Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #141
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Why not just take it to them and have them give you a new one?

Because they will only send a tech out to come diagnose it since it turns on for a day every other week. But to get a tech out it is 2 + weeks it is a royal pain
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #142
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a problem with my "custom built" expander about a month ago. I called Shaw and with a couple of resets, including unplugging everything (even the cable between the Motorola box & the external drive), it worked fine.

After the fix, the Shaw screen interface was slightly different. So, Shaw obviously sent an update out that didn't get installed cleanly on my box.

If I ever call Shaw with an issue, I speak about my expander without telling them it is not a Shaw branded expander. If they ask me if it is a Shaw branded expander, I tell them it is not. They've never had an issue with it and always worked with me to solve the problem.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtfrogger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #143
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
I have the Shaw Gateway now that comes with a larger internal drive, so not sure what we will do now.
Just an FYI, but I have the Gateway system and hooked up a memory express custom expander on the E-Sata port, the Gateway found it and formatted it without an issue.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #144
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have plugged my home made PVR expander into my PC, formatted it, and then ran chkdsk. Some bad sectors were found (only 13 or something small like that), which Windows repaired. Plugged the drive in to the cable box again and it formatted and is up and running.

I am guessing that the drive will eventually fail again once I fill it to the point where it is using those bad sectors, but perhaps once Windows marks a sector as bad, it persists even when formatting on different systems. Obviously, there's nothing that I can do to prevent new bad sectors from forming. I am surprised that just a handful of bad sectors would cause the troubles I was seeing with my PVR (not booting at all), so maybe there is something more going on. As for the sounds that I was hearing - who knows? Perhaps it was the normal crunching as the drive started up, which sounded quite different from the regular crunching as it recorded a show.

In the mean time, I'll record shows like a mad man to test it and hope that it won't happen again, while not becoming too attached to the things that I record. If it keeps me away from the Shaw lineups during their busy season and keep $100 in my pocket for a little while longer, that's OK with me.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #145
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Couldnt you just clone the drive to a new one if you were that concerned about it? Never really thought about it but it should be possible.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #146
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So shaw came last night and said your home made expander is the reason your shaw box won't turn on anymore. I told him it wasn't since it doesn't turn on when the expander is not plugged in and he gave me a new box and left. Now time to cancel shaw and have wife sign up for gateway
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #147
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Please excuse the bump (a year and a half later!), but is anyone else who did the "home made expander" from Memory Express having trouble with the hard drives failing now?
My ME expander has worked fine up until recently. My Motorola 6416 box died. They replaced with a refurbed Pace tdc7760d. After hooking the expander into that, it (receiver)started power cycling itself every once in awhile which got more frequent. Sometimes a recorded show would be in 2 or 3 parts as the box would power cycle. So I unplugged the ME HDD and it is OK for a week or 2. Guess I will get the Shaw one now, as it is only $100. The one thing I noticed about the ME expander was it was really hot whenever I handled it.

Last edited by DuffMan; 12-27-2011 at 03:30 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #148
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do these expanders hook up? Are they fairly easy to connect, format and get going?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #149
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How do these expanders hook up? Are they fairly easy to connect, format and get going?
super easy.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #150
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ For the cost, however, I would consider buying an official Shaw one. They're about $100, so not much more than a drive and an enclosure, and if things get flaky with it, you should be able to swap it with Shaw.

A couple of years ago when I made my own using a HD and enclosure from Memory Express, I was saving a bunch of money by not buying the Shaw one, and my folks' one died a few months ago and they ended up having to replace it. And mine occasionally hiccups too.

But to answer your question more directly, as DuffMan says, super easy. Just connect the drive using eSata, power cycle the cable box, and you should be good to go. One of mine didn't recognize it right away and I had to call Shaw and have them reset the cable box remotely, and that didn't take long for them to do either.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #151
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
super easy.
Thanks but it's probably unnecessary for me. When my PVR gets close to full, I delete stuff. Now I'm around 20%. We have a second PVR on a non-HD TV that the wife uses so I can always record stuff on hers, which is almost always near empty.

It was a thought but on reflection I don't really need it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote