Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #41
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the Calgary Herald Court Twitter:

Quote:
Daryl Slade @heraldcourt · 3h
Michael Ferland's girlfriend testifies they were standing outside Cochrane bar when someone sucker-punched him, he retaliated immediately.
Quote:
Daryl Slade @heraldcourt · 2h
Mountie said Jayson Eyma told him he did not want to press charges when punched outside Cochrane bar as he was "not completely innocent."
Quote:
Defence closes its case in assault trial of Calgary Flames' prospect Michael Ferland. Final arguments and judge's charge to jury on Monday.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #42
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
This is why I hate drinking. Every time I drink someone wants to prove how tough they are and I have to talk them out of it because screw going to court or jail. Ferlands career is at risk (if only minimally) because of a dumb drunken argument.
There could be an underlying problem here, may I suggest you have someone record you when your drunk.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #43
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mountie said Jayson Eyma told him he did not want to press charges when punched outside Cochrane bar as he was "not completely innocent."
It sounds like self defence to me with the only problem being Ferland hit him too hard.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #44
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

strombad got banned? boo urns. He was one of the more entertaining posters here.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #45
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Every time I drink everyone has a great time and then we all just go home.
Quote:
Well aren't you special
I think the phrase is "mature"
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #46
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
strombad got banned? boo urns. He was one of the more entertaining posters here.
Best part, it looks like he may have been banned for spoilers in the Game of Thrones thread.

Although it's not like he didn't have some other .... distasteful qualities.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #47
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
There could be an underlying problem here, may I suggest you have someone record you when your drunk.
last time an asian guy told me he wanted to spar

time before that a random guy was trying to fight my friend and I had to talk him out of making me step in

time before that a guy was getting beaten up by 3 people and I stepped in and stopped them from killing him, called the police and the 3 guys wanted to fight me, obviously didn't want to do anything as I didn't want to risk jail. I still have the police witness report that I had to fill out.

time before that a guy was yelling drunk from his balcony that I had said something rude to him while I said absolutely nothing and he came down on the street and starting throwing punches

of course I must be at fault right, entirely my fault for not letting my friend get ko'ed by an idiot skinhead who was drunk
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #48
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
As an update to yesterday it is amazing how people can change how they think when both sides present their evidence. The second quoted comment really is telling for me on behalf of the defence, "victim" admits he was as fault also, but when he realizes the guy could be famous he decides to proceed. If Ferland was hit first I am amazed that he stopped at one punch.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #49
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
of course I must be at fault right, entirely my fault for not letting my friend get ko'ed by an idiot skinhead who was drunk
If all of these occurred at the same place or same type of place, maybe you and your friends need to find somewhere else to go...
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #50
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Brentwood, 17th ave, Crowfoot and 16th ave so no not really. I've had people tell me I'm bad luck when drinking because fights always break out when I'm near so it's made me hate alcohol. A guy came out of his house to try and fight me when I hadn't even said anything
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #51
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brentwood, 17th ave, Crowfoot and 16th ave so no not really. I've had people tell me I'm bad luck when drinking because fights always break out when I'm near so it's made me hate alcohol. A guy came out of his house to try and fight me when I hadn't even said anything
I have friends with stories like this... With very little prodding, they often forget to mention that prior to the 6"5 dude nearly beating the #### out of them, they had been beaking him at the pool table for the previous hour.

There's no shame in admitting you aren't a good drunk and staying away from it. That's the mature thing to do. Leave AcGold alone, people. He's being the bigger man.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Don't worry, he's probably already re-registered again under yet another username.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #53
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
This is why I hate drinking. Every time I drink someone wants to prove how tough they are and I have to talk them out of it because screw going to court or jail.
Everytime you drink hey?

Seems like there's only one common variable...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #54
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
There is also the point of trying to prevent and stop bar fights, and trials are one step towards attempting to do that. Not that i think it ever will, booze + idiots = trouble.

Just look at Spruce Grove, where there was a bar fight breaking out and the bouncer stepped in to break it up and got sucker punched once and died.
Bouncers know there is a certain amount of risk its not just about carding people and scoring skirts.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I drink I become super charming. Guys wanna be me, girls wanna sleep with me. I shoot lasers out of my eyes and can cure Cancer.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And shoot fireballs out of your arse
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And shoot fireballs out of your arse
No, that's the next day.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #58
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/cr...121/story.html

That is probably the best thing for Ferland. Having that on record pretty much solidifies his self defense case and really leaves Eyma open to being charged with assault as well for throwing the first punch. Also kills the civil suit if Ferland can bring in this mountie to testify that Eyma hit him first.

If I were on that jury I would be questioning how these guys have such good memory but didn't remember throwing the first punch.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #59
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This story has come a long way from the original story that was printed when he was first charged.
Back then, two dudes were minding their own business and stopped to help a damsel in distress when the monster known as Ferland viciously attacked them for attempting to help her.
I've been sucker punched before when stone sober and once was assaulted by 3 people. As soon as the first punch is thrown and the "fight or flight" instinct kicks in, it is impossible to discern who was the original aggressor so instinctively it is possible to pursue the wrong person. In the midst of the scuffle, I pushed a security guard who had stepped in to help me through a crowd control barrier in the incident where 3 people attacked me, had I hit him square with a punch, would I have ended up facing a jury? In my mind, I needed to neutralize any threats around me.
Without being there, it sounds to me like the defendant was either provoked or was put in a situation where he felt the need to defend himself.
Has the defense proved reasonable doubt about the events? We'll find out soon enough.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

Last edited by Red_Baron; 06-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 AM   #60
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never been assaulted. People just run away from me for some reason.

Spoiler!

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post: