Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #241
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone made Crème brûlée at home? It's one of my favorite desserts when I'm out for dinner, is it easy to make?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #242
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Has anyone made Crème brûlée at home? It's one of my favorite desserts when I'm out for dinner, is it easy to make?
Here's a very basic recipe...and all you really need to make this work properly is a few ramekins and a blow torch.

Basic Mix (about 12 portions)

1/2 L whipping cream, 35 - 36%
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup of sugar

place the cream in pot and scold. (just beginning to boil, enough to form a skin)
in a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the sugar.
once the cream has scolded, temper the egg/sugar mixture...adding the cream a little bit at a time. If you add the hot cream to the egg too quickly you may scramble your eggs.
-----------------------------------------------

To bake, pour the mixture into ramekins and place ramekins into a half hotel pan or something large enough to hold all the ramekins. Pour enough water to cover ramekins about half way up. cover with tin foil and bake at about 325F, turning pan around every 15 minutes for about 45 minutes...or until brulees are fully set.

With this basic mixture you can get as creative as you want with the flavorings for your brulees. Just remember to always add your flavoring agent to the cream before scolding. Depending on what you use, you may need to strain the cream before tempering the eggs.
------------------------------------------------

Here's a few of my favorite flavorings for brulees.

Vanilla---cut three vanilla beans in half and add the pods to the cream, also add a touch of vanilla extract.

Espresso---ground espresso, vanilla beans, frangelico liqueur or kaluah. when adding these ingredients to the cream, add just enough to get a hint of each. you can also use decaf espresso to get rid of the extra kick in this one. (make sure to strain)

Orange and Gin---orange zest (add once cream has scolded) fresh orange juice, bombay gin

white chocolate---vanilla pods, white chocolate (approx. 125g)
place the chocolate in a mixing bowl and cook over a pot of warm water. once the cream has scolded, add the cream slowly into the chocolate before tempering the egg/sugar mixture.
------------------------------------------------

once your brulees are cooked, place in the fridge. once cool, add some caster sugar and torch until caramelized.

Last edited by sadora; 01-25-2010 at 11:19 PM.
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #243
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Here's a very basic recipe...and all you really need to make this work properly is a few ramekins and a blow torch.

Basic Mix (about 12 portions)

1/2 L whipping cream, 35 - 36%
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup of sugar

place the cream in pot and scold. (just beginning to boil, enough to form a skin)
in a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the sugar.
once the cream has scolded, temper the egg/sugar mixture...adding the cream a little bit at a time. If you add the hot cream to the egg too quickly you may scramble your eggs.

To bake, pour the mixture into ramekins and place ramekins into a half hotel pan or something large enough to hold all the ramekins. Pour enough water to cover ramekins about half way up. cover with tin foil and bake at about 325F, turning pan around every 15 minutes for about 45 minutes...or until brulees are fully set.

With this basic mixture you can get as creative as you want with the flavorings for your brulees. Just remember to always add your flavoring agent to the cream before scolding. Depending on what you use, you may need to strain the cream before tempering the eggs.

Here's a few of my favorite flavorings for brulees.

Vanilla---cut three vanilla beans in half and add the pods to the cream, also add a touch of vanilla extract.

Espresso---ground espresso, vanilla beans, frangelico liqueur or kaluah. when adding these ingredients to the cream, add just enough to get a hint of each. you can also use decaf espresso to get rid of the extra kick in this one. (make sure to strain)

Orange and Gin---orange zest (add once cream has scolded) fresh orange juice, bombay gin

white chocolate---vanilla pods, white chocolate (approx. 125g)
place the chocolate in a mixing bowl and cook over a pot of warm water. once the cream has scolded, add the cream slowly into the chocolate before tempering the egg/sugar mixture.
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sadora For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #244
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

OK... I think myself as a good cook, but for the life of me I can't seem to make chocolate mousse without royally messing it up. All I ask for is some nice fluffy creamy chocolate mousse that can be dipped with strawberries.

What's the proper technique?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #245
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
OK... I think myself as a good cook, but for the life of me I can't seem to make chocolate mousse without royally messing it up. All I ask for is some nice fluffy creamy chocolate mousse that can be dipped with strawberries.

What's the proper technique?
You're destined to fail at making mousse just as I am destined to fail at making hash browns. Yes, hash browns. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the universe that fatas up hash browns, but I do it consistently. Making lasagna is a breeze, but putting shredded potatoes in a pan is a recipe for disaster in my kitchen.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #246
enthused
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
You're destined to fail at making mousse just as I am destined to fail at making hash browns. Yes, hash browns. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the universe that fatas up hash browns, but I do it consistently. Making lasagna is a breeze, but putting shredded potatoes in a pan is a recipe for disaster in my kitchen.
I think that's your problem. Shredded hashbrowns are terrible.
enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #247
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Make sure you use a high starch potato, like russets, when making hash browns. The #1 step here is to make sure the potatoes are very dry before you add them to the pan. If there is too much moisture the surface starch absorbs the moisture which prevents browning and he potato will absorb the oil giving you a greasy, unappetizing mess.

After you grate the potatoes, dry them fairly thoroughly with a tea towel or paper tower. You can now either form the potatoes into patties or make one big hash brown. Add some butter and oil to a hot pan (butter for flavor and oil to prevent the butter from burning), and add your potato. Season it with your favorite flavors (garlic powder, pepper, chili powder) and don't flip it until the first side is well browned. Flip it, brown the other side, and season with a small pinch of salt when you remove it from the pan. Enjoy!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #248
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthused View Post
I think that's your problem. Shredded hashbrowns are terrible.
I would agree, cube up your potatoes and fry them in a hot pan with olive oil or bacon fat or what ever you have.

Don't overwork them, let them brown up, I like a sprinkle of Montreal steak spice on mine.

Now potato pancakes... hmm, I failed last try, I think they need to be shredded and then strained, or put in a clean tea towel and twisted till dry. ?

Any good Potatoe pancake recipes?
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #249
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
I would agree, cube up your potatoes and fry them in a hot pan with olive oil or bacon fat or what ever you have.

Don't overwork them, let them brown up, I like a sprinkle of Montreal steak spice on mine.

Now potato pancakes... hmm, I failed last try, I think they need to be shredded and then strained, or put in a clean tea towel and twisted till dry. ?

Any good Potatoe pancake recipes?
It's almost as if I said how to make them 4 cm above your post..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #250
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
After you grate the potatoes, dry them fairly thoroughly with a tea towel or paper tower.
I read that using a salad spinner to dry them does the trick as well.

Going through Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at home cookbook, and it was listed in there. There was something to do with Ice water as well, i'll have to go home tonight and check.

On another note, I made a very nice tomato sauce from his book. Using leeks/fennel/onions/garlic/tomatoes. Quite delicious.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #251
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
I read that using a salad spinner to dry them does the trick as well.

Going through Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at home cookbook, and it was listed in there. There was something to do with Ice water as well, i'll have to go home tonight and check.

On another note, I made a very nice tomato sauce from his book. Using leeks/fennel/onions/garlic/tomatoes. Quite delicious.
It's quite possible that would work. Probably not the one I have at home, but that would be due to the design of the product, not the concept of drying potato with a spinner. Basically use whatever method your comfortable with, just make sure the potatoes are dry before they hit the pan.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #252
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steve Raichlen's Beer-can Chicken is frak'n awesome!

http://www.barbecuebible.com/feature..._beercan_c.php
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #253
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Steve Raichlen's Beer-can Chicken is frak'n awesome!

http://www.barbecuebible.com/feature..._beercan_c.php
Steve Raichlen is awesome. I hope one of the PBS stations we get shows it again.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #254
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just checked out this thread, and love it-going to try some of the tips, tricks and recipies. About the Spaetzle, I grew up on the stuff and miss it now that I can't get it home made anymore-baked with swiss cheese and topped in carmelzed onion is the best-we used a contraption like this which I still have-I think I have to find a good recipe to try
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #255
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cool thread, I just bought Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at home and have been learning a bunch. Made his buttermilk fried chicken last weekend, and the brined pork tenderloin yesterday, both were pretty amazing.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #256
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Okay I need some golden CP ideas here.

I have made a commitment this year to cooking at home more often, and including vegetables in my meals, you know for good health and all that.

What do you guys put on your vegetables to give them flavor?

Please give me a list of sauces, herbs, spices etc. to give my vegetables more tasty variety....
I bought a veggie steamer, so I will be steaming them alot.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #257
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Steak, sometimes chicken

Seriously though, you need to start picking your vegetables more carefully, that's one area that can really change the taste of your veggie meals. Carrots and tomatos can taste significantly different depending on where you got them from. I would suggest the Farmers Market to at least try the difference between a safeway carrot and an organic carrot.

Last edited by ma-skis.com; 01-27-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: more info
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #258
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Okay I need some golden CP ideas here.

I have made a commitment this year to cooking at home more often, and including vegetables in my meals, you know for good health and all that.

Please give me a list of sauces, herbs, spices etc. to give my vegetables more tasty variety....

Steamed:
- Greek Spice (bottled) + olive oil + lemon juice
- (Garlic)Butter
- melted cheese
- Sea salt + fresh crack pepper (to keep things simple)

Other ideas
- Simple stir fry with puree garlic and a splash of chinese soy sauce (light)
- Spinach and other green vegetables can put into chicken broth
- Japanese - blanched spinach drizzled with sesame oil
- Grill things like eggplant, peppers, and other "grillable" vegetables on the BBQ for 5min and season with balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Sautee in garlic and butter
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #259
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Don't steam them. Toss them in olive oil and roast them in a 400 to 450 degree oven instead.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #260
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Don't steam them. Toss them in olive oil and roast them in a 400 to 450 degree oven instead.
If I roast frozen veggies in the oven, wouldn't they be all watery?
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking , food , kitchen