Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default samsung galaxy, bb torch or iphone 4?

just wondering which phones you guys have and which you prefer out of the 3? looking to get a new phone but cant decide if I should stick to bb or venture off with a new phone.
-iphone 4 is good but i use my phone a lot and dont want to keep plugging it in and charging it.
-samsung galaxy looks like a great phone and a vivid screen and runs on the adnroid OS.
-torch pretty wicked but im not a big fan of slider phones at all. im sure ill get used to it but not right now
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
just wondering which phones you guys have and which you prefer out of the 3? looking to get a new phone but cant decide if I should stick to bb or venture off with a new phone.
-iphone 4 is good but i use my phone a lot and dont want to keep plugging it in and charging it.
-samsung galaxy looks like a great phone and a vivid screen and runs on the adnroid OS.
-torch pretty wicked but im not a big fan of slider phones at all. im sure ill get used to it but not right now
The Galaxy is sick. I havent seen iPhone 4... but I love the open platform of the Samsung.

Stay away from the Torch. All I've heard is that it is still ways behind for technology etc.

BTW this probably goes in the Tech Talk sub forum.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'm going through the same decision making process right now. I'm trying to decide between the Galaxy S (Vibrant or Captivate) and iPhone 4. I tossed the Torch out of the picture a while ago, it just can't stand up to these phones. There are positives and negatives to both, and from my research these are some of them.

Galaxy S
+ Customizable home screen
+ Widgets
+ Flash capable
+ Bigger screen
- App selection
- Battery Life
- Android updates
- Recovery mode issue
iPhone 4
+ Apple support
+ App selection
+ Retina screen
- Lack of customization
- Smaller screen
- Need iTunes to sync?

There's more, but that's what I've seen so far.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was going through the same thing but I finally decided on the iPhone 4. The reason I went that way was because of the single platform model. With the Galaxy S it OS version it had was 2.1 and there was no guarantee that it would work with 2.2 or 2.3 or even if it did, when the phone would actually get the release. With the iPhone at least you know that 4.1, 4.2, etc will work on the phone and the day that it's released is the day you get it. That alone really sold me on the iPhone 4 (went from a 3G to a 4).
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad that BB products have fallen so behind. Seems like they're just following others now instead of trying to create something original like they used to 3-4 years ago.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think you can use battery life as a negative on the iPhone 4 in comparision to the Galaxy, from what I have read. They are about the same, with the iPhone having better battery when it comes to video playback.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Windows (Phone 7) is coming out with their new operating system and phones pretty soon (November I think). I would take a look at those too. I have heard lots of good things from tech journalist so far. Of course I would wait till they come out and some reviews hit the presses first.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The battery on the iPhone is good for standby/phone use. It gets killed when you're using app's, but I assume the Samsung is the same way.

Standby on the iPhone for 5 hours will run the battery down like 2-3%, but if I start running app's or Safari for 20 minutes, it is down to 80% haha.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Windows (Phone 7) is coming out with their new operating system and phones pretty soon (November I think). I would take a look at those too. I have heard lots of good things from tech journalist so far. Of course I would wait till they come out and some reviews hit the presses first.
I really didn't like the UI from what I saw. Just not my cup of tea. I really like the UI of the Galaxy S, and I can live with the iOS UI.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I was going through the same thing but I finally decided on the iPhone 4. The reason I went that way was because of the single platform model. With the Galaxy S it OS version it had was 2.1 and there was no guarantee that it would work with 2.2 or 2.3 or even if it did, when the phone would actually get the release. With the iPhone at least you know that 4.1, 4.2, etc will work on the phone and the day that it's released is the day you get it. That alone really sold me on the iPhone 4 (went from a 3G to a 4).

if they come out with a different version of OS for the galaxy it wont work? why would any manufacture do that?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
No thanks, I am not into turning on my phone and watching a little blue circle go round and round and round...j/k.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
if they come out with a different version of OS for the galaxy it wont work? why would any manufacture do that?
Google comes out with a new version of Andriod and from what I was reading about going to later versions it's hit or miss whether the manufacturer would customize that version to allow it to run on their phones (i.e. 2.3 Gingerbread...I think that was the name).
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i see. thanks for the info meelapo, another thing to take into consideration
Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I owned and returned a Galaxy S Vibrant. IMO it is a half baked piece of garbage. Couldn't even sync music with the phone, it kept going into a reboot loop.

I went and bought an unlocked iPhone 4. It was double the price, but worth every penny. It just works, and I have yet in a month to be disappointed by it.

BTW, the screen on the iPhone4 blows the doors of the Galaxy S. Samsung used some deceptive advertising calling it an OLED screen. From what I have read, OLED is a grey area, whereas there is a great variance in quality from one OLED to another.

Anyways, the Galaxy S looks great on movies, but web surfing, not so much. As soon as you zoom in, you get pixilated quick.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I would comment on Blackberry, but their tech is like 4 years old. Wow a poor Webkit browser, what is this 2007?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I owned and returned a Galaxy S Vibrant. IMO it is a half baked piece of garbage. Couldn't even sync music with the phone, it kept going into a reboot loop.

I went and bought an unlocked iPhone 4. It was double the price, but worth every penny. It just works, and I have yet in a month to be disappointed by it.

BTW, the screen on the iPhone4 blows the doors of the Galaxy S. Samsung used some deceptive advertising calling it an OLED screen. From what I have read, OLED is a grey area, whereas there is a great variance in quality from one OLED to another.

Anyways, the Galaxy S looks great on movies, but web surfing, not so much. As soon as you zoom in, you get pixilated quick.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I would comment on Blackberry, but their tech is like 4 years old. Wow a poor Webkit browser, what is this 2007?
Sounds like you had a defective unit.

Also, how far do you zoom in? You would have to zoom in really close to see any pixelation of text.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am currently torn between the Galaxy S and the HTC Desire HD. The Desire HD appeals to me because of the UI and because the specs are generally a bit better than the Galaxy, but the HD doesn't have that front facing camera that the Galaxy has.

Anyone else have thoughts/experiences to share in comparing the Galaxy with the Desire HD?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One more thing to also note is that the Galaxy S is a very light device. If you want a bit of weight in your electronic devices you might want to go out and hold this phone before making a decision. It's a weird but the lightness factor of the phone, which sounds good, isn't a really good feeling. Makes it feel kind of cheap, to me at least.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
Sounds like you had a defective unit.

Also, how far do you zoom in? You would have to zoom in really close to see any pixelation of text.
I played with a Galaxy S in store and the text definitely looked pixellated compared to my iPhone 4. Or did they just have a defective unit as a floor model?
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I thought you weren't allowed to return smart phones?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I thought it was Super AMOLED, but I guess at this point the naming doesn't matter. I read plenty of articles where the screens were considered fairly similar in quality, so it's surprising to hear you say this.