Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #3001
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was just ok.

It was a little too dark. Didn't have the whimsy and wonder that the HP series had. I know the later HP movies were pretty dark but I thought this would have worked better if it was closer in tone to HP 3 or 4. The story was fine, except just like the HP movies, pretty much any person in a position of authority is either a moron or evil. It also suffered from the Man of Steel issue with regards to destruction for the sake of cool action without much thought given to the billions in damage and thousands that would've died.

I'm also not sure what was the deal with Jon Voight's character. Was he edited out or was it intended to just be a glorified cameo?

Acting performances were all good, Eddie Redmayne especially was great as usual. And it was great to see the wizarding world brought back to the big screen. Just didn't quite have enough to make me really like it.

Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #3002
sasha
Draft Pick

Man on Wire was a great watch.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #3003
Strange Brew
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also saw Unforgettable on the plane. Awful Lifetime movie schlock. Watched it because of Rosario Dawson but nothing could save this drivel. Its a scorned lover revenge movie that's been made 100 times and you're left wondering what either character sees in the leading man. Shame on me for watching.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #3004
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carrie Pilby wasn't bad. In many ways it reminded of the Bridget Jones movies, but less annoying.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #3005
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gave the original Conan the Barbarian a shot last night.

Wow. Indescribably bad. I can't believe that's the movie that launched Arny's career.

The only redeeming quality was the combined 15 seconds of boobs.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #3006
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I gave the original Conan the Barbarian a shot last night.

Wow. Indescribably bad. I can't believe that's the movie that launched Arny's career.

The only redeeming quality was the combined 15 seconds of boobs.
I guess I would counter that, I don't think it ages well, but I thought it was a great quest/revenge movie with some great lines.

the opening of it sold me, just because the music and narrative was incredible.

James Earl Jones as the charismatic leader who was searching for the secret of Steel and then the secret of strength.

Arnold was pretty wooden, but they surrounded him with a very good cast that carried him.

The second movie, Conan the Destroyer really struggled.

What hurt Conan the Barbarian in later viewings were that the effects even when it came out were extremely rough.

There are very few movies that have that incredible opening that captures you, Conan was one, Top Gun's opening on the carrier deck was another. Star Wars obviously with the opening crawl and the Star Destroyer was another.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #3007
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Just watched the Robocop remake and liked it. The actings good, script works just fine, the film has a decent flow to it, there's a few interesting points made here and there. Even the action was fine.

I kind of fail to see why the movie was so badly received. I felt it had easily enough of its own thing going on to justify it's existence, and wasn't a bad film taken on its own.

I guess people just wanted it to be as good as the original.
I liked a lot of it, but I think the one thing that it missed from the first one was the satirical nature about societal greed.

I mean the first one was great in terms of its imaging of a future under corporate control where normal people were just squashed or gave up. The whole Car thing with the SUX was so good.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #3008
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Annabelle: Creation is the most scare-packed and effective horror movie I've seen in a couple years.

Which is amazing given the quality of its predecessor. David Sandberg and James Wan are good at horror.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by how unafraid it is to cross some lines to amp up the scares. There were many upset and distraught girlfriends in the theatre afterwards.

The young lead actresses also carry the film impressively.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #3009
CofR
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll echo what djsFlames said, Annabelle: Creation is great. Exponentially better than the first Annabelle film.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 AM   #3010
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any point in watching the first one, or does the second stand on its own?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #3011
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I liked a lot of it, but I think the one thing that it missed from the first one was the satirical nature about societal greed.

I mean the first one was great in terms of its imaging of a future under corporate control where normal people were just squashed or gave up. The whole Car thing with the SUX was so good.
True, but is there really much of a point in rehashing the same arguments?

A really major difference is also that much of the future envisioned in the original is either not relevant (violent crime has gone significantly down instead of up, the US police is more overarmed than underarmed), here already (lowest denominator TV, privatized police forces) or right around the corner (automated warfare and security).

Going with an origins story, they pretty much had to set it very, very close to current day, which allows a lot less leeway in creating a hypothetical future than the original had.

(Not to say they couldn't have done a better job or anything.)

Last edited by Itse; 08-15-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #3012
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I guess I would counter that, I don't think it ages well, but I thought it was a great quest/revenge movie with some great lines.

the opening of it sold me, just because the music and narrative was incredible.

James Earl Jones as the charismatic leader who was searching for the secret of Steel and then the secret of strength.

Arnold was pretty wooden, but they surrounded him with a very good cast that carried him.

The second movie, Conan the Destroyer really struggled.

What hurt Conan the Barbarian in later viewings were that the effects even when it came out were extremely rough.

There are very few movies that have that incredible opening that captures you, Conan was one, Top Gun's opening on the carrier deck was another. Star Wars obviously with the opening crawl and the Star Destroyer was another.

The original Conan is a cheesy movie, but a very well-made cheesy movie.

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #3013
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
The original Conan is a cheesy movie, but a very well-made cheesy movie.
Granted, I still think the best scene in the movie is when he had sex with the witch for information and then when he got done he booted her into the fire.

Call me sick but I laughed.

I watched the new Conan movie, well not new its like 6 years old. But Jason Momoa had a great look for Conan, They had a good cast of actors in terms of Rachel Nichol and Rose McGowan. But for some reason the premise of the movie didn't work and while Momoa had a great look it just didn't feel like Conan.

I think with Arnold, the reason why it worked was because he just looked like a big intimidating beast, I always imagined Conan striding into a army and killing everyone. You got that in the original.

Even in the scene where he was tied to the Tree of Woe, and ate that bird to survive, you just knew that battered and beaten this was Conan.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #3014
CofR
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is there any point in watching the first one, or does the second stand on its own?
There's some tie ins with the first one, as well as The Conjuring films. But it's not necessary to see any of them in order to appreciate the new one
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote