Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default USA Hockey introduces 'icing on PK" rule for 14 year olds and younger

Always thought something like this would gain more traction in the upcoming years:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/br...YGO/story.html

Quote:
That a team guilty of taking a penalty is then granted a green light to ice the puck is the definition of preposterous.

“How often in sports,” asked Ken Martel, technical director of USA Hockey’s American Development Model, “do you actually change your normal playing rules to benefit the team that was penalized?”

To that end, USA Hockey has introduced a new rule for players 14 and younger for 2017-18. Penalty-killing teams will no longer be free to slingshot the puck down the river. Referees will call icing on shorthanded teams, just as they do during even-strength play. Upon an icing, the faceoff will take place in the defensive zone, giving power plays another chance to try a set piece off the draw.

The aim is to encourage U-14 players to read opposing power-play setups, think about what to do, and execute skilled plays: a D-to-D pass, a soft chip off the boards, or a floater to a streaking teammate. It is a far better thing to hold on to the puck than give it away, even if a 200-foot clear allows players to get off for changes.

“We want our kids to play with and handle the puck,” Martel said. “Puck possession is a big thing in our sport. We don’t like to see rules that encourage kids to blindly grab it and throw it away. You work pretty hard to get it. This rule actually encourages that. You listen to the anxiety that sometimes parents and coaches create from the stands, whether it’s, ‘Get it out,’ ‘Get it deep,’ ‘Ice it.’ Players’ first instinct when they get ahold of the puck is to get the head up and perceive what’s going on around them. The [old] rule doesn’t necessarily encourage that.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

hmmm i don't think 4 players can execute skilled plays against 5 players. Maybe at 14 year old level but not at professional level.

i would just ice the puck 10 times. get rest while they bring the puck back.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So stupid on every level.

As a coach I wouldn't give a crap if its just an icing call, especially if I have a good face off center on the penalty kill.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting concept - prol need add a caveat saying you can only ice the puck twice before you get another penalty.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homeslice For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I have always thought the NHL should look into doing this, but all the potential icings would slow down the game a lot. Maybe penalize the PK team if they have more than 2 icings during one PK.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great idea! I would love to see this tried in the AHL. I have always thought the no icing during PK was a dumb idea and anything that forces the defending team to make low percentage plays will result in more goals and higher skilled players.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Great idea! I would love to see this tried in the AHL. I have always thought the no icing during PK was a dumb idea and anything that forces the defending team to make low percentage plays will result in more goals and higher skilled players.
yes but then NHL reffing would need to be better. It was a disaster last year and while goals are nice and all, undeserved PP goals would be annoying.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This could add 15-20 real minutes to a game in certain instances. Games are far to long already.

It would really penalize a good PK as well.

Dont see this working well at the pro level at all.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Interesting concept - prol need add a caveat saying you can only ice the puck twice before you get another penalty.
Would you add that stipulation/rule to regular play, 5 on 5, as well? I say, let them dump it down whenever they feel like it and try to win the face off.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it although it will slow down the game as teams will still ice the puck out of desperation so I feel this would need to be tested thoroughly. Now that I think about it it is kind of weird that the icing rule changes to the benefit of the team shorthanded. May cut down on the delay of game penalties by players just trying to aimlessly chip it around the boards on a typical PK. Probably something you would want to introduce in the ECHL or AHL for a few seasons before implementing into the NHL.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I have always thought the NHL should look into doing this, but all the potential icings would slow down the game a lot. Maybe penalize the PK team if they have more than 2 icings during one PK.
It'll be horrible and they'll eventually see that. I'm glad it's being done at this level, so everyone else can see that it will clearly lead to a million icing calls, and completely kill the excitement of a powerplay for fans.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's the job of the PP team to keep control of the puck and to keep the cycle flowing in the offensive zone. If the team being penalized breaks up that cycle and sends the puck back to the awarded teams' zone, then they are executing their job correctly. The PP team would be performing their job poorly. Being shorthanded is penalty enough.

We've seen both dominant PP's and PK's. There's nothing broken about it at the pro level.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son plays Bantam here in the US so I guess i will see this in action this year.

I 100% agree with the concept ,as many times at this level of hockey you see kids sling it down the ice despite having ample time and space around them to make a play. They are not coached to do that but Im sure its from watching the pros and of course parents screaming from the stands to "ice it" the second they touch the puck shorthanded.

I am worried how its going to slow the game down though. Let's face it, whether it results in icing or the other bream retreating to get the puck, shooting the puck the length of the ice is the most boring play in hockey. But a face-off is not much of a deterrent.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It might backfire. This gives your best penalty killers another 30 seconds of rest by icing the puck. This will be especially true when your team has the long change in the 2nd period as icing the puck does not guarantee that you'll be able to get a line change but with this rule, you'll at leaat get that rest. Then you will see "equipment adjustments" and "injuries" occur to further cause delays.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

just get rid of 2 minute penalties and award penalty shots for minor infractions, and 5-min PPs for major infractions.

Then start calling all the slashes to the wrists, and see how quickly the players stop doing it.

Edit: Also, let the team taking the penalty shot choose who gets to shoot or we'll get "Hack-a-Shaq" 2.0.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default USA Hockey introduces 'icing on PK" rule for 14 year olds and younger

I don't think the solution is to put even more of the game in the hands of the NHL's officiating crews. They already have a really hard time not exerting their influence on games as it is, introducing draconian rules will not make them actually call the rule book.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #17
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems like they're trying to achieve two separate goals with this strategy:

(1) Emphasize skilled play (as Strange Brew points out)

(2) Solve a perceived advantage given to the penalized team.

I'm not sure this change will achieve goal (1), though I like the overall focus on skill development for kids.

As for goal (2), if "rewarding" the PK team is that much of a concern, I'd suggest that a better strategy would be to go back to the old PP system where the penalized player serves the full penalty no matter how many PP goals are scored.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would prefer it if they didn't call the icing because it will cause too many delays.

But maybe something like adding 10 or 15 seconds to the PP every time the penalized team ices the puck would be enough to curb it. You could still keep the play going.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess you could change face offs after icing so it's not 50/50. Make it more like possession.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it. Punishes penalty-takers more for being undisciplined.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote