Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default any vets in here?

My Long Haired Whippet was having severe diarrhea to the point as if he was urinating out of his anus. The two LHW's that we have do have a sensitive stomach and when we change foods they tend to get the runs for a day or two. So I didn't think much of it for a few days but after 3 days and the diarrhea getting worse, and Loki acting lethargic we rushed him to the vet.

Of course the vet said the dreaded C word. All blood tests, and xrays came back fine with the exception of high white blood cell count. So they kept him a few days on IV fluid and special food with medicine basically Imodium.

So we get him home and it's almost as if he had a stroke, his back legs aren't working right, he stands up and just plops right down again. I'm getting worried because he was eating and drinking just fine before we took him to the vet and now he wont eat or drink.

We take him to a new vet and basically told us that his brain wont flush out the medicine which is making him ill.

basically this :http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/news/ginger.aspx

Last night I got him to eat a slice of bread dipped in water, today he ate a half can of wet food. He's still not eating much and drinking less. So he got another IV bag yesterday and he's now getting up and walking around then plopping down again. He's acting better but still looks like he had a stroke almost with coordination being terrible.

He's only 25 pounds and has lost a lot of weight, if he doesn't start acting better tomorrow the vet told us that we can get him to Mississippi State University vet science program and we've been in contact with the Washington state lady in the article and they're going to work together.

Loki is the grey dog and Gryffin is the red dog. Our breeder has passed away last year and she was from Toronto so we have no other people to talk to.

Katie and I don't have any children yet and these are our kids. It makes me cry seeing him like this. Just sitting up, and flopping down right away.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a vet and this could be a long shot but look at videos about Vestibular Disease in dogs and see if he's acting like that at all.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm not a vet but I wanted to wish you and Loki the best.

How old is Loki?
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same here. All the best.

Did the original vet share their thoughts as to the high white cell count? A bit high? Very high?

I'm no vet but would have thought diarrhoea with a raised count might warrant some antibiotics along with the Immodium. Just guessing here.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

White blood count was high, not very high, but the Vet said probably fighting an infection. He is 12 years old and was in great shape up until this.

Good news is that this morning he ate food and drank on his own!!! he's looking more normal by the hour.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear PIMking. Tough to watch your furry buddies in pain when they can't tell you what's wrong. Vets really are incredible people.

I hope this works out for you and your friend.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is acting pretty normal, little lethargic due to losing weight but I just gave him a piece of white bread and he destroyed it!!!

I'm sooooo relived that he's acting normal, he's my baby and going to bed worrying at night whether he'd be alive in the morning sucked.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I am not the "Vet" you are looking for....
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I am not the "Vet" you are looking for....

I knew he wasn't looking for me when the "V" wasn't capitalized...
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

When my dog gets the runs I feed him pumpkin, it literally stops the second he digests it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pumpkin made it worse, however he's back eating normal food, and playful again.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now he's throwing up and pooping everywhere....
Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Weird, canned pumpkin usually stops it instantly.

Maybe he has a stomach virus?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're at the emergency vet and he has a temp of 106
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had to rush him to Mississippi state university vet school. Made it 88 miles in 50 mins
Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez, wow. All the best to your pup.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #17
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he's eating, just not much.