Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CPHL'ers in the NHL - Surprised, Disappointed or Met Expectations?

I'm not sure how many other folks followed NHL's training camps closely...I don't like Pre-Season but I'm fascinated by the stories that come out of them.

I made a conscious focus last year to trade for guys that I hoped would take a step up this year.

There can also be a butterfly effect on the CPHL squad, a prime example being Jean-Francois Berube (I just got dumb-ass lucky on this one)

Here are the results of the notable guys:

SURPRISED (In a good way)

Jarnkrok - Looks like he'll be starting the season as a Top 6 winger. Got lots of praise from Laviolette and will get more chance to produce.

Prince - I thought he'd have an outside chance making the Sens, but for now he's on the team. Still in a battle with Puempel until MacArthur comes back, but has the edge since Prince is waiver eligible.

Josefson - Figured he'd be a 3rd line centre, but has played well enough to be starting as 2nd line centre.

Tyler Randell - Random signing, looks like he has made the 4th line. Not an amazing player, but a cheap 4th liner is always good to have...means I don't need to worry about Free Agency as much.

Oscar Lindberg - Wasn't sure he'd make the roster, let alone be penciled in to start as 3rd line centre. Great training camp, hopefully it continues.

Jean-Francois Berube - Shows how quickly things can change. Went from being stuck behind Quick to being picked up by the Isles on waivers since the Lightning claimed Poulin...and now it looks like he is the backup.

Slater Koekkoek - He has made a fairly deep Lightning squad. I was hoping he'd make it, but didn't know. He was steady and should hopefully establish himself as a Top 4 guy sooner than later.

Gustav Olofsson - Didn't make the Wild, but sounds like he was a standout in Camp and is likely higher on the Wild defensive depth chart now.

Brandon Bollig - Was a bit disappointed with his play last year outside of playoffs, but this pre-season he has impressed. Maybe he can put up a few points and push for 3rd line ratings.

DISAPPOINTED

Derrick Pouliot - WTF. He craps the bed so bad in pre-season that he gets demoted to the AHL. Love the move from the coach...prove to me that you belong here. Fascinated to see what happens here.

Vincent Lecavalier - Some might think this should have been expected, but I am pretty surprised he is a healthy scratch already. Man has his career gone downhill quickly.

Mark McNeill - Was hoping he'd find a way to make the Hawks after a strong season last year in the AHL. Hoping he can light it up and earn a call-up.

Calvin Pickard - Not completely surprised given Berra's contract in the NHL, but sounds like he was very good in pre-season. I'll have to be patient with him, we'll see if the Avs can be as well. His next 1-year contract this summer will be intriguing.

Stuart Percy - Thought he'd have a chance to make a weak Leafs squad. Seems he played well but was outplayed by Scott Harrington...will see how his year goes!

MET EXPECTATIONS

Cam Ward - My biggest risk move of the off-season, and it looks like he has solidifed (for now) the starting goaltender's position. I figured Lack wouldn't beat him, but Lack made a strong push and will give the Canes' a strong 1a/1b tandem.

Brett Connolly - Became a bigger risk with Anisimov getting moved to the Hawks, but looks like he has settled in on the 3rd line where I figured he'd end up and scored a few times in pre-season. Hoping for a 20g year...will see.

Who were you Surprised or Disappointed by?

Last edited by simmer2; 10-06-2015 at 01:37 PM.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised (well, not really)
Phil Kessel

Disappointed (well, not really)
Slava Voinov
Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

only speaking about prospects/AHLers:

SURPRISED (In a good way)

Andrew Copp (F)
made his NHL debut against the Flames late last season and has now made the Jets roster out of camp. Will probably be a bottom-six center for them going forward, let's see if he can stay up permanently.

Tyler Graovac (F)
has made the Wild roster out of camp. Will probably be a 3rd/4th line center for them until Fontaine comes back from his injury. Had a good first NHL stint last year, let's see if he can stick full-time.

Borna Rendulic (F)
has made the Avalanche roster, somewhat surprisingly over fellow CPHL Leaf Dennis Everberg. Will probably be a bottom-six winger for them to start the season.

Vince Hinostroza (F)
didn't make the Blackhawks roster, but seemingly had a very good camp. He was one of the last cuts and many fans there think he'll be one of the first call-up options.

Colton Parayko (D)
had an immediate impact in the AHL after turning pro in the spring and has now made the Blues team out of camp. I have very high hopes for Parayko, but thought he'd start the season in the AHL.

Brandon Manning (D)
has surprisingly made the Flyers opening night roster after they waived Andrew MacDonald yesterday. Will probably be a bottom-pairing/7th defenseman for them this season.

Andrew Mangiapane (F) & Rasmus Andersson (D)
as expected, neither of them made the Flames roster, but both had very good camps (especially Andersson). Will be fun to track the Barrie Colts this season (they also have another CPHL Leaf on their roster: Julius Nattinen).

DISAPPOINTED

Marko Dano (F)
had a fantastic rookie season and I hoped he'd make the Blackhawks roster after getting traded there, but he was among the last cuts. Hopefully he has a good start in the AHL so that he's back in the NHL as soon as possible.

Dennis Everberg (F)
I thought he'd make the Avs roster, but he was the last cut today and lost out to fellow CPHL Leaf Borna Rendulic, probably because he has only 5 games left before he has to clear waivers. Hopefully he's recalled soon.

Jeremy Morin (F)
another AHL stint for Morin, he just can't stick in the big league it seems. Was always difficult to make the Blackhawks roster though.

Taylor Fedun (D)
not close to making the Canucks team. Disappointing.

MET EXPECTATIONS

Jakub Nakladal (D)
always expected him to start the season in the AHL, but he should be one of the first call-up options.

Tanner Kero (F), Jonny Brodzinski (F), Chase de Leo (F), Nikita Soshnikov (F), Kristian Näkyvä (D) & Adam Wilcox (G)
all of those have only recently gone pro or come over to North America, so them being assigned to AHL was not surprising.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering I ditched most of my older prospects for picks in this past draft, I don't really have either disappointments or surprises. Panarin is doing great though thus far. Hoping he has a great season in Chicago.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coyotes prospects/AHLers:

Good Stories

William Karlsson
Starting the year with the Blue Jackets, had a strong preseason.

Oskar Sundqvist
Was recently recalled by the Penguins and looks to be starting the season in NHL

Chris Wagner
Remains on the 23 man roster with the Ducks, will be interesting to see if he remains.

Reid Boucher
Finished last year with the Devils, remains on the 23 man roster.

Jamie Oleksiak
Will start the season with the Dallas Stars

Zach Trotman
Will start the season with the Boston Bruins

Curtis Lazar
Had a good year with the Senators, should play a larger role this season

Robby Fabbri
Robby made the Blues roster, Fabbri will be an interesting rookie to watch.

Close but were re-assigned

Ryan Hartman
Hawks are a deep team, Ryan was a late cut. Will start the season in AHL.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no clue how my boys played, didn't get to see a lot of preseason games and i find media isn't worth reading these days... journalism has gone to the dumps, no longer know which journalist to read/trust
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: