there knowing exactly what we’re doing and exactly what the whole story is. We are going through the writing process now.”
Quote:
Hawley said he has written the first hour of the third season, which will take place in 2010. But he denied that main characters from Season 1, which took place in 2006, will be featured prominently in the new season. There had been some speculation that the first season’s protagonist, Molly Solverson (Allison Tolman) might return.

“As much as I love those actors and those characters, the danger of bringing them back and putting them through their paces for another crazy case is that the artifice of the whole thing becomes too clear and suddenly it just feels we’re doing it because it’s fun and we like them, but we’ve broken our own rules,” he said.

“That’s not to say that one of our stories might not intersect with characters we’ve seen before for a certain period of time. But I don’t think we can say that two years later, Molly gets a phone call and you’ll never believe what happened and here we go again.”
Quote:
While Hawley did not reveal any plot points or cast for Season 3, he did offer a hint of what one of the themes will be.

“Our first year was set in 2006 but we didn’t really deal with what it was like to be in that region in a more contemporary world and I like the idea that we’re now living in a very selfie-oriented culture where people photograph what they’re eating and put it up for other people to see,” he says. “It feels like a social dynamic that is very antithetical to the sort of Lutheran pragmatism of the region. I like the idea of setting these very pragmatic and humble people against a culture of narcissism and see what that generates story-wise.”
http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...a-for-season-3#
Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 AM   #274
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The last episode was great up to the point where they go too far to connect to Season 1. It felt a bit like George Lucas cramming C3P0 into the prequels having him being built by Anakin Skywalker.

Spoiler!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #275
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Awesome news!

Ewan McGregor to Star in ‘Fargo’ Season 3

“Star Wars” veteran Ewan McGregor will star in the third season of FX’s Emmy-winning anthology series “Fargo.”

According to Deadline, he’ll play a dual role, as brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...argo-season-3/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #276
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Awesome news!

Ewan McGregor to Star in ‘Fargo’ Season 3

“Star Wars” veteran Ewan McGregor will star in the third season of FX’s Emmy-winning anthology series “Fargo.”

According to Deadline, he’ll play a dual role, as brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...argo-season-3/

Kind of unfortunate that he is now know for the Star Wars prequels rather than his more critically acclaimed body of work.

Exciting to hear of the next season though. Hope they do another open casting call for extras again.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #277
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Ewan! That so freakin awesome, AND trainspotting 2 is coming!
Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #278
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of the props from season 2 is for sale if you're looking for a classic ride this summer:

1979 Lincoln Continental MARK V & FARGO Season 2 Bad Guy's Car.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Old 05-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #279
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy. The sale price is approximately equivalent to it's yearly fuel costs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #280
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 3 of Fargo to be shot in Alberta, FX confirms
http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...ta-fx-confirms