Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #3121
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Would you rather have a GM that planned for injuries that didn't happen or one who didn't plan for injuries that did?

Of course he needs to plan for injuries, but he also needs to plan for getting his best prospect who ‘is ready to be in NHL’ in the lineup. Two different plans
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #3122
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Of course he needs to plan for injuries, but he also needs to plan for getting his best prospect who ‘is ready to be in NHL’ in the lineup. Two different plans
And of course the fact that he hasn't executed the plan to get Jankowski into the lineup means he has no plan, amirite? I mean, my goodness gracious me, it's been almost two weeks already. Jankowski's entire career has already been ruined!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #3123
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
And of course the fact that he hasn't executed the plan to get Jankowski into the lineup means he has no plan, amirite? I mean, my goodness gracious me, it's been almost two weeks already. Jankowski's entire career has already been ruined!
Easy there bub. No one is saying Jankowski's career is ruined. What is being said however, is that the Flames roster is not currently constructed from the best available players and some posters are frustrated that what seem to be relatively simple means to rectify the situation (i.e. waiving Freddie Hamilton, simply not signing Tanner Glass) are not being exercised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #3124
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Hamilton & Glass do not take up a Jankowski roster spot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #3125
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Hamilton & Glass do not take up a Jankowski roster spot.

and why do you say that?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #3126
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glass gets put out there when he needs to act like a meat head. That's the reason he's there. He can "intimidate" but still play hockey. They want a guy like him for that reason alone. Look who Glass plays with and ask if you'd want Janko in his spot with those players.

The only way Janko is making the team is if there is an injury to one of the top 9 guys or one of them is traded.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #3127
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
and why do you say that?
Because Jankowski should at least be playing top 9 minutes consistently, which is what he's doing.

Not playing the odd shift or sitting in the press box.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #3128
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because Jankowski should at least be playing top 9 minutes consistently, which is what he's doing.

Not playing the odd shift or sitting in the press box.
Jankowski is not 18 years old. He has played 5 seasons already after being drafted. He dominated the AHL last year and is doing it again this year. He is not a fragile kid who was just drafted. Play him on the 4th line, give him 8-10 mins and let him work his way up through the line up this year. This way in 2018-2019, he has NHL experience and will feel a lot more comfortable playing than being a rookie at 24-25.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #3129
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jankowski is not 18 years old. He has played 5 seasons already after being drafted. He dominated the AHL last year and is doing it again this year. He is not a fragile kid who was just drafted. Play him on the 4th line, give him 8-10 mins and let him work his way up through the line up this year. This way in 2018-2019, he has NHL experience and will feel a lot more comfortable playing than being a rookie at 24-25.
Yeah, I don't think 4th line minutes on a good night are a lot less than 3rd line minutes. Against Anaheim, Bennett had fewer minutes than Stajan. Lazar and Glass had a couple minutes less but neither of them play any special teams, which accounted for most of the difference.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #3130
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow what a lot of bitching. I wonder what would happen if we were in last place?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #3131
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Wow what a lot of bitching. I wonder what would happen if we were in last place?
Being 4-2-0 doesnt mean you are not allowed to discuss improvements
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #3132
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Do you also blame the loss against the Sens on Gulutzan for bitching about shots against when they were winning?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #3133
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

All teams get beat...better early than late. I dont see any team thats far better than any other at this point.
Also, bitch away, just pointing out my view as well. It comes across as petty bitching rather than discussion, that's all.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #3134
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the Flames roster right now. Sure it could be better but it's still pretty damned good. Adding Janko would be awesome but I want to see him where he can show his stuff off and I just don't think there's a place for him on the team...yet. He will be on the team this year and I don't think he'll look out of place. Let the team play well and when something happens it'll be good to have the depth to depend on.

Bitching and complaining are good, there's always room for improvement. Even if the team was 6-0 there would be something to complain about but the fact is, most of us are really happy with the team moving forward.

GFG.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #3135
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For further reading, the 'Is Bennett a winger or a centre' thread does have a solution for bringing Jankowski up, and having him play the third line. Spoiler alert : it involves moving Bennett to the wing.

Hamilton is the odd man out in this scenario, and Glass, Stajan are the rotating bench player, when a meathead is required.

I think that Calgary could be opportunistic when it comes to trades, but there is no need right now, as the roster is constructed.

The more interesting league wide trade discussion is going to be Vegas, Pittsburgh, and any slow starters, for the next little bit. Some of these teams needing a Stajan, Brouwer or other player is legitimate speculation.

If they are not going to play Kulak, I wonder at the excess D in Vegas as a target for an upgrade at 6th D, but that's not going to happen in division as long as Vegas keeps winning somehow.

(Edit : Janko suggestion from Rubicant looks pretty good.)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #3136
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't about age or the actual TOI. It's about quality of minutes. I don't see him developing into a role as a bottom 6 player, therefore he deserves top 6 minutes in the AHL until there is an opportunity for him with the big club to play the role we all want him to play. And that's a big one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #3137
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't about age or the actual TOI. It's about quality of minutes. I don't see him developing into a role as a bottom 6 player, therefore he deserves top 6 minutes in the AHL until there is an opportunity for him with the big club to play the role we all want him to play. And that's a big one.
Fair enough. Agree to disagree
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #3138
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nhl is not top six bottom six anymore. Most teams run three lines and 4 if depth allows.

Playing more in inferior positions against inferior players in an inferior league is not the answer.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #3139
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:
icon53

Man is it ever quite on the Iginla front!!! Any news, rumours, info? Please Jarome retire and play for Canada at the Olympics
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #3140
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Man is it ever quite on the Iginla front!!! Any news, rumours, info? Please Jarome retire and play for Canada at the Olympics
Speculating he goes to the Olympics and signs with whichever contender will have him for the final stretch and playoffs
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread