Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:
Default What is the definition of a #1 centre?

I was just curious as to what people thought a #1 centre actually is. I was trying to come up with a concrete definition but really struggled.

- Is it the top 30 centres in the league?
- Does defensive awareness matter?
- Does being over 50% in faceoffs matter?
- Does being a playoff team matter?

There are some teams that are stacked at centre, does that make their #2 centre a #1 center in the league?
- Malkin, J.Staal, Kesler, M.Richards, Krejci, Zetterberg, Couture, Pavelski.

Then there are questionable #1 centres who are #1 centres on their team, but does that classify them as a #1 centre?
- Stasny, Hodgson, Dubinsky, Plekanec, Zajac, Bozak, Little

Then I go to the question of having to be defensive aware in order to be classified as a #1. Where does that leave guys like:
- Backstrom, H.Sedin, Nugent-Hopkins, B.Richards, Spezza, Ribero.

Here is who I felt is my definition of a #1 centre:

26 total
Getzlaf Krejci Bergeron E.Staal J.Staal Toews Duchene Seguin Datsyuk Zetterberg Nugent-Hopkins Kopitar M.Richards Koivu Tavares B.Richards Spezza Giroux Lecavalier Ribero Crosby Malkin Thornton Backes Stamkos H.Sedin Kesler Backstrom
and here are my questionable ones:

13 total
Hodgson Stastny O'Reilly Dubinsky Plekanec Zajac Henrique Stepan Turris Couture Pavelski Bozak Little
I define a #1 center as a guy who would be the #1 centre on an average to above average team (lets say the 8th place team in each conference). Defensive awareness is part of this, but if they make up their defense for offense (Spezza, Backstrom, Nugent-Hopkins, etc.) then the defensive aspect does not carry as much weight. Faceoff's does not carry a lot of weight for me, it is a key part of playing centre, but I feel you can make up for that in other ways.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Technically speaking each team has a number one center.

Obviously, there are many other factors that have to be brought into the equation though.

Is Stajan the number one center on the Flames, likely yes.

Is Stajan the number one center on any other NHL team, likely no.

Last edited by DOOM; 10-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very tough to gauge and everyone's definition will be different. Ask some people there are only 10 in the league. I think if a team possess a center that can put up top line points, carry a line, strong all around player.

Some will say the flames never acquired a top line center to play with Iginla but there were at least 2-3 seasons where Daymond Langkow put up numbers that would meet my criteria as top line C
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh god, not this again.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh lord...this thread will be hilarious/awful.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When using the phrase #1 center I personally don't think there are 30 guys in the league and certainly not everyone has one that would fit into that category. Of course the argument of technically there are 30 #1 centers in the league comes up but that seems pretty useless to me but some seem to find something in it, maybe because it allows them to pump up their guy more easily.

For me a number center has to be elite or very good (if defensively proficient) to be considered a number 1 center.

Out of your lists for me I would say with out a doubters are:

Getzlaf E.Staal Toews Datsyuk Zetterberg Kopitar Tavares Spezza Giroux Crosby Malkin Thornton Stamkos H.Sedin

These guys all for me are no doubt top of the league the best guys at their position that can carry not only a line but a team. Thornton is just in there and likely gone after this year and Bergeron is so close that I think I am wrong for keeping him out.

Damn impressive and you can win if they have some help around them probably still #1's but below the above group:

Bergeron M.Richards

Young guys who need a year or two to show they are there:

J.Staal Duchene Seguin Nugent-Hopkins

Tweeners not quite #1's in my books but damn good #2's wouldn't want them as the best player on my team if competing for a Cup:

Krecji, Koivu, Kesler, Backstrom, Couture

Not #1's at all in my view:

Ribero Backes Lecavalier B. Richards Hodgson Stastny O'Reilly Dubinsky Plekanec Zajac Henrique Stepan Turris Pavelski Bozak Little

Mine is probably broken down a little too much but I do like the idea of playing for a top team in the conference idea.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I shudder at even trying to answer this question, it's like saying "what makes a player good?".
I'd say this: a number one center is a guy with a high level of talent (whether it be offensively or defensively) and is relied upon to carry his team in full or in part. As well, a true number one center should be roughly comparable to to every other #1 in the league.
For example, Toews, Eric Staal, Backstrom, Malkin, and Henrik Sedin. These are all number 1 centers because there is no clear cut skill differential. All bring different skills, but they are all at that same level. Jordan Staal, on the other hand, is a number 2, because if you compare him to any of those guys, you'd pretty much take all of them over him.
It's not perfect, but that's kind of how I see it. I think there are 20ish true #1 centers in the NHL.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really hoping that the op was asking for my definition of a bombastic jazz style....

Other wise the definitions are the crosbies and guys if his ilk....note, you have to refer to these guys in plural form....

Last edited by Northendzone; 10-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Wilt Chamberlain.

20,000 served.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
When using the phrase #1 center I personally don't think there are 30 guys in the league and certainly not everyone has one that would fit into that category. Of course the argument of technically there are 30 #1 centers in the league comes up but that seems pretty useless to me but some seem to find something in it, maybe because it allows them to pump up their guy more easily.

For me a number center has to be elite or very good (if defensively proficient) to be considered a number 1 center.

Out of your lists for me I would say with out a doubters are:

Getzlaf E.Staal Toews Datsyuk Zetterberg Kopitar Tavares Spezza Giroux Crosby Malkin Thornton Stamkos H.Sedin

These guys all for me are no doubt top of the league the best guys at their position that can carry not only a line but a team. Thornton is just in there and likely gone after this year and Bergeron is so close that I think I am wrong for keeping him out.

Damn impressive and you can win if they have some help around them probably still #1's but below the above group:

Bergeron M.Richards

Young guys who need a year or two to show they are there:

J.Staal Duchene Seguin Nugent-Hopkins

Tweeners not quite #1's in my books but damn good #2's wouldn't want them as the best player on my team if competing for a Cup:

Krecji, Koivu, Kesler, Backstrom, Couture

Not #1's at all in my view:

Ribero Backes Lecavalier B. Richards Hodgson Stastny O'Reilly Dubinsky Plekanec Zajac Henrique Stepan Turris Pavelski Bozak Little

Mine is probably broken down a little too much but I do like the idea of playing for a top team in the conference idea.
J Staal is 25 and has never had more then 50 points, don't see why hes grouped with those players.

Last edited by DOOM; 10-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There will never be a consensus as to what constitutes a #1 center. For me, I just loosely think of it as a center who is in the same ballpark in terms of offensive stats as the top 20-30 centers in the league. However, for me, it doesn't imply it is an elite center, or franchise player. Jokinen his last season here was a #1 center (ranked in the 20's or so, if memory serves). Most people would disagree.

Everyone has their own opinion on it. I don't think of it much. If a center is 'around' where the top chunk of centers are statistically, I call them that. Just me though, and everyone has their own interpretation.

Just as annoying as trying to nail down the definition for a #1 D-man.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to define
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Well duh but the problem with this is that Crosby type players only come around once in a while.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Wilt Chamberlain.

20,000 served.
He didn't even play a sport.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
He didn't even play a sport.
Uh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Traditional CP definition is "a better center than what the Flames have now".

EDIT: Actually I thought of three ways of using the words "#1 center". None of them are very clear.

1) "We need a #1 center", where #1 center = better center than what we have now.
2) "He is our #1 center / our #1 center is hurt" where #1 center = the best center we have now.
3) "He is not a #1 center" where #1 center = "good enough"

EDIT2:

Out of those three, I think the first two make some sense. I generally don't use it in the last sense, because it's too arbitrary and only confuses what you're trying to say.

Last edited by Itse; 10-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just classify them as an elite offensive player that plays down the middle. Being a good 2 way player definitely is a plus, but you don't need to be that to be what many refer to as a number 1 centre.

Look at a guy like Bergeron who puts up very good numbers and is Selke-esque defensively but I don't think many would say he's a "true" number 1 guy. But a player like Tavares or Stamkos is because of how good they are offensively.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In the Flames' case?

A hockey player that is played at the center ice position on the 1st line.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: