Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #281
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
2,923 or more gun deaths since Newtown.

Americans are unbelievably naive and gullible when they let a group like the NRA matter, imo

and Harry Reid is a #####.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._shooting.html
The most disturbing part is the kids. 51 children (a lot are toddlers) and 147 teenagers.

And I thought Harry Reid was for gun control?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #282
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

And a vice documentary about Defense Distributed, home of the wiki weapon project, where you can download a file and print off your own semi-automatic rifle!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #283
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
And a vice documentary about Defense Distributed, home of the wiki weapon project, where you can download a file and print off your own semi-automatic rifle!
are these all-plastic weapons then? would you be able to go through a metal detector with one and not set it off?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #284
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
are these all-plastic weapons then? would you be able to go through a metal detector with one and not set it off?
I can't see them being all plastic, the firing pin would been to be metal no? what about the rifle and rifling?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #285
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I can't see them being all plastic, the firing pin would been to be metal no? what about the rifle and rifling?
Bullets are usually metal too. No point bringing a gun on the plane and planning to use it if you don't have any ammo.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #286
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, no, it's not an all plastic weapon at all. What they are doing is printing the lower reciever which is the controlled part of the fireram (the part you need a licence to buy) and as the video demonstrated, it didn't hold up very well. With the pressure generated in a round going off (something around 25000 PSI) there is no way a plastic breach would be able to withstand the pressure. The part they are printing takes the least amount of stress in the firearm and it still broke after a few shots.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #287
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Bullets are usually metal too. No point bringing a gun on the plane and planning to use it if you don't have any ammo.
no they do make plastic & non metal bullets, although to be fair most are not fired from this type of weapon.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #288
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Lol, no, it's not an all plastic weapon at all. What they are doing is printing the lower reciever which is the controlled part of the fireram (the part you need a licence to buy) and as the video demonstrated, it didn't hold up very well. With the pressure generated in a round going off (something around 25000 PSI) there is no way a plastic breach would be able to withstand the pressure. The part they are printing takes the least amount of stress in the firearm and it still broke after a few shots.
They are also trying to print off magazines that hold 30+ rounds so exactly the magazines that the government is trying to ban. At the end of the video, they show a lower receiver which was able to withstand 600+ rounds of fire.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #289
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
They are also trying to print off magazines that hold 30+ rounds so exactly the magazines that the government is trying to ban. At the end of the video, they show a lower receiver which was able to withstand 600+ rounds of fire.
Sure, the technology will get to the point where you can print a lower that can take the pressure. This idea was thought up to circumvent the requirement to have a licence to purchase this part.

Law makers will no doubt (and hopefully) change the law so that it's not just the lower reciever you need to be licenced to purchase but higher stressed parts as well like the actual barrel.

Basically the point I was trying to make was the line "print off your own rifle" was a tad innacurate.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #290
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

LOL.

I can see the US government planting the plans for these gun parts online with a slight defect which renders them useless, then they can track who is downloading them.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #291
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
no they do make plastic & non metal bullets, although to be fair most are not fired from this type of weapon.
Plastic and rubber and non metal bullets should never be called non lethal ordinance unless they're used in a proper manner. A direct hit from a ballistic object traveling at several thousand feet per second are still lethal objects.

Hell people have been killed by being hit by wadding and paper from blank rounds.

The best ammo is no ammo

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #292
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Plastic and rubber and non metal bullets should never be called non lethal ordinance unless they're used in a proper manner. A direct hit from a ballistic object traveling at several thousand feet per second are still lethal objects.

Hell people have been killed by being hit by wadding and paper from blank rounds.

The best ammo is no ammo
Don't disagree, did I call them non lethal.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #293
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
LOL.

I can see the US government planting the plans for these gun parts online with a slight defect which renders them useless, then they can track who is downloading them.
why?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #294
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/043...eatured_videos

Jim Carrey totally redeems himself!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #295
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a mass shooting, but uhh yeah, what the ####?

Quote:
Authorities say a 4-year-old boy grabbed a loaded gun at a family cookout and accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Tennessee sheriff's deputy.

Investigators say Wilson County Deputy Daniel Fanning on Saturday was showing his weapons to a relative in a bedroom of his Lebanon home when the toddler came in and picked up a gun off the bed. Sheriff Robert Bryan says the weapon discharged, hitting 48-year-old Josephine Fanning.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. The child is not related to her or her husband.

Bryan says the shooting was a terrible accident and that within seconds of Fanning placing the gun on the bed, the toddler picked it up.

The gun was not Fanning's service weapon and the sheriff says the deputy's weapons are normally stored in a safe.
http://news.yahoo.com/boy-4-accident...204026525.html

Just another example why gun control is pointless. Its the culture in America that needs to change. Where else in the world is it acceptable to have firearms, let alone loaded ones, around kids of that age? What good comes of it?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #296
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not a mass shooting, but uhh yeah, what the ####?

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-4-accident...204026525.html

Just another example why gun control is pointless. Its the culture in America that needs to change. Where else in the world is it acceptable to have firearms, let alone loaded ones, around kids of that age? What good comes of it?
The gun culture in america is the way it is because of the lack of gun control. that type of accident happens all the time, if that 4 year old kid was 10 it wouldn't even gone past local news.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #297
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Agreed. The flippant and shocking casualness to guns in the household and in everyday lives is what the real tragedy is here. Gun control at least plants the standard in people's heads that guns should not be available and should be locked up. You can't prevent every accident, but you can start with setting "house rules", which are long overdue in American society.

It starts with laws and people gradually accepting them into their everyday lives. Kind of like the "no talking on cell phones while driving" rule that is now in place. It took a couple of months to figure it out, but most people do not talk and drive anymore, even if there are a few outliers.

Absolutely gun control is required as a bare minimum to deal with what is otherwise a national systemic problem with deep-rooted and misaligned values.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #298
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I probably should have been clearer in my point. Gun control would be nice, but its the deep societal issues that really drive the gun culture of the US, so gun control would have a nominal impact. So many more people in America feel helpless, afraid and desperate. Not a good combination to keep any kind of violence down.

That said here's a ringing endorsement for gun control: Mass stabbing at Lone Star College....0 dead.

Quote:
At least 14 people were wounded in an apparent mass stabbing at Lone Star College's CyFair campus in Cypress, Texas, on Tuesday. The suspect, armed with what one witness described as an X-Acto knife, was detained.

The school was placed on lockdown.

"Seek shelter now," Lone Star's Twitter feed warned Tuesday afternoon.

"If away, stay away."

The incident occurred near and around the school's Health Science Center and remains an active crime scene, police said.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...184840929.html
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #299
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know (I'm sure it's already started) that this incident in Texas as justification for students/staff to carry guns on campus.

Of course, that could also have meant this nut was carrying a gun instead of an X-Acto, but that's another story.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #300
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://http://www.mypalmbeachpost.co...hreats-/nXmdh/

Florida is not about to ban guns, but the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Dept is trying to get state funding for a program that encourages people to snitch on their neighbors.

The rationale is that it could prevent tragedies like this.

Ha, so now every nosy old bag or sociopath can make up stuff and turn an unsuspecting person's life inside out.

You wouldn't believe the trouble people have with the sheriff's dept as it is.They are overzealous at best.

With all due respect to the good intelligent people in law enforcement, PBSO tends to be full of people who probably just couldn't get a job anywhere else. Much like my job!

I don't understand what the qualifications can be for these guys if it so often turns out badly.

I also feel for the large Jewish population down here as many of them are old enough to be Holocaust survivors.

The Sheriff's Dept contends that it knows how to sift through frivolous complaints-yeah, right. After they've screwed up somebody's life.

I cannot wait to move out of this frickstick place.

Last edited by missdpuck; 05-13-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Closed Thread