Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Link or source for that statement? I have a tough time believing that's been ruled out so early.
I don't. If the police found and spoke with the mother, and she had an alibi, etc. Sure, we can "hope" that the mother did something out of a police drama and hired a hitman. But in that case, all logic suggests the mom would want to get to her daughter ASAP. It wouldn't a case of "I'll give you $10,000 to murder my husband and hide the child for a few days/weeks until the heat drops off me."
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #22
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I don't. If the police found and spoke with the mother, and she had an alibi, etc. Sure, we can "hope" that the mother did something out of a police drama and hired a hitman. But in that case, all logic suggests the mom would want to get to her daughter ASAP. It wouldn't a case of "I'll give you $10,000 to murder my husband and hide the child for a few days/weeks until the heat drops off me."
The Ryan Lane case in Calgary from 2012 was essentially a child custody dispute where he was killed over their shared child after a year long investigation.

Shannon Burgess was killed by her husband after he pleaded for assistance from the city in the spring after months of investigation.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that it's the mother. Furthermore, children taken by strangers or slight acquaintances represent only one-hundredth of 1 percent of all missing children.

My point is that for the RCMP to come out clearly and say that she has been cleared from any wrongdoing is a misquote or incredibly neglect.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't believe either the Lane case or the Burgess case involved kidnapping of a child, so those aren't exactly comparables. As to the rest, I suspect RCMP investigators know more than you do, so if they have come out and cleared the mother, I'm inclined to believe them.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #24
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I don't believe either the Lane case or the Burgess case involved kidnapping of a child, so those aren't exactly comparables. As to the rest, I suspect RCMP investigators know more than you do, so if they have come out and cleared the mother, I'm inclined to believe them.
Once again, my request is to see the source or the quote that they've cleared the mother. No one has been able to produce that so I'll presume either that someone misheard/misquoted them or they are referencing the quote that the child is not with the mother.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #25
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I think the only thing I've read days that she is definitely not with the mother
I remember hearing the mother was not considered a suspect at this time, and I want to leave it at that. Besides, I'm pretty sure the mother wouldn't be speaking to the media if she hired someone to kill the father. It's very atypical, and I'm sure if she was acting like she had something to do with the disappearance, the Police would be grilling her, and even dropping hints to the media.

Having said that, I sure hope the child is alive. If it indeed was a stranger abduction, I cannot ever recall a case where the parent was murdered to abduct the child. Strangers tend to abduct children at a place they are most vulnerable, not be so brazen as to walk into their home. I pray she is found safe.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #26
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I remember hearing the mother was not considered a suspect at this time, and I want to leave it at that. Besides, I'm pretty sure the mother wouldn't be speaking to the media if she hired someone to kill the father. It's very atypical, and I'm sure if she was acting like she had something to do with the disappearance, the Police would be grilling her, and even dropping hints to the media.

Having said that, I sure hope the child is alive. If it indeed was a stranger abduction, I cannot ever recall a case where the parent was murdered to abduct the child. Strangers tend to abduct children at a place they are most vulnerable, not be so brazen as to walk into their home. I pray she is found safe.
Ok I feel like a broken record. Where has the mother spoken to the media? The only thing I've seen is her public Facebook posts and her not getting back to any media outlets.

There has been countless circumstances in the states where family members have been front and center with the media and searching for missing children/wives/etc and have later been charged and convicted of killing them. It's happened before.

Furthermore, asking for posters to quote or source their info shouldn't be taking as anything personal. There is an incredible amount of misinformation that makes its way around and asking for clarification and a link isn't an unreasonable request.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #27
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know about that part, it seems like bad police work.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point is that for the RCMP to come out clearly and say that she has been cleared from any wrongdoing is a misquote or incredibly neglect.
Or perhaps to give a false sense of comfort to a suspect?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #29
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Police use that as an investigation technique all the time. Like the above poster said they give the suspect comfort that they aren't being investigated so they are more inclined to be relaxed and slip up.

Not a chance anyone has been cleared so early.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Furthermore, asking for posters to quote or source their info shouldn't be taking as anything personal. There is an incredible amount of misinformation that makes its way around and asking for clarification and a link isn't an unreasonable request.
Quest que cest?

I never took it as anything personal.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #31
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Police use that as an investigation technique all the time. Like the above poster said they give the suspect comfort that they aren't being investigated so they are more inclined to be relaxed and slip up.
Not so sure about that. I recall watching a documentary about Susan Smith (woman who killed her two boys in the US, not the singer). The Police were constantly interrogating her, and playing "Good cop, bad cop" until she finally cracked. I guess it depends on the circumstances.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its been nearly a day now, I don't feel good about this.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #33
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The most likely reason the child was abducted is because she knew the perpetrator well enough to identify them. A random stranger or someone only known to the father wouldn't have to worry about an effective description being elicited from the child. This assumes they acted and still are acting somewhat rationally. And of course the police are considering this line of thought better than I or we can.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #34
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
The most likely reason the child was abducted is because she knew the perpetrator well enough to identify them. A random stranger or someone only known to the father wouldn't have to worry about an effective description being elicited from the child. This assumes they acted and still are acting somewhat rationally. And of course the police are considering this line of thought better than I or we can.
Excuse my ignorance, but would a two year old actually be able to do that?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #35
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but would a two year old actually be able to do that?

Would a two yr old be able to recognize someone they knew.

My recollection is that at 2 my kids could recognize people they knew.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #36
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Hey look.

CP decided to dig up their season 3 CSI:Miami box sets again.

I am sure the professional police people know what they are doing.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #37
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quest que cest?

I never took it as anything personal.
Sorry it was more directed in general then towards you.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #38
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Hey look.

CP decided to dig up their season 3 CSI:Miami box sets again.

I am sure the professional police people know what they are doing.
Well you know...being a member of CP and a "professional police person" are not mutually exclusive...
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #39
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did anyone else hear a mention on the dinnertime news last night that the girl and her father lived with the father's dad? It was a bit of a throw away comment, but it hasn't been mentioned since. Really hope the grandpa doesn't have anything to do with it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #40
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, allegedly there is a residence in Coleman, AB (a few miles away) which currently has a large RCMP presence around it that the media (at least Global Calgary) believes is related to the missing girl.