Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Acolatse 1 0.33%
Agostino 60 20.00%
Billins 1 0.33%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 4 1.33%
Cundari 1 0.33%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 1 0.33%
Hanowski 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hickey 5 1.67%
Jooris 0 0%
Kanzig 28 9.33%
Kulak 143 47.67%
McDonald 19 6.33%
Ollas Mattson 0 0%
Rafikov 1 0.33%
Ramage 2 0.67%
Roy 2 0.67%
Smith 21 7.00%
Thiessen 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 11 3.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #41
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kulak then Smith.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #42
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smiths potential is so intriguing that I feel I have to vote for him at this point, no matter how far away he is from reaching that potential.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #43
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Kulak, then Agostino. Kenny should have gone earlier, but so should have Kulak.
Just looking at the points, we did not see Agostino improve year over year in college. Year 2, Year 3, and Year 4 he had almost identical stats. I know there is more than just points and I have only watched him in the NHL but the lack of improvement in his offensive production concerns me.

If I was the GM I'm not trading Kulak, Smith or McDonald straight up for Agostino if he belonged to another team. So he ranks below them for me.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #44
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
In defense of Kanzig, it was well known that he was a project on draft day [...]
I call this "the Jankowski defence".
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #45
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Agreed, I wouldn't trade them either. Agostino right now is below those guys.

But don't trust others to see things that way. People just look at how Agostino played a few games in the NHL, therefore 'he must be NHL ready', while not considering that he was forced to play there as he wasn't at that point eligible to play in Abbotsford. His minutes were extremely sheltered and while in those situations he managed to keep up at times, he did far from impress.

Most (if not all) of the remaining players don't have great floors, and aren't even good bets to be NHL players if they don't reach their potentials. So at this point you have to go by ceiling, and Smith (great attributes), McDonald (starter potential) and Kulak (high end offense) probably should go before him. Although I do think the kid has the tools to become a useful 3rd line NHLer a couple years down the road.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #46
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

But don't trust others to see things that way. People just look at how Agostino played a few games in the NHL, therefore 'he must be NHL ready', while not considering that he was forced to play there as he wasn't at that point eligible to play in Abbotsford. His minutes were extremely sheltered and while in those situations he managed to keep up at times, he did far from impress.
Sorry everyone keeps disappointing you. Want me to talk to them?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #47
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

McDonald for me. Taking this guy in the second round this year shows the Flames believe in this kid. I can see McDonald making a huge jump into the top 10 on our prospect list next year.
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #48
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Sorry everyone keeps disappointing you. Want me to talk to them?
Actually, since Kulak is ahead, they haven't disappointed me today.

Tomorrow will probably be a different story.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

We drafted arguably the best goalie in this years draft and he might not even crack the top 20... Really? I think McDonald is being underestimated on here.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #50
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
We drafted arguably the best goalie in this years draft and he might not even crack the top 20... Really? I think McDonald is being underestimated on here.
McDonald is next up for me.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #51
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
At this point we pretty much have a 5 player line of underestimated prospects. I wonder if we're all just overhyping these players or if we really have so much nhl talent coming up through the system. If we do I don't think it will be a long rebuild.

It almost seems like we were secretly rebuilding our depth talent since 2009.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #52
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have two things preventing me from voting for McDonald

1. He's an 18 year old goalie, and goalie development is very unpredictable. Hard to judge him at this point.

2. I've never seen him play.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #53
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
At this point we pretty much have a 5 player line of underestimated prospects. I wonder if we're all just overhyping these players or if we really have so much nhl talent coming up through the system. If we do I don't think it will be a long rebuild.

It almost seems like we were secretly rebuilding our depth talent since 2009.
We have a lot of depth prospects but so far I'd say we have three top young A player/prospects in Monahan, Bennett and Gaudreau. We need some of our B prospects to step up to A status.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #54
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, if an opinion could change your mind. Granlund is an A prospect in my mind.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #55
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Mcdonald isn't getting a lot of votes because not many people have seen him play

The majority of CP likely hasn't seen most of our mid-ranged prospects play, including myself. It's why I'm inclined to vote for a prospect I've watched and am very excited about (Smith) over another player that I've never seen until this years development camp (Kulak) that I watched on a terrible quality video

After a full year of being a Flames prospect I expect most of the guys we picked this year to rise in next years vote. I think Smith will be around the top 10
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #56
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well, if an opinion could change your mind. Granlund is an A prospect in my mind.
Yeah, for me I'd say Granlund, Wotherspoon and Ortio are very close.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #57
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Most (if not all) of the remaining players don't have great floors, and aren't even good bets to be NHL players if they don't reach their potentials. So at this point you have to go by ceiling, and Smith (great attributes), McDonald (starter potential) and Kulak (high end offense) probably should go before him. Although I do think the kid has the tools to become a useful 3rd line NHLer a couple years down the road.
Kenny also played at a nearly ppg pace for his entire NCAA career and helped his team win a championship before playing 8 games with the Flames, where he put up a respectable 2 points in 8 games with an average of 10 mins ice time per night. His Corsi QoC isn't bad, but once weighted relatively his numbers drop. Why is that, you'd think?

His % of offensive zone finishes weren't bad for a 8 game rookie who was only getting 10 minutes either. The eyeball test also saw Kenny providing lots of speed and energy for a 22 years old thrown in the NHL without any chance to acclimatize before hand. Kenny did just fine all things considered and doesn't get enough credit.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #58
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
We have a lot of depth prospects but so far I'd say we have three top young A player/prospects in Monahan, Bennett and Gaudreau. We need some of our B prospects to step up to A status.
I kind of think that management is going to have to package some of these B prospects to get some A prospects in return. A Wotherspoon/Granlund/Reinhart package could probably return a solid grade A prospect today.

In my mind, having ten B prospects is like having three A prospects, which is in turn like having a AAA prospect in our system. The depth that's been built into Calgary's system should be able to blossom into some serious talent with a couple shrewd moves from up top.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #59
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I am hoping that as much as Cervenka was over-rated (#1C) that Wolf is under rated.

The road to the NHL for Ferland goes through Wolf. Wolf is 24 (25 in September) and reasonably big and his high-lights and interviews seem to indicate an over-the-top aggression.

I don't see him not becoming a fan favorite in the exhibition games.

Bollig - Ferland - Engelland - Wolf - Van Brabant - Kanzig - Smith - Poirier

the cupboard is a lot fuller than when it was Bouma - Alui and Breen.

It will be harder for the smaller skilled players to break through due to more physical options but the ones that rise to the top will definitely have their backs covered.
I'd like to see Wolf make the Flames. Too bad Torts isn't still around.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #60
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I think Mcdonald isn't getting a lot of votes because not many people have seen him play

The majority of CP likely hasn't seen most of our mid-ranged prospects play, including myself. It's why I'm inclined to vote for a prospect I've watched and am very excited about (Smith) over another player that I've never seen until this years development camp (Kulak) that I watched on a terrible quality video

After a full year of being a Flames prospect I expect most of the guys we picked this year to rise in next years vote. I think Smith will be around the top 10
I've seen McDonald play several times and I'm very impressed with him. However, I've not voted for him yet simply because he's an 18 yr. old junior goalie. He didn't get to play much until after Christmas this year but he really got the Charlottetown fans' attention in a hurry. I'll be seeing him close to 20 times next season and should have a better idea about how he is progressing and where to slot him in amongst Flames prospects.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post: