Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Kid killed his mother because she took away COD.

Quote:
“I’m not joking at all. She’s dead. I’m scared. I killed my mom with my .22. I don’t know why I did it,” he told the 911 dispatcher. "I tried to rape her. I tried to rape her but I couldn’t do it." He spoke of playing Call of Duty and said his mother took it away because he got bad grades. “Something just came over me,” he said.
http://kotaku.com/call-of-duty-blame...birt-491086348

Just wow....

Last edited by miraisoup; 05-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
miraisoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did he camp her into frustration first?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraisoup View Post
http://kotaku.com/call-of-duty-blame...birt-491086348

Just wow....

EDIT: also realized the fail in grammar, killed him mom.....super english. Can I change that? or is that a mod thing?
Double click just beside the title in the forum list to edit the thread name.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks dude.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do smrt people really buy an 11 yr old a gun for his birthday?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
They do, if the comparison is giving a rifle to your 5-year old

http://gawker.com/2-year-old-girl-sh...ther-486174051
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Completely depends on the 11 year old.

The not smart part is giving said 11 year old free access to that gun.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So COD is the Red Herring here. Sounds like the boy has some mental illness. Give a person like that a gun, knife, or really nothing and these things can happen.

I won't blame the parents as even the best ones don't catch all the signs until later in life. Really tragic, and I just hope the kid can get the meds, and the peace he needs to live with himself for the next 80 years.

EDIT: I'm not a doctor so I won't pretend to diagnose exact issue.

Last edited by OldDutch; 05-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So COD is the Red Herring here. Sounds like the boy has some mental illness, most likely schizophrenia. Give a person like that a gun, knife, or really nothing and these things can happen.

I won't blame the parents as even the best ones don't catch all the signs until later in life. Really tragic, and I just hope the kid can get the meds, and the peace he needs to live with himself for the next 80 years.
COD, and similar games, are probably a contributing factor in mental issues. An 11year old can't differentiate between video games and reality like an adult can.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
COD, and similar games, are probably a contributing factor in mental issues. An 11year old can't differentiate between video games and reality like an adult can.

Contributing factor in mental issues? Sure. But that second sentence is pushing it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't fully disagree. I am just saying that COD may only be a trigger, not an underlying cause.

I am sure these episodes have played out over the course of history. Mother takes away the favorite dog, wooden train, clothes, etc. This kid was just waiting on some trigger to go off.

Yes, COD may have increased or sped along this kids episode, but I am of the opinion this would have happened at some point in his life. His boss chewing him out, police harassment, his wife leaving him. He was a ticking time bomb and didn't know it.

I make it a point not to expose my child to violence of any type. I think too many parents are lax on this. I will full on get up and change the channel if someone is even watching boxing. Why does my 2 year old need to see that?

Most parents should do the same. However, I believe in some cases not even the best parenting can stop some of the absolute severe cases. Let's admit that, it is a severe case. Sure most kids will lash out, but not many try and rape their mother before killing them. That falls into a whole nother' level for me, mental illness.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So COD is the Red Herring here. Sounds like the boy has some mental illness. Give a person like that a gun, knife, or really nothing and these things can happen.

EDIT: I'm not a doctor so I won't pretend to diagnose exact issue.
Even the gun control angle is a red herring. A 11 year old with a .22 isnt unreasonable at all. Access and storage are an issue here but an 11 year old getting a .22 is reasonable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Contributing factor in mental issues? Sure. But that second sentence is pushing it.
What I mean is, an 11year old playing violent video games, learns that violence is reality. An adult, generally, can realize that real life isn't like COD.

If this kid was as engrossed in Tetris, as they were in COD, then had Tetris taken away, they would be far less likely to shoot their mom in retaliation. That's why there is ratings on movies and video games.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think people are focusing too much on the killing part, and not enough on the fact an 11 year old kid wanted to rape his mother.

He didn't get that from CoD. He got that from having a wire loose in his brain somewhere.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think people are focusing too much on the killing part, and not enough on the fact an 11 year old kid wanted to rape his mother.

He didn't get that from CoD. He got that from having a wire loose in his brain somewhere.
He got the killing from video games.
He got the rape from bad movies.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do smart parents buy their 11 year old kid COD?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What I mean is, an 11year old playing violent video games, learns that violence is reality. An adult, generally, can realize that real life isn't like COD.

If this kid was as engrossed in Tetris, as they were in COD, then had Tetris taken away, they would be far less likely to shoot their mom in retaliation. That's why there is ratings on movies and video games.
I'm sorry, but this is a pretty huge stretch to claim CoD "exacerbated" his condition to the point where he shot his mother 20 times, and then attempted to rape her.

Sounds more like a gut reaction rather than anything backed up by science, research, and peer review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a pretty huge stretch to claim CoD "exacerbated" his condition to the point where he shot his mother 20 times, and then attempted to rape her.

Sounds more like a gut reaction rather than anything backed up by science, research, and peer review.
I should note that the science is very contradictory. There are reports going both directions as to whether or not violent games actually encourage violent activity.

As a gut reaction though, mental condition seems to be a huge thing here. It's unlikely someone who goes to that far an extreme would have been affected by the type of game. Rarely, if ever, can I think the game itself being the primary contributor, but being more of a catalyst.

The problem is that it's an image issue. People keep seeing kids getting games which are rated far above what they should be allowed to get. See: Call of Duty and a pre-teen child here. This would remove the instant "He was playing a violent game that he shouldn't and killed someone. Most kids don't play that game. Therefore, that game caused violence" association (I admit, this is logically incorrect, but it's the logic I hear most often).

I think a major factor for games losing this association is for parents to purchase games for kids responsibly. Seriously, who buys an M rated game for a 11 year old? Would you take that kid in to see the Saw franchise? If the answer is no, then why let them own Halo or the like? I agree that the ratings are subjective, but parents need to take an active role in understanding what that rating scale actually means and do their own work instead of buying whatever game their kid asks them to.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Seriously, who buys an M rated game for a 11 year old?
Chaces are if you're buying your 11 year old a gun, you're not too worried about buying your 14 year old COD.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It can be shown that violent media (games included) can increase aggression levels, but it's also important to note that doesn't mean it necessarily leads to aggressive behaviour. Chances are if you drive the Deerfoot on a day with heavy traffic and an outside temperature above 20 degrees your aggression levels will go through the roof (likely higher than playing a game). That doesn't necessarily mean you're going to rape somebody because of it.

This kid clearly has some screws loose, so giving him access to firearms was just about the worst possible idea. Giving him Call of Duty is of course a bad idea as well, but it's probably just one piece of a very broken machine.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: