Exp:

^ here you go
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #23
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He looks like a pretty good consolation prize if the worst team next year doesn't win the lottery.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another guy to watch, Nick Merkley. Bit undersized but incredible vision and playmaking skills to go with really nice skating - has this unique move where he enters the zone and opens his skates allowing him to see the entire ice but continues moving forwards - it's difficult to describe.

But he is keeping up with Barzal in terms of scoring so that says something. Guy will be a 1st round pick for sure.

Frankly the 2015 draft is similar to the 2003 draft that you'll find impact players all the way through the 1st and even 2nd rounds. However unlike the 2003 it actually has franchise players at the top, and possibly two generational talents.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Barzal is a good player but having him in the conversation with McDavid or Eichel is a little bit of a joke. He's just not at that level.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #26
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Another guy to watch, Nick Merkley. Bit undersized but incredible vision and playmaking skills to go with really nice skating - has this unique move where he enters the zone and opens his skates allowing him to see the entire ice but continues moving forwards - it's difficult to describe.

But he is keeping up with Barzal in terms of scoring so that says something. Guy will be a 1st round pick for sure.

Frankly the 2015 draft is similar to the 2003 draft that you'll find impact players all the way through the 1st and even 2nd rounds. However unlike the 2003 it actually has franchise players at the top, and possibly two generational talents.
Then it would be a great year to have multiple 1st round picks. Finger crossed.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #27
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Having only see Eichel and Mcdavid at these tournaments I cannot comment on their game too much. What I did notice at the World Juniors is that Eichel at 17 was counted on more by his team, played a better overall game and showed a lot of truculence! He was aggressive in pursuit and with the puck, he, I think outplayed McDavid but again was a limited sample size. Will be interesting to see them both back next year to see how they have developed and to see if McDavid becomes more aggressive at this level. Anyone watch him on a regular basis in the O that can comment? I know he is the "Next" one so I suspect when he is given the opportunity to shine he does. Sutter did not give him that opportunity at 17, next year he will be looked upon to lead the team imo. Situational play was different for these two so hard to compare but I think Eichel really outplayed him this time around.
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the look of Eichel at this point. Give it another year and we will see.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #29
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid is putting up as many points, and in most cases more points per game than any of the CHL forwards that are going to be top picks in this years draft.

Good lord please let the Flames come out of this rebuild with that kid in the fold.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #30
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
^ here you go
Yes please!
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #31
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

I would say that Staal (with the exception of this year) and Getzlaf turned out to be franchise players.

I am fine with Eichel or McDavid. I do not see any likely way that the Flames are not picking top three next year as well which is fine by me. If they pull out Ekblad and Eichel or McDavid they will be in great shape.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #32
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the drop off between McDavid and Eichel will probably be a lot less than say Crosby and Bobby Ryan? If so, then Eichel seems like a pretty good consolation prize.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: There are whispers elite 2015 prospect Jack Eichel may consider not going to BU if he could play head-to-head in OHL vs. Connor McDavid.

RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: But Eichel currently obliged to play in QMJHL if he goes jr instead of college. Halifax originally owned his rights, now it's Saint John.

Showing some real competitive edge if true. Wants to measure himself up with McDavid directly
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I hope to God, Allah, whomever, that we get a top two pick next year. It would reverse the fortunes of this franchise immediately. We need a superstar in the worst way. I think the Flames are wise enough to tank for it, just this one time.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

A shame that they'll both be in Vancouver and Buffalo.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #36
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I hope to God, Allah, whomever, that we get a top two pick next year. It would reverse the fortunes of this franchise immediately. We need a superstar in the worst way. I think the Flames are wise enough to tank for it, just this one time.
I hope the Flames never intentionally tank. Ever.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #37
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I was thinking he'd be a great consolation prize. He plays with grit and fearlessness but he's a little guy so dunno how Burke would think of him.

From TheScoutingReport.org:

I think the safer 'Burke' pick lays with Brett McKenzie:
what is with everyone saying stuff like this? Does everyone think Burke only wants bottom six muckers or something? I think if we are drafting top 10, he will be aiming at adding some high end scoring to our prospect pool.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #38
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
When special players like these two come along, like it or not, most GMs will make an exception.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
We already have, so...
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #40
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry we won't intentionally tank but this team will not be better next year and we're 4th last right now.

What's going to make it better next year? I don't see anything, only see things that wil make it even a longer year next year.

-Cammi will be gone so thats even less offence.
-I can see Glencross dealt at the draft not like he cares, he checked out when Gio got the C.
-We'll just have more rookies up front with Monahan likely struggling with sophomore slump.
-Gio has played way above his normal self, he will be good but hard to imagine he will have the energy to keep playing as hard as he has next year.

Ramo and Ortio will/should gain bit more consistency though.

Buffalo will still be brutal.
Vancouver will join the bottom but with them keeping Sedin I don't think they'll be all out tank mode.
Edmonton will still be crap but should improve a bit no? like seriously.
Florida with Lou and some good young pieces upfront will be better imo
Islanders? no goalie will still suck

Next years projection (obviously way early)
30. Buffalo
29. Islanders
28. Flames
27. Oilers
26. Canucks
25. Panthers

We will have a real good shot at McDavid or Eichel.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote