Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #381
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I don't understand the protestors message. Are their voices not being heard?

Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #382
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I didn't see the speech but did he really say this? WTF?

Zeke Miller‏@ZekeJMiller
Trump on Iraq: “We should have kept the oil. Maybe we’ll have another chance.”
He said it multiple times during the campaign. He doesn't know, or care, that it's a war crime.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #383
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I didn't see the speech but did he really say this? WTF?

Zeke Miller‏@ZekeJMiller
Trump on Iraq: “We should have kept the oil. Maybe we’ll have another chance.”
Yup, he said it. Would love to have seen the looks on people's faces in the room when that came out of his mouth. I did hear what sounded like nervous laughter.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #384
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Morrison with my favorite pic of today's march in Calgary so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #385
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Far from it, really. I just, I find it strange that they are protesting the person they elected on his first day.
Why did you elect the NDP?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #386
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Old 01-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #387
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Why did you elect the NDP?
I'm not out on the streets carrying signs.

Actually, and this is the part I find baffling, if you read my posts after the NDP were elected I was more than willing to give them a fair chance and see what they could do.

My dislike for the NDP came after they shot themselves and Albertans in the foot over and over and over again by being idiots.

You know...after they implemented idiotic policy. Like idiots.

And I'm still not out on the streets carrying signs. Granted, thats not my thing and its cold out there, but still.

Either way, protest away at the guy who hasnt done anything yet. Dont get me wrong, hes a massive buffoon and when he does do something we're going to have to invent a brand new scale for stupid.

But protesting on his first day?

"We dont want you!!"

Cool. Tough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #388
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there's much more hilarious than Piers Morgan going hardcore Trump defender from deep inside Trump's colon. What's going to be really awesome is when Trump loosens gun laws, then the first mass shooting under his watch, Piers will be whining as always about America's gun problem. I guess he's that convinced he's gonna get exclusive UK access to Trump, too bad it's gonna go to Farage instead.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #389
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I did not expect to see the first person of ginger in the White House within my life time.
Kennedy was ginger, but he had that disease (forget the name) so he didnt look as pale as most gingers.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #390
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Ah, a daywalker.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #391
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Okay...but what do they want?

"Maybe if we protest on his first day he'll impeach himself?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You're over thinking it. A protest is not necessarily like a petition with a specific end goal. No one thinks Trump will be impeached because a protest happened. It's just people gathering to send a message to the new administration that many, many people oppose their ideas and their agenda will not go unchallenged. I'm sure the Trump admin doesn't care and it'll be largely ineffective, but what's the alternative? Stay home and complain I guess. I'm sure many of these people voted and many didn't but maybe exercising their democratic right to gather will encourage more people to show up at the polls and engage in politics year round.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #392
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A self admitted rapist just got innaugurated. He talked about sexually assaulting women and being ok with it. Defunding Planned Parenthood. Having a desire to weaken rights on abortions. Whether the protestors had a voice before or not, they certainly do now.

And if anyone thinks these protests aren't necessary right now, go read some Facebook comments from males in regards to what is happening today. Trump's election has emboldened these losers and they're come out in force.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #393
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So on day 0 he issued executive orders which appear to get rid of the enforcement of the individual mandate for the ACA. Without the individual mandate the pre existing conditions coverage will not be affordable.

The executive order in general is asking for the minimum enforcement required by law accross all agency. So environmental protection, Labour protections that are monitored and enforced by government have all been weakened.

So despite it being Day 0 people would have plenty to protest about.

What i don't get is what people in Calgary are Marching for

Last edited by GGG; 01-21-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #394
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not out on the streets carrying signs.

Actually, and this is the part I find baffling, if you read my posts after the NDP were elected I was more than willing to give them a fair chance and see what they could do.

My dislike for the NDP came after they shot themselves and Albertans in the foot over and over and over again by being idiots.

You know...after they implemented idiotic policy. Like idiots.

And I'm still not out on the streets carrying signs. Granted, thats not my thing and its cold out there, but still.

Either way, protest away at the guy who hasnt done anything yet. Dont get me wrong, hes a massive buffoon and when he does do something we're going to have to invent a brand new scale for stupid.

But protesting on his first day?

"We dont want you!!"

Cool. Tough.
But that's the thing, he's already outlined a lot of what he intends to do and a lot of it is going to be horrible for the average American. He's taking away their health care (Obama care) right away which will quite literally lead to dead Americans. He's going to defund planned parenthood, he's going ahead with plans to build the wall across Mexico.

Like honestly, what's the beef? Do they need to officially pass before people can express outrage that they're losing the country they know and presumably love? This is what people do in a democracy, it's their right and one of the only things they can do when they strongly disagree with those in power.

Why are you so against it and indignant towards these people when protesting has been around since the beginning of time? Why is this one catching so much flak from you? I don't get it.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #395
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

A million and a half people at his speech, god stopped the rain, the media is dishonest, he loves the CIA.............

Couldn't watch the whole thing. The guy is delusional.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #396
jayswin

Exp:

I will say this, it's great to see so many people actually get off their asses and actually make themselves heard in the streets in a society that mostly feels that changing a picture on social media is a powerful act of freedom and driver of change in a democracy.

Sometimes it's important to just get your actual body out there and stand up for what you believe in, you just don't see it very often anymore, so that makes these large scale protests even more powerful and important.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-21-2017 at 03:37 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #397
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I will say this, it's great to see so many people actually get off there asses and actually make themselves heard in the streets in a society that mostly feels that changing a picture on social media is a powerful act of freedom and driver of change in a democracy.
More importantly, I've seen basically nothing to indicate that anything bad has come of it. These have been entirely peaceful, non-violent events, from what I can tell. That's incredibly impressive, given the scale of it. I mean, knock on wood, but I'm pleasantly surprised after yesterday; this is what the protests yesterday ideally should've been (not that those were that terrible either on the grand scale of things).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #398
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news, this is what you can expect from now on.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl
Quote:
In an address at CIA headquarters on Saturday, President Donald Trump took the opportunity to attack journalists over reports of official numbers at his inauguration. While official estimates have been in the 200,000 range (with images showing a sparsely filled National Mall) Trump claimed he had up to 1.5 million. While video and photo clearly showed otherwise, Trump said in the speech that crowds “went all the way back to the Washington monument.”
Nice to see his priorities are in order and he's spending his time with the CIA wisely.

From now on, everything is going great, fantastic and getting better all the time. Everyone loves Trump. Any reports to the contrary are fake news.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #399
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 turned out for the march here in Ottawa today. Definitely nice to see.

Of course, it's all tempered by wondering what sort of revenge that petulant man-baby will take against women in general in response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #400
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Mike Morrison with my favorite pic of today's march in Calgary so far.

What was the turnout?
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers