Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2023, 08:05 AM   #101
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
Rather than using concrete nails, I use lag screws to hold things down. Just use an impact driver to put them in and out, super quick
https://www.amazon.ca/Lag-Screws-Hea...08BVZNWBC?th=1
They hold incredibly well, and go in super quick.
Ah, so that's what they're called! I went to Home Depot looking for concrete nails, failed miserably but found these. I figured I'd give it a shot, but also figured I'd drive one through a root and never get it out. Turns out they go in and out super easy, and they hold a ton of weight. We're buying about 10 more for next year.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #102
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
Rather than using concrete nails, I use lag screws to hold things down. Just use an impact driver to put them in and out, super quick
https://www.amazon.ca/Lag-Screws-Hea...08BVZNWBC?th=1
They hold incredibly well, and go in super quick.
I don't think I've ever taken an impact driver camping and I don't plan to start doing so, lol.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:47 PM   #103
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Let’s talk about roto molded coolers.

I’d like to get one for camping season this year as I reckon they would be better than my 15 yr old Rubbermaid cooler.

It seems as though Yeti is the standard but they are so bloody expensive. Does anybody have experience with other brands? Woods? Igloo? Newell? iRockler?

I’m just curious if Yetis are just a name brand or if they are that much better.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:02 PM   #104
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you just insulate the lid of the crappy coolers and improve the seal around the lid you can make the crappy cooler way more thermally efficient. For me that was good enough.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:11 PM   #105
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You need two coolers anyway; one for drinks that you open ten times a day, and one for food that only gets opened at meat time. Having a towel to cover the frozen food as the fullness level drops helps keep your cool.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:18 PM   #106
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

I’d like to get one for camping season this year as I reckon they would be better than my 15 yr old Rubbermaid cooler.

It seems as though Yeti is the standard but they are so bloody expensive. Does anybody have experience with other brands? Woods? Igloo? Newell? iRockler?

I’m just curious if Yetis are just a name brand or if they are that much better.
They are that much better but it really depends on the situation. Are you going into remote areas for many days where you can't refill your cooler? If yes, a more expensive Yeti will definitely help. But if you can easily buy ice then it doesn't necessarily make sense to spend hundreds on a good cooler when you can buy a couple bags of ice for $10 every day or two.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 05:37 PM   #107
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
You need two coolers anyway; one for drinks that you open ten times a day, and one for food that only gets opened at meat time. Having a towel to cover the frozen food as the fullness level drops helps keep your cool.
You don't put that stuff in cooler bags in a cooler?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM   #108
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

We have one of these Driftsun coolers and it's been great. Stays cold for 4 days minimum. I usually freeze an old 2 litre milk jug and a few freezer packs.

https://bestcooler.reviews/driftsun-cooler-review/
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 07:01 PM   #109
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

It has been a few years since I have tent camped long enough to need cooling for more than 2 days. However at the time I found the cost of dry ice a couple of times per year seemed to be a more cost effective option than buying a $500 cooler.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:09 PM   #110
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We have a grey/silver igloo or coleman that we use for the once or twice day opening and keeps stuff frozen for several days. For the regular opening I have a 'normal' cooler that gets ice replenished. The milk jug full of ice is also a great idea and keeps your cooler dry which bag ice does not. I also use a smaller 12 can cooler for beer which I put bag ice in and the water helps keep it cold.

Also, I just bought these ice packs for my lunch bag. I put two in and they are both mostly frozen at the end of the day. Just a normal lunch bag and stuff is kept very cold. There is something in the packs and you just add water. Would definitely consider these for camping: https://www.amazon.ca/TOURIT-Reusabl..._ba_s_1_t&th=1
Old 04-20-2024, 10:43 PM   #111
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also, apparently adding Great Stuff to your cheap cooler's lid and walls improves the efficacy exponentially. I have not tried it yet but plan to.

Cracking eggs into a container, as mentioned above, is also brilliant. I would use a larger-mouthed container, but I think it would even work for fried eggs. If not, scrambled eggs always work.

This video shows how plus some other tips:

Other tenting tips, a large tarp over the tent keep rain and sun off the tent itself and creates a dryspace outside your tent if you don't have a vestibule.

A maul as opposed to an axe makes chopping much easier. I bring a rubber maid with dried wood and kindling and paper so I can get it started if the wood on sight is not great. Also, buying firewood from the place at deerfoot/glenmore that used to be burnco allows you to be sure you have good wood, haha.

A good lamp is also a great idea. I have the old school coleman propane lamp but I am sure there are better LED options now.

We also have a campfire grate that has a grill but also a shelf you can use for briquets. You pound the stake into the ground and the grates slide on the pole and friction stay where you want them but also are easy to swivel.

Amazon campfire grills.

I also love my fire poker I got at Princess auto. Nice to have a dedicated fire poker and I use it with the grills as well.

High quality oven mitts are also a great idea.

Headlamps are also a great idea. Great for cooking or setting up in the dark.

A couple of large-capacity portable iPhone chargers are probably a requirement.

Hot dog sticks are a good idea.

I like to get a bigger hammer/sledge. Makes driving the stakes in much easier and quicker. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tuf...dle/1001638568

I have found this style of grommet replacement works really well. I found them at Princess auto: https://www.stevestonmarine.com/tarp...ip-%284pack%29

I agree on the two burner coleman propane stove.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 08:54 PM   #112
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

On the topic of a cooler, I've got this one from Coleman. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0854315p.html

The white exterior is great as it absorbs less heat. I have easily gone 5 days summer camping with it as my only cooler with drinks and food, so being opened frequently. Some tips I have is to swap some beers out for something like Gatorade and freeze them. As well, for some foods you know won't be needed till day 3 or later, freeze them. Anything else you add, always get it as cold as you can before putting it in the cooler (fridge night before or a bag of ice and discard before you leave for the trip). I use those flat blue freezer packs as they fit well between items and can layer em.

The super expensive coolers ain't worth it.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:04 AM   #113
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ratchet straps and bungies are great for the tarp support. Easy to tighten but the bungie allows play in the wind. Always make sure you have a low corner directed downhill away from your tent.

A fillable water jug to reduce trips to the tap.

I bought a water bandit to be able to use a hose on stripped faucet: https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-22484-22...5f392b22152bcd

Maybe more of an RV hack but a lifesaver.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:10 AM   #114
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A small shovel or metal dust pan and aluminum pie tins. (Dollar store for the win for all aluminum. Also, cake pans for veggies. They also have pans for veggies with holes in them.)

Once the fire is going, use the shovel to transfer some of the coals into a pie tin. Slide that under your chair. Game changer. Refill as necessary.

Two rubbermaids for doing dishes.

Cheap table cloth for picnic table but the clamps are a necessity. Tablecloth, clamps and diswashing stuff all fit in the rubbermaids to pack.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:25 AM   #115
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
A small shovel or metal dust pan and aluminum pie tins. (Dollar store for the win for all aluminum. Also, cake pans for veggies. They also have pans for veggies with holes in them.)

Once the fire is going, use the shovel to transfer some of the coals into a pie tin. Slide that under your chair. Game changer. Refill as necessary.

Two rubbermaids for doing dishes.

Cheap table cloth for picnic table but the clamps are a necessity. Tablecloth, clamps and diswashing stuff all fit in the rubbermaids to pack.
Oooo that's a pretty good one.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 AM   #116
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just stumbled on this bad boy: https://www.princessauto.com/en/ash-...t/PA0008560195

Perfect.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #117
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I did a huge camping roadtrip last summer through the mojave down to LA and back up the coast over 2 weeks. I was skeptical if the Yeti would be worth it, but I was really happy with how it performed. There may well be less expensive / better value options out there, but as far as whether Yeti is good or not, in my experience it was great even in the greenhouse of a car environment with several days in Utah / Nevada / California.

Also HD North Hill has lots of concrete nails... I stocked up with a few more for the season just recently!

Last edited by RoadGame; 04-22-2024 at 03:52 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote