Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #121
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
Officials believe two students were wounded in crossfire as two people shot at each other at a Texas community college, a school spokesman said...
It's almost comical at this point.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #122
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
...you would have to ask the millions of Americans who have bought a gun since Obama has been president.

Maybe things have gotten worse since Bush left?
No, it's mainly cause they think he wants to take them away, even though restrictions laxed under him till now.

Even now he hasn't put anything substantial through on gun control. It's just all fear and spin.

Everytime there is a shooting gun sales go up too. Not just Obama. Just so happens there have been a lot lately. So it's not him. Just a bunch of gun nuts going 'derp derp derp, dey (wanna) took er guns!'
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #123
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I'm pretty sure you've read my posts about the drone war in the past, Azure, and you already understand my stance on it. What does it have to do with American's needing to fear him and stockpile arms? Do you believe he's going to wage a drone war against the redneck south?

I see little reason to fear Obama more than the man that got them into this ridiculous predicament to begin with, the one that launched a full-out illegal war (which is far and away more disastrous an event than the drone war, for America and the innocents involved), the man that invaded another country with no game plan and did nothing but shake the bushes and watch a growing number of enemies pop out left, right and centre, and the very visionary and architect of the Patriot Act.

Mikey says he doesn't want me to "suck him into my partisanship", but he clearly is already displaying it. Bush did things that made the entire planet hate the country to the south of us. In the end he created more enemies for America than he ever destroyed. If there was one president or man in recent history that has been a great gun salesman, it's been Bush, not Obama, but we all know the reasons why certain people would choose to label Obama that over any other.

The last paragraph of your post is simply sad. You have really been drinking the Obama kool-aid. It doesn't matter what party is in power. Obama is no better than Bush.

Perhaps Americans are stockpiling arms because DHS has purchased over 1 billion rounds of .223, .308, and .357 much of it hollow point meant to be used domestically. It's like they're planning for something.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #124
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:

Perhaps Americans are stockpiling arms because DHS has purchased over 1 billion rounds of .223, .308, and .357 much of it hollow point meant to be used domestically. It's like they're planning for something.
I'll bite: what are they planning for, mikey?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #125
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The last paragraph of your post is simply sad. You have really been drinking the Obama kool-aid. It doesn't matter what party is in power. Obama is no better than Bush.

Oh no, Are they going to put down the dissidents? Are they going to go all Hitler on Americans?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #126
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
No, it's mainly cause they think he wants to take them away, even though restrictions laxed under him till now.

Even now he hasn't put anything substantial through on gun control. It's just all fear and spin.

Everytime there is a shooting gun sales go up too. Not just Obama. Just so happens there have been a lot lately. So it's not him. Just a bunch of gun nuts going 'derp derp derp, dey (wanna) took er guns!'
Dianne Feinstein (and other democrats) have been more than open about her ambitions to get Mr. and Ms. America to turn 'em all in, ban semi-automatics, assault rifles, magazines etc.

There is a good quote floating out there along the lines of "the beauty of the 2nd amendment is that you don't need it until they try to take it away."
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #127
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I'll bite: what are they planning for, mikey?
I could only speculate.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #128
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
I could only speculate.
I'm sure you have a few ideas, have heard a few rumours amongst the better informed out there. Speculate away.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #129
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Dianne Feinstein (and other democrats) have been more than open about her ambitions to get Mr. and Ms. America to turn 'em all in, ban semi-automatics, assault rifles, magazines etc.

There is a good quote floating out there along the lines of "the beauty of the 2nd amendment is that you don't need it until they try to take it away."
Regardless how Dianne feels, you know it wouldn't work anyway. It's just an excuse to whip up fear and buy more guns. And it certainly isn't because of how Obama has governed, as I mentioned, that stats just aren't there. It's just how they PERCEIVE him.

Man the lobby and the gun companies make a ton of money off you guys.

Derp!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #130
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Oh no, Are they going to put down the dissidents? Are they going to go all Hitler on Americans?
I don't know ....I'm thinking more along the lines of a Bolshevik takeover....Obama's wet dream.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #131
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Come on, mikey, give us some details. I feel like we're on the verge of something epic here.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #132
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Regardless how Dianne feels, you know it wouldn't work anyway. It's just an excuse to whip up fear and buy more guns. And it certainly isn't because of how Obama has governed, as I mentioned, that stats just aren't there. It's just how they PERCEIVE him.

Man the lobby and the gun companies make a ton of money off you guys.

Derp!
Why wouldn't it work?

The media/government has been tirelessly creating the emotional capital to push it through. I especially like the celebrity videos they put out lobbying for gun control. Hypocrites......

I haven't contributed a red cent to any gun lobby. It's sad that America needs a gun lobby just to preserve a constitutional right.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #133
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Why wouldn't it work?

The media/government has been tirelessly creating the emotional capital to push it through. I especially like the celebrity videos they put out lobbying for gun control. Hypocrites......

I haven't contributed a red cent to any gun lobby. It's sad that America needs a gun lobby just to preserve a constitutional right.
No they haven't. Obama's biggest suggestions are for a few more controls and regs. No one is planning on taking your guns away.

And the gun lobby spends far more money and plays on far more emotional capital than the anti-gun crowd.

It's funny how none of us on the gun control side have ever suggested taking away all the guns, yet that's the first thing out of the pro guns side mouths. All we are talking about is a few common sense rules. Have a regulatory body, have stricter checks on buyers and the ability to check up on sellers, make sure they are behaving legally. Allow them to do studies on guns and gun violence.

Yet for some reason, paranoia and the lobby has turned you into this mess of misinformation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #134
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Communism fell in the USSR and Eastern Europe, largely without violence. I think the days of needing arms to fend off the tyrannical government are over. Civil resistance would be enough in the modern US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_of_1989

The Revolutions of 1989 (also known as the Fall of Communism, the Collapse of Communism, the Revolutions of Eastern Europe and the Autumn of Nations[1]) were the revolutions which overthrew the communist states in various Central and Eastern European countries.

The events began in Poland in 1989,[2][3] and continued in Hungary, East Germany, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia and Romania. One feature common to most of these developments was the extensive use of campaigns of civil resistance demonstrating popular opposition to the continuation of one-party rule and contributing to the pressure for change.[4] Romania was the only Eastern Bloc country to overthrow its Communist regime violently.[5]
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #135
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Houston update via CNN
  • Three people, including one gunman, were wounded in shooting between two people at Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, school spokesman says
  • Second gunman is on the loose, but no longer believed to be on campus, school spokesman says
Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #136
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yet for some reason, paranoia and the lobby has turned you into this mess of misinformation.
a fundamental misunderstanding of perspective is why you would think this. They think the reforms are the incremental steps towards taking the guns away. This mostly based on the progression from a democratic republic to a more totalitarian state and the history of dictatorships taking away guns. It's not a complicated concept. Of course there should be regulations on guns, but there is also a risk of too much control. This isn't as black and white as most of you make it seem.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #137
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why wouldn't it work?

Government/Media are tirelessly working on showing the people tragedies which is what they are supposed to do. Then, you see conspiracy everywhere
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #138
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Over what time frame? Is that a lot? What would the normal amount that Homeland Security would purchase?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #139
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
a fundamental misunderstanding of perspective is why you would think this. They think the reforms are the incremental steps towards taking the guns away. This mostly based on the progression from a democratic republic to a more totalitarian state and the history of dictatorships taking away guns. It's not a complicated concept. Of course there should be regulations on guns, but there is also a risk of too much control. This isn't as black and white as most of you make it seem.
What risk? Nobody is talking about controls that would even come close to those in the vast majority of western nations, and yet I'm supposed to buy that it's reasonable for the paranoid and delusional like Mikey to see this as a step towards a totalitarian state?
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #140
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
Hasn't really hurt the 30 or so other first world nations that have anywhere from controls to bans on guns.

As Trout said, older historical examples probably aren't fair or make a lot of sense. Plus a lot of the real facts on those are often glossed over by the pro-gun. IE, would an armed populace really stopped Hitler or saved the Jews? Probably would have just given all those Germans that quickly began to hate Jews a reason to shoot them.

It just feels like the fear is ratcheted up WAY past any common sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread