Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #421
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What does SPULLLLL mean???
Paul Byron's nickname: "Small Paul"
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #422
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand the arguing about Byron. I thought almost all Flames fans would have agreed he was underrated and provided great value for his contract. His style of play was hugely entertaining. Is he a 3rd or 4th line player on a championship team? I would argue maybe so. He is a great penalty killer and possession player for 3 on 3. At such a low salary, he allows you to pay for more stars. Is Byron at his salary a better use of the cap than Stajan, Jones or Raymond and their respective salaries? I would say yes.

In any case, I have not read a single post saying this is the end of the world or that its some colossal mistake,. I do see several posters wishing we had found a way to keep him. I am in that camp.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #423
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I really don't understand the arguing about Byron. I thought almost all Flames fans would have agreed he was underrated and provided great value for his contract. His style of play was hugely entertaining. Is he a 3rd or 4th line player on a championship team? I would argue maybe so. He is a great penalty killer and possession player for 3 on 3. At such a low salary, he allows you to pay for more stars. Is Byron at his salary a better use of the cap than Stajan, Jones or Raymond and their respective salaries? I would say yes.

In any case, I have not read a single post saying this is the end of the world or that its some colossal mistake,. I do see several posters wishing we had found a way to keep him. I am in that camp.
Exactly. His greatest value is what he brings vs what we had to pay for him because of his small stature. As the large increase in salaries comes for many of the younger players, his value only increases with time.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #424
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Exactly. His greatest value is what he brings vs what we had to pay for him because of his small stature. As the large increase in salaries comes for many of the younger players, his value only increases with time.
If we miss him that bad we should be able to trade a 7th for him (or pick him up (or a player like him in the offseason) for nothing.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #425
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Paul Byron and sucks that we lost him on waiver claim. I am happy for him though that he'll be playing somewhere in the East. He is a good player but he is gone because of the numbers game. He's been injured a lot lately and Flames have some new young guys coming in. Raymond and Shore I don't really care for.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #426
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With Byron gone, is that the last remaining connection to Robyn Regehr removed from the Flames organization?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #427
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
With Byron gone, is that the last remaining connection to Robyn Regehr removed from the Flames organization?

Yeah, and the last of Theo Fleury.