Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brent Sutter Interview on FAN960

anybody catch this?

just listening to this, a lot of speaking in between the lines that are up to interpretation, but 2 things I caught reading in between the lines:

- when he left, he wanted to rebuild because he didn't feel the talent was elite enough to be a contender (but had a chance to be a 8th place team).... King/Feaster felt the young players were not good enough to rebuild and wanted to keep trying to maket he playoffs and see what happens

- Gio was his captain (just a compliment to Gio, or a slight to Iginla?)....
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I believe it. Sutter's experience with kids in the WHL would probably make him a good coach for a rebuild but unfortunately we needed to clean house from the old regime with this rebuild and that has to include the coach.

Wonder what he thinks of our rebuild so far? This seems like a Sutter style team. Just a tad better cause it's a Hartley style team
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree Sutter would have been better with the kids than he was with the 'stars', but that doesn't mean he would have been good.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

It was a clear slight to Iggy - pretty blunt statement.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think that's a really interesting comment about 'our young players weren't good enough to rebuild'. That's an extremely logical and smart comment. If you have a bunch of high 20's prospects who are duds, a guy you can't sign and not a ton of talent on the farm, you actually probably are better off relying on older guys and FA's.

Having Monahan, Baertschi, Gaudreau and Bennett, etc in our system now makes a rebuild far more sense and potentially successful.

On the Iginla topic.. everyone seems to want to throw him under the bus now that he's gone. But that could also be because he had such an aura here that no one ever dared question or challenge him. Anyways, it sounds like both he and the organization made the right decision
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
On the Iginla topic.. everyone seems to want to throw him under the bus now that he's gone. But that could also be because he had such an aura here that no one ever dared question or challenge him. Anyways, it sounds like both he and the organization made the right decision
I think this is exactly what it was. It's not really his fault, but it was a problem nonetheless.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I actually think that's a really interesting comment about 'our young players weren't good enough to rebuild'. That's an extremely logical and smart comment. If you have a bunch of high 20's prospects who are duds, a guy you can't sign and not a ton of talent on the farm, you actually probably are better off relying on older guys and FA's.

Having Monahan, Baertschi, Gaudreau and Bennett, etc in our system now makes a rebuild far more sense and potentially successful.

Agreed.

If there were a few solid kids in the system, a team might be more inclined to turn the page and start to build around them.

However, with nothing on the farm, might as well ride the vets for all they've got and see if you can find magic. Because once you turn the page, it's going to be full rebuild, regardless.

I am also not surprised that Butter wanted to rebuild - I never felt (from day 1) like he believed in the players that he had.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed.

If there were a few solid kids in the system, a team might be more inclined to turn the page and start to build around them.

However, with nothing on the farm, might as well ride the vets for all they've got and see if you can find magic. Because once you turn the page, it's going to be full rebuild, regardless.

I am also not surprised that Butter wanted to rebuild - I never felt (from day 1) like he believed in the players that he had.
I don't understand this point by Feaster / King (supposedly) at all. Yes it's fair, not good prospects, but the whole point would be there was an opportunity to move players like Iginla back in Sutter's time for much more value than we got letting it go on longer, and we'd likely have had some good prospects in the system.

That was the decision to be made, bolster the quality of our prospects, by getting good value for our veteran's. Spinning our wheels trying to make it work was the problem. If they'd moved Iggy and Co back then, we'd likely have the same (or similar) prospect quality we have now, plus some young players coming into their prime that we got back in those trades. We'd be deeper for the future and much closer to competing today than we are now.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not going to get into another 'we should have started the rebuild earlier' debate.

I get their thought process. You don't. Cool.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

A client of mine bought a Honda Pilot off of Brent Sutter yesterday.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Ok, you used this picture two posts in a row ... you're cut off now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not going to get into another 'we should have started the rebuild earlier' debate.

I get their thought process. You don't. Cool.
I was more bringing up the topic and using your quote to reference their opinion, not to start a debate with you specifically.

I will say, their logic on this matter is likely why Feaster doesn't have a job that impacts player rosters any more and why the Flames moved to a President of Hockey operations model, leaving King to the non hockey business side.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Ok, you used this picture two posts in a row ... you're cut off now.
Fair enough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
anybody catch this?

just listening to this, a lot of speaking in between the lines that are up to interpretation, but 2 things I caught reading in between the lines:

- when he left, he wanted to rebuild because he didn't feel the talent was elite enough to be a contender (but had a chance to be a 8th place team).... King/Feaster felt the young players were not good enough to rebuild and wanted to keep trying to maket he playoffs and see what happens

- Gio was his captain (just a compliment to Gio, or a slight to Iginla?)....
Isn't that exactly what a rebuild is.... You need to be a bottom team to get these good players. You don't get anything but aging vets otherwise and continue spinning your wheels while getting a worse draft slot. This makes absolutley no sense at all.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fischy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a dislike Brent more and more every time he talks to the media about something.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
Isn't that exactly what a rebuild is.... You need to be a bottom team to get these good players. You don't get anything but aging vets otherwise and continue spinning your wheels while getting a worse draft slot. This makes absolutley no sense at all.
You don't want the kids to get destroyed though. They need to develop properly. Just look north for that example. They are sooo no good.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
(okay, 1 comment)

Yes it does because if you ride your horses to the end, you're going to have a scorched-earth rebuild and are likely to get better quality picks. If you rebuild sooner, you probably don't dip as deep. In the end, there is really no way of knowing in advance which would be a quicker rebuild (and the outcome is likely similar) so why not take one more shot with the vets?

Not saying it's a better way to go, but it is certainly understandable because there are no guarantees of a faster rebuild either way.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No you don't. Lots of teams get great players later in the draft. And no, I'm not talking about the incredibly slim chance of a player Datsyuk in the 7th round.

Giroux - 22nd overall
Kopitar - 11th overall
Getzlaf - 19th overall
Perry - 28th overall

Being a bottom team makes it a lot harder to miss, but you certainly don't need to be a bottom team to find top players.
codynw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's going to be the full rebuild - except 2 years later. That is a major waste of time and assets for the ridiculously slim chance that the Flames group of veterans somehow go on a playoff run. And your veterans are 2 years older too, reducing their potential return.

The idea that the farm system isn't good enough to rebuild around is exactly why Feaster & King aren't involved in NHL hockey ops anymore - it simply makes no sense and relies more on miracles than hard facts. Rebuilding by nature will improve your farm system.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JayP For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I once test-drove, and almost bought, Jarome Iginla's old car (had no idea it was his I looked through the records).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: