Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Exclamation Help! - Cat Urinating on Floor

I have a 4-5 year old male tuxedo cat that has developed an annoying habit of pissing on my living room floor. He only goes in specific places, most notably where his people sit (a reclining chair and at the ends of the sofa). It is not spraying or marking, he just backs up and drops a load of piss CONSTANTLY in these spots.

He is an indoor cat. Most times it is preceded with pacing, meowing, and scratching at the door, but not always. If I put him outside it stays the issue, but once he comes back in he gets right back to it and then does the deed.

He has a history of bladder issues (crystallization) and has been treated for such. We've about tried everything suggested by the interwebz and our vet:

-Thoroughly cleaning the area, enzymes and all
-Specialized calming food, felliway sprays
-New toys, old toys
-New or multiple litter boxes, changing cat litter, relocating litter box
-"Cat prozac"
-Vitamin B shots

However, he has not ceased the behavior. I'm not sure if I can stand to step in another puddle of urine or find one stale and wreaking in the corner.

I would prefer not to surrender the cat as it is unlikely he will be adopted, especially if he hasn't been cured of this issue. So I now turn to the CP community of cat cohabitants to see if there is another solution.

He is actually a very sweet natured and playful buddy, so yes, I am willing to invest in whatever it takes to correct this cat's behavior.

Thanks in advance.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help! - Cat Urinating on Floor

So he doesn't sniff the area before he does the deed?

My cat had a similar issue. I sprinkled cayenne pepper in the area, (or maybe it was paprika) and some of that scented powder you put on upholstery and rugs .

Solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 07-24-2017 at 05:39 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he neutered?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

My male cat does it from time to time, but it's not usually in the same spot. Instead it's on similar things.
I can't leave fabric of any type laying on the floor, or he'll inevitably pee on it. Clothes, sheets, reusable fabric grocery bags.

So maybe it's not where, but instead what? I guess you can't just buy all new couches/chairs and hope he's not going to do it though.
Definitely a tough situation when they're part of the family.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help! - Cat Urinating on Floor

http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/

A few interesting things here.

I couldn't get the link to the exact page.

There's a search thing , just look for "cat urine" under c.

Perhaps he's trying to get your attention ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 07-24-2017 at 05:38 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had this with my lovable doofus of a cat.

He sounds a lot like your cat - issues with crystalization and much of the same behavior.

We never determined precisely what it was that caught this but with our vet's (expensive) help we figured out:

- he had diabetes which was making him pee more. With crystals it could have been painful. The solution - address diabetes with insulin and special food.

- he also appeared to have some sort of infection which again could have been causing pain. Solution - antibiotic pills.

- we have two cats so we made sure both litter boxes were scooped daily. We might have gone from 1 giant box to 2 medium ones to make sure they each had their "own" one.

It got so bad that eventually we had to lock him in the tiled bathroom downstairs to stop damage to the laminate until the antibiotics kicked in. He was one miserable cat.

TLDR - $40 cat from SPCA cost way too much to addressing peeing problem.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

About 5 months ago our cat started peeing on our shoes. Usually ones in the same spot.

A quick Google search determined it was stress; although I take Dr. Google with a grain of salt, so I took our quirky and fun little girl (4 years old) to the vet and after going on a few changes in the household:

- moved her litter box
- introduced a baby into the house
- generally peed after the baby would cry/fuss

The vet quickly agreed it was stress. We added another litterbox where she was peeing on our shoes, and changed her food to a stress reducing food. And increased play time.

Now she's back to her old self.

I'm no vet, nor do I know the situation exactly, but for us it was stress.

Although the diabetes posts seem to make sense too.

Regardless, go see a vet. They're the best people to talk to about this, they're literally experts

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Step 1: Put cat down

Step 2: Buy a Dog
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried putting the litter box where he pee's? If he uses it, gradually move it back to where it belongs.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

What the #### is wrong with you?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you all for your input, suggestions, and support. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
So he doesn't sniff the area before he does the deed?
No sniffing pre-whiz. He does scan the area afterwards, but I am pretty adamant about cleaning and neutralizing the smell. Well, as best I can on laminate hardwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Is he neutered?
Yes. Forgot to mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
My male cat does it from time to time, but it's not usually in the same spot. Instead it's on similar things.
I can't leave fabric of any type laying on the floor, or he'll inevitably pee on it. Clothes, sheets, reusable fabric grocery bags.

So maybe it's not where, but instead what? I guess you can't just buy all new couches/chairs and hope he's not going to do it though.
Definitely a tough situation when they're part of the family.
For sure. And he doesn't seem to urinate on the fabric, just on the floor. He did have this issue with a different furniture set a few years ago, but after he recovered from his urinary issues the behavior went away.

Not this time, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

He sounds a lot like your cat - issues with crystalization and much of the same behavior.

Yes, this most recent spat he also had a bladder infection, which we cured with antibiotics. Wow, was it ever fun to shoot that crap down his throat for 10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
About 5 months ago our cat started peeing on our shoes. Usually ones in the same spot.

The vet quickly agreed it was stress. We added another litterbox where she was peeing on our shoes, and changed her food to a stress reducing food. And increased play time.

Now she's back to her old self.

I'm no vet, nor do I know the situation exactly, but for us it was stress.

Although the diabetes posts seem to make sense too.

Regardless, go see a vet. They're the best people to talk to about this, they're literally experts
We have been to the vet several times. They prescribed "cat prozac", which was more stressful to the cat than anything (it was so bitter that he would salivate heavily after each dosage, and he struggled something fierce when he knew a dose was on the way). Vet also gave a 3 series treatment of Vitamin B shots that was supposed to make him feel better. Maybe he does, but he's still pissing.

It's certainly stress related, but I don't know what else I can try to eliminate that stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you tried putting the litter box where he pee's? If he uses it, gradually move it back to where it belongs.
Sorta tried that. Since he pees directly under the footrests of the recliners there wasn't really a way to put it directly where he goes. Instead we put it near and in the room, then eventually moved back to the normal place.

Didn't help.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 07-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

our cat, rocky, will poop on the bathroom floor close to his litterbox 9/10. on the 10th time he will do it in the box. thankfully the littler box in in our basement bathroom where the floor is tiled.

we have tried everything from different litter, stuff to maike the litter more attractive to him (some kind of powder), we clean the floor with the enzyme cleaner, we have move the litter box to wehere he poops on the floor, tried tin foil on the floor........stupid $%^&*() cat
Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

We never determined precisely what it was that caught this but with our vet's (expensive) help we figured out:

- he had diabetes which was making him pee more. With crystals it could have been painful. The solution - address diabetes with insulin and special food.

- he also appeared to have some sort of infection which again could have been causing pain. Solution - antibiotic pills.

- we have two cats so we made sure both litter boxes were scooped daily. We might have gone from 1 giant box to 2 medium ones to make sure they each had their "own" one.

It got so bad that eventually we had to lock him in the tiled bathroom downstairs to stop damage to the laminate until the antibiotics kicked in. He was one miserable cat.

Diabetes was the issue with my cat
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #14
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure that his most recent bloodwork showed that he doesn't have diabetes, but I think I will follow-up with the vet tomorrow to make sure.

What makes me think it's otherwise is that it comes after patterned behavior, which seems like stress.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #15
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Diabetes was an issue for our older cat and peeing.

When we recently got kittens and before they were fully trained would pee in a couple different corners. We placed orange peels in those corners and the cats avoided them. Didn't like the smell I guess.

Last edited by KTrain; 07-24-2017 at 09:56 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #16
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

Don't cut yourself with all that edge.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #17
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I have a 4-5 year old male tuxedo cat that has developed an annoying habit of pissing on my living room floor. He only goes in specific places, most notably where his people sit (a reclining chair and at the ends of the sofa). It is not spraying or marking, he just backs up and drops a load of piss CONSTANTLY in these spots.

He is an indoor cat. Most times it is preceded with pacing, meowing, and scratching at the door, but not always. If I put him outside it stays the issue, but once he comes back in he gets right back to it and then does the deed.

He has a history of bladder issues (crystallization) and has been treated for such. We've about tried everything suggested by the interwebz and our vet:

-Thoroughly cleaning the area, enzymes and all
-Specialized calming food, felliway sprays
-New toys, old toys
-New or multiple litter boxes, changing cat litter, relocating litter box
-"Cat prozac"
-Vitamin B shots

However, he has not ceased the behavior. I'm not sure if I can stand to step in another puddle of urine or find one stale and wreaking in the corner.

I would prefer not to surrender the cat as it is unlikely he will be adopted, especially if he hasn't been cured of this issue. So I now turn to the CP community of cat cohabitants to see if there is another solution.

He is actually a very sweet natured and playful buddy, so yes, I am willing to invest in whatever it takes to correct this cat's behavior.

Thanks in advance.
so you've recently gone to the vet and he didn't have a recurrence of the crystallization problem?

what's the diet of your cat? I have a cat that also has a history of the crystallizing urine.
over time we went from the special food for that issue to a mix of regular and the special stuff.

once we saw the vet again and had the issue cleared up, we went 100% with C/D health for urinary care. and we haven't had a problem since.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #18
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
our cat, rocky, will poop on the bathroom floor close to his litterbox 9/10. on the 10th time he will do it in the box. thankfully the littler box in in our basement bathroom where the floor is tiled.

we have tried everything from different litter, stuff to maike the litter more attractive to him (some kind of powder), we clean the floor with the enzyme cleaner, we have move the litter box to wehere he poops on the floor, tried tin foil on the floor........stupid $%^&*() cat
Same thing. She ####s all around the litterbox. Never in it. We've tried everything.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some cats are just pure a55holes.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #20
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fight fire with fire, urinate on the cat.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post: