Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
[URL="https://twitter.com/BoomerAndRhett"] [B]

hmmmm....
hmmmm what?

how many players have ever signed two hometown discount contracts in a row?

Also, the Flames aren't contending and tight to the cap. Why on earth would he be expected to sign another cheap deal?

He is probably in the 4 x $5 - 5.5m range.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #42
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethumwood View Post
Rather not resign, younger players are ready to come up and fill those spots especially for the 2015/16 season. If we can trade him at deadline that would be preferred. (If he waves hic NTC).
This type of thought process is becoming my pet peeve. The signing of veterans like Glencross, has nothing to do with prospects or young guys playing time. Signing him does not prevent any young player from earning their spot on the team, so it should not be a worry.

That said, I'm surprised by this. I've been pretty up and down on Glencross, clearly on an amazing value contract, but I've also never been sold or clear on what type of leadership he brings to the squad. Sometimes seems like a bit of a pouter (but that could just be perception) and he's definitely one who can get un-disciplined on the ice and cost the team with selfish penalties.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #43
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hope we don't overpay after getting such a bargain in his last contract. Like burrows, for example - one of the steals of the league, to a buyout candidate after getting a big raise.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #44
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 years $12M is what I am hoping for
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #45
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can see him as a solid 3rd liner with Stajan.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #46
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Cheap deal? Good luck. The Flames swindled Glennie on his last deal and I'm sure he's been PO'ed that he's only getting $2.5M a year when he could be making double that.

He's going to be asking for $4M/yr easily

He made a comment in the interview that UFA contracts were an Eyeopener for what he worth on the market . He did understand the cost of a no trade contract though
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #47
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
hmmmm what?

how many players have ever signed two hometown discount contracts in a row?

Also, the Flames aren't contending and tight to the cap. Why on earth would he be expected to sign another cheap deal?

He is probably in the 4 x $5 - 5.5m range.
well his play and compete level seem inconsistent at times. However, many of his shortcomings have been overlooked due to the fact that his contract is great. If he got a fair market contract given the point totals he collects, i think he'd quickly become a larger whipping boy for fans than he is at times already.

if i were the flames, i'd be patient on re-signing him. he would be a decent trade option come trade deadline.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #48
Read Only
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would like to trade him as I think he can bring back some very useful pieces but he also seems like a guy that wants to be here and willing to take a discount to do so.

If he is willing to take under 4 million for 4 years or less then I think he can be a good fit.

He can play in the 2nd line if need be and if all the wingers turn out he is also a good fit to play on the 3rd line as well.

His pouting and stupid penalties are annoying but he does bring goal scoring, defense and physical play when he is healthy. Of the veteran forwards we had/have he is a better fit going forward than Hudler, Jones, Cammy, Stempniak, Galiardi are/were.
Read Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #49
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
08/09 - 0.54 PPG in 74 games
09/10 - 0.49 PPG in 67 games
10/11 - 0.54 PPG in 79 games
11/12 - 0.72 PPG in 67 games
12/13 - 0.65 PPG in 40 games (Lockout)
13/14 - 0.63 PPG in 38 games
So it looks like he reached his peak 3 years ago and has been on a gentle down slope since. The guy will be 32 by Christmas...he's not going better. Its just a question of how steep the drop of is from now on.

At this point, you sign a guy like this for his leadership and consistency. I'm not really seeing either with Glencross. I was in favor of trying to sign Cammy just because of his leadership qualities and how he represented the team in the media. Hulder too looks like a guy a lot of the younger kids look up to. Gio is no doubt a great captain. You hear stories coming out of the room and in the media about how great these guys are. Glencross? The only thing I can recall is an article last year about how he told some rookie where to get some food.

I'm a believer that you need solid vets to mentor the kids as they come up. I just don't think Glencross provides enough of a positive contribution. In fact, I'm scared a lot of his habits trickle down. He's probably the last vestige of the "old lazy Flames", and it's time to cut bait.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #50
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Only View Post
Of the veteran forwards we had/have he is a better fit going forward than Hudler, Jones, Cammy, Stempniak, Galiardi are/were.

Hudler is the best fit of all those players listed. He's been nothing but pure value since he's been brought in.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #51
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Time for Ken King to saddle up and get this hammered out, while stepping on the toes of both Burke and Treliving along the way.
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
well his play and compete level seem inconsistent at times. However, many of his shortcomings have been overlooked due to the fact that his contract is great. If he got a fair market contract given the point totals he collects, i think he'd quickly become a larger whipping boy for fans than he is at times already.

if i were the flames, i'd be patient on re-signing him. he would be a decent trade option come trade deadline.
completely agree with this - not opposed to re-signing him, but let's wait until Christmas to see where he is and where some others are
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Glencross took 4M, it would mean next year, team is still not near the cap, year after, it replaces the money tied up in Jones right now.
With Glencross being 31 now, this next contract might be his last chance to cash in, since his game does not scream longevity to me. I would not be surprised if he pushed for long term
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I know he loves it here and the Alberta lifestyle, but the guy should go play somewhere for 4 or 5 years, rake a ton of money and then be able to retire on top of the world.

He's definitely earned a bigger contract, but I don't think that's going to be here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #55
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Re-sign all the guys that the Flames suck with! That will for sure turn us into a winner.
Flames suck with Monahan, better get rid of him
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #56
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. I like him, despite the odd bad penalty and being a little streaky.

It's not bad from a PR point of view either when a player insists on staying with the club long term.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #57
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
So it looks like he reached his peak 3 years ago and has been on a gentle down slope since. The guy will be 32 by Christmas...he's not going better. Its just a question of how steep the drop of is from now on.

At this point, you sign a guy like this for his leadership and consistency. I'm not really seeing either with Glencross. I was in favor of trying to sign Cammy just because of his leadership qualities and how he represented the team in the media. Hulder too looks like a guy a lot of the younger kids look up to. Gio is no doubt a great captain. You hear stories coming out of the room and in the media about how great these guys are. Glencross? The only thing I can recall is an article last year about how he told some rookie where to get some food.

I'm a believer that you need solid vets to mentor the kids as they come up. I just don't think Glencross provides enough of a positive contribution. In fact, I'm scared a lot of his habits trickle down. He's probably the last vestige of the "old lazy Flames", and it's time to cut bait.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...250/story.html

Quote:
After showing up in head-to-toe camouflage, a personalized rifle under his arm, and resembling a walking advertisement for Bass Pro Shops, everyone knew Curtis Glencross would have decent aim.

And, after all, it was his idea.

An afternoon of skeet shooting was on the agenda over the weekend in the Calgary Flames’ latest instalment of team bonding events this 2013-14 National Hockey League season. Already, they’ve attended a paintball session and were put to work at the Calgary Fire Department’s training centre.

But given the break in the team’s schedule — a light practice Saturday, a rest and recovery day Sunday, and two days of skates before a five-game road-trip — the outing served as the perfect opportunity for another get-together.

So Glencross, an avid hunter and outdoorsman, made the suggestion.
“It was fun,” said the Flames winger who, at this time of the year, is aiming for elk on his off-days and free evenings. “Before, they were kind of complaining, ‘Why are we doing this, going for another team building thing on a Saturday afternoon.’ But they got out there and guys got shooting and everyone had a good time.
Quote:
"On Sunday, Glencross and his wife Tanya had the majority of the team and their families over for Thanksgiving dinner "
I dunno where this "Glencross is a bum" talk began. He's a talented, albiet occasionally frustrating player. Not sure how we can judge his leadership abilities from outside the room. He doesn't smile very often I guess?

Has he ever thrown the team under the bus in the media or anything (serious question)? I think he has a weird reputation here that is a bit undeserved, but I'm open to evidence to the contrary.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #58
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope he gets 5 mil
He did take a discount when cap mattered to the Flames. Now that cap space is not a huge concern let him earn.
5 x 2 or 3 years.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #59
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames suck with Monahan, better get rid of him
lol come on now.... Monahan was in a rookie season and made the team better. Glencross has been here a few years and is progressively getting less productive. There aren't any amazing qualities to him that make him worth signing other than he's from the area.

Next year, does Glencross make the team better? You can't honestly say yes because you don't know if he'll be inspired and play like he did 3 years ago or if he'll be injured a lot or if he'll just float. Will he be a leader and lead by example or will his floating rub off on some of the kids?

His current contract is a bargain and we should be looking at trading him because he makes a team better now, not long term like the Flames need.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #60
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He'll get a 5x5 guaranteed. Full NTC too I bet.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote