Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Acolatse 1 0.38%
Agostino 113 43.13%
Billins 1 0.38%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 5 1.91%
Cundari 4 1.53%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Hanowski 2 0.76%
Harrison 0 0%
Hickey 3 1.15%
Jooris 1 0.38%
Kanzig 26 9.92%
McDonald 40 15.27%
Ollas Mattson 1 0.38%
Rafikov 2 0.76%
Ramage 1 0.38%
Roy 1 0.38%
Smith 43 16.41%
Thiessen 0 0%
Van Brabant 1 0.38%
Wolf 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agostino here.

Then following by McDonald and Smith in that order.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Decided to go with Smith over Agostino. That size on the RW position, combined with his hustle screams to me that this kid could be an excellent third-liner or a good second line power forward. Not sure Agostino would get to that, but one can never know for sure.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went with Mason McDonald. For me he was the top goalie prospect in the 2014 draft. He's a few years away, and goalies are always a crapshoot, but he's a top prospect.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #24
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mcdonald again.
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took Smith over McDonald because goalies are too unpredictable. Agostino doesn't excite me, don't like he chances on being a regular NHLer.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
I think Wolf has a great chance to make the NHL this year, but I don't really consider him much of a "prospect" at this point, but more of a pro player who is transitioning over the way Cervenka did. Wolf is the player he is at this point, and I don't see much more potential out of him than what he is already playing at.

For those reasons, I will be abstaining any vote for Wolf. I think he could be a good player, but I think it skews prospect rankings to put him in the mix. I don't think anyone who has played 3 professional seasons or more (AHL or European men's league) and is over 23 should be thought of as a prospect. Same goes for Billins, Cundari, Acolatse, or Thiessen (even though he is a goalie, 28 years old is just too old to be considered a prospect).

Hanowski gets a pass for one more year, as does Elson, Jooris, and Ramage. Next year they are on the cusp of what I would consider an AHL journeyman rather than a prospect.

This round it's Agostino, who looked like he can become a bit of a goalscorer in the NHL if not for some bad luck during his cup of coffee. A little training and coaching and he could be a serviceable bottom 6 forward with some offensive upside. I like the way he thinks the game and anticipates the play, just have to get him some experience at the pro level first.
If you take the German pro league at face value --- even equivalent to the AHL, then Wolf would be favoured only make the team, but will likely be in the top 9.

Same sort of minor league scoring as Granlund and Rienhart and far ahead of Baertschi and considerable tougher.

I don't think that we have a good indication of how good (or bad) Wolf is. There are no comparables coming out of that league. That is why he is a prospect.

On the Freezers 29 year old Philppe Dupuis had 119 NHL games and was well down the scoring list behind Wolf.

An aging Jochen Hecht (37) went from a full time Buffalo Sabres in 2012-13 to the Mannhiem Eagles and had 39 pts in 46 games about the same as Wolf's 40 in 48.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #27
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not entirely sold on Agostino yet. I felt like he was a little over his head in the NHL, which is understandable. I didn't feel like he made an impact with the Flames - he was just... there.

I think a full year of AHL time will be huge for him. I think he could be a decent bottom-6er. Not sure he'll ever have an offensive side to his game, but we'll see.

I went with Hunter Smith simply because of his unknown, but promising projection this season. He has a lot of raw tools that need a lot of refinement. I'm just not sure Agostino has the same sort of tools.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #28
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agostino all the way.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #29
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith until he's off the board.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #30
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

One of the biggest dark horses in our system is Eric Roy. Has played on a weak Wheat Kings club, but has been a top d-man for three seasons now. Has ideal NHL size (6'3" 200lbs),, a solid skater and possesses a great passing game. He's a threat on the PP, too. His defensive game used to be his weak point, but it has improved markedly in the past year. He also uses his big frame more than in seasons past.

I put Roy ahead of a lot of guys in our system. But it seems like he gets overlooked by most Flames fans.

Last edited by cannon7; 07-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #31
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
One of the biggest dark horses in our system is Eric Roy. Has played on a weak Wheat Kings club, but has been their top d-man for three seasons now. Has ideal NHL size (6'3" 200lbs),, a solid skater and possesses a great passing game. He's a threat on the PP, too. His defensive game used to be his weak point, but it has improved markedly in the past year. He also uses his big frame more than in seasons past.

I put Roy ahead of a lot of guys in our system. But it seems like he gets overlooked by most Flames fans.

I would have guessed Pulock would have been their number 1 D, no?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Goalies are unpredictable but McDonald is basically like a late first round pick. He should factor in soon due to upside.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #33
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Kanzig just because if that guy can make it, he will be a BEAST.

Sidenote: I think we gave up on Breen a little early as well
Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #34
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I would have guessed Pulock would have been their number 1 D, no?
I knew my phrasing would be questioned. Pulock and Roy is their top pairing. It's safe to say Pulock is the bettter defenseman now, my phrasing was to emphasize over the past three seasons. That's debateable, but Pulock really emerged in his draft year.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #35
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems odd to pick Smith before McDonald when the Flames themselves didn't do so and no games have been played since, but maybe that's me.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
as much as i'm hesitant on picking goalies, i think something's to be said to be the highest pick goalie in a draft, so went with macdonald.
I did the same Bubbsy - as much I'm not big on taking goalies earlier in the draft. I think he'll be a riser in future rankings on CP.

Like Bingo and other, extremely impressed at the depth with the fact that young lads like these are still on the board:
Culkin, Gilmour, Hanowski, Hickey, Kanzig, Ollas Mattson, Ramage, Smith and Wolf.

I did almost go with Hickey here based on upside and skating ability. Guys like Smith and Wolf figure to be NHLers of some sort. I really think Gilmour and Ollas Mattson make it to the next level as well.

We're easily 25 deep for legitimate prospects and possibly extending to 30...
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Seems odd to pick Smith before McDonald when the Flames themselves didn't do so and no games have been played since, but maybe that's me.
Maybe not everyone agrees with the away the Flames evaluate their own talent? By the same token, I think it is clear how things played out and based on what the team said afterwards that they selected McDonald where they did because they knew it was their only chance to get him. I speculating, but I imagine that regardless of how they had the players ranked, they probably had information to suggest that Smith would likely be there for them to select at the end of the round, and McDonald would not.

There is a strategy to drafting; especially past the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO Smith will be a better player than Aggo. Not to say I don't like Kenny, I do.

Had to go with the 6'7 monster with soft hands, whose on a steep incline production-wise. What an asset he could be.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #39
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who would have thought the 2014 2nd rounders wouldn't be in the top 17. Good to have some depth in the system finally.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #40
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been voting McDonald since 13 now. Kid has potential to be a good player in this league and everyone after Seiloff, in my opinion, has the potential to be a good role player at best.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote