Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #521
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it a lot again, I've gotten away from the modifications on the workouts that I'm doing with the exception of the whole getting the legs off the floor and straight out in front of you in Core.

I'm doing 5 to 6 days a week, last week I did 5 and on Wednesday I walked about 15,000 steps at Stampede, without eating much junk so I pretty much counted that as a workout day as well .

I've mentioned before that I've had a lot of pain in my ankles, but here's the funny thing, I woke up on Saturday, and I didn't even really realize that they didn't hurt anymore.

tonight after work, its fat burner, I was watching the AJ Styles video, which is a great watch because he used it as rehab, and he mentioned how sneaky it is as a workout, that its not that hard to do but it gets your heart rate to 150 so its a solid cardio workout. Well I did Fatburner on Saturday morning and really focused on the technique and trying to slow things down a bit and sure enough, my heart rate hit 151 from ignition to cool down.

Overall, I really restarted near the end of may, but went from 3 nights a week with Energy and the Diamond dozen to now doing 3 fb and 3 energy a week with Core thrown in.

Last time what was really tough was when I jumped to below the belt for example and all I was doing was falling down. But rewatching some videos makes me think that I missed the point, all of these guys fall down a lot doing it, and then you slowly get better at it.

I mean even with energy and core when your doing the runners lunge and you twist open, I was always dropping to a knee, now not so much but its still about balance.

I know I know, I'm sounding like s shill, but I can assure you that I'm not getting one red cent from this . I can also tell you that I'm not a full adherent, I should really be following the food plan, but I'm right now more about monitoring my intake and making sure I'm getting all of my fruits and veggies and trying to eat more lean protein.

But like I said, the results are speaking for themselves.

my rested heart rate is at 60, some days at 59.

I've dropped a little over 30 pounds, and a few inches off of my waist line.

I sleep way better

The ankle and knee pain isn't unbearable anymore and my walking gait has improved.

Some crazy things in terms of strength with the CT pushups and the Squats. Just in terms of being able to do them now, especially the deep squats.

The things that I really love.

When you fold forward and you hear the popping in your back, that's the little thing that makes you happy.

when you get done the workout and your still kind of jacked, but your joints feel like someone has poured Oil into them, those things are the make me happy.

With football starting up in a couple of weeks, the nice thing is on average during a two hour practice, I'll stack on 8 to 10,000 steps. Last year at the end of practice it was pretty much misery, my ankles and knee's both flaired up. But now I'm looking forward to it.

Will I bump up to the next workouts, I might, but I'm still getting satisfaction out of what I'm doing.

With Energy, my heart rate is still going into the 120 range, down from when I started and I was hitting 138. But now energy is just about re-enforcing and moving and getting a good stretch on.

With Fat Burner, like I said its still a bit punishing, but the other thing is that I'm getting through to the first safety zone which those that have done it is a long ways through without stopping. I might still need to take a few second pause at that safety zone, but for the most part the only advanced move I'm not doing is the 3 legged dog, sweep to runners lunge, but I'm going to do that tonight.

Anyways, I'm blathering on, but I think that this program has real benefits for people that might not be able to do some of the more extreme and crazy workouts, don't have the time or the interest, or even the self confidence to go to the gym for an hour and ride a bike for 20 or 30 or 40 minutes. Or run on a treadmill.

You can certainly built to those points if you want.

I know I'm not going to get super cut doing this, but that's not my goal or my point, I'm obviously looking at dropping weight, getting strength back and basically healing old wounds. Plus there is a zen like quality to doing, you can just go into whatever room your going to workout in, and just focus on the movements.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #522
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just to add on and keep the bounce going.

My rested heart rate is at 58 which is awesome to me, I have lost a total of 36 pounds, and that's just with the Yoga, I'm not really following the diet in the new guide, but I am eating healthier, I'm also not snacking at night (ok, that's a lie last night I had a couple of delicious oatmeal cookies).

My ankles feel great, no pain except in the morning when I first get up, there's some stiffness but I work it out.

I love the idea of folding forward and getting my knuckles on the mat. I can now go fully down on the Diamond catchers.

I did a fat burner this morning, and now I'm doing my house cleaning. But I burned 300 cals in about 25 minutes or working out.

I got my heart rate up to about 138 at its height while it was at 158 when I first started.

I can clearly see an improved flexibility in terms of cannon ball, and in terms of being able to do modified crunches.

BTW on the new set there's a new workout that's called Core + which is about 3 minutes longer then the original red hot core and a lot harder. There's also a beginner beginner workout for those of you that might struggle with starting this. Its basically a teaching workout that uses chairs to support yourself. I went through it once just to make sure that I'm doing everything right.

This should go into the things that make me happy thread. But honestly after a workout when your just drenched, there's nothing happier then changing into a clean T-Shirt after a shower when you get done working out.

Its going to be tough with football starting on Monday, but I'm going to be walking a ton on the field and still doing three workouts a week, but at least I'm going to be able to walk without limping and wincing and getting a sore back which is a bonus.

Thanks for letting me indulge myself here, I think that part of keeping up a workout program or diet program is to really get excited about it, this thread allows me to do that.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go and clean up my bathroom

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-29-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #523
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I ordered it a few days ago, still waiting on delivery to start trying it out
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #524
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely View Post
I ordered it a few days ago, still waiting on delivery to start trying it out
You should get some access to the web portal, that can help you get going.

I think there are a few workouts on there and you can review the diamond dozen which teaches you breathing and some of the movement.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #525
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just got my shipment today going to try a video or two tonight
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Completely For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #526
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I did DDP Yoga for something like 12 - 18 months and then stopped doing it for the last 6 months. A couple of weeks ago my neck was really bothering me, went on like that for a couple of weeks - nothing helped, in fact it was getting worse with rest.
I decided to get back into DDPYoga and the first week did Energy 3 days and felt pretty good. THe next week I mixed in a Fat Burner with Energy and my neck was 100% better.
This week, I am doing mostly Fat Burner with an Energy worked in the middle of the week.
Not saying that the workout fixed my neck issues, but man I sure think it did alot of good.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 09:08 AM   #527
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The whole stretching out thing does help with things like neck issues and the such

During football season I don't really have a lot of time to workout like I do in the off season because basically 6 days a week I'm doing football stuff for 3 or 4 hours a day on top of work. But I do usually get the whole 10,000 steps per day and elevated heart rate, mostly from frustration

But our season finished up on Saturday, so I'm taking this week off just to relax and then its back to DDP.

I expect that I'll be starting with energy just to get the motions back, and then a week later combine energy and fat burner and then move on from there and see where I get to in the next 8 months til the season starts again

and hey

don't forget to do this tamorra.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #528
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I thought I would bump this, frankly since I last posted I hadn't done a lot of DDP, life got busy, then you get winter lazy, then you swear to get to it, but push it off.

But I decided to take advantage of my first vacation in years and get back into it. To provide motivation, I ordered a new set of DVD's since some of the originals, and also because there was a 2.0 attached to the marketing. I mean typical marketing gimmick right? Just add a 2.0 and get the rubes to spend the money.

Now before I go forward, the one thing that I want to point out is for the last year I've been eating a lot cleaner, I rarely eat red meats sticking to chicken a lot of veggies and either some pasta's without sauce or rice. On occassion I'll do a one day dinner cheat, but I was bound and determined to eat better to feel better, so going back through the recipes in the new book does give you some good ideas though I'm not going all the way organic.

Anyways, I decided to start out by skipping the new workout called beginner beginner which has its core in the Yoga for older people, though I'm old I'm not that old, and I skipped the diamond dozen because I remember the motions.

But I decided that this week I'm going to do a bunch of energy and throw in some red hot core, sorry Energy 2.0 and red hot core 2.0. I mean I doubt that they're very different right?

The first thing you notice when you jump into this thing is gone is the old semi cheesy looking sets, they've been replaced with a high tech set that includes a huge screen that shows the participants heart rates, the good thing about that is you can measure off your results versus there's. Also gone is cheesy DDP with the bangs and the cheesy one liners, while he isn't as serious as a heart attack (no pun intended) he has become fairly professional and matter of fact in how he describes things and interacts with the cast of people working out with him.

The other thing that you do notice is a change in the energy workout. the old energy 1.0 clocked in at 18 minutes, the new one is about 24 minutes long including cool down and it incorporates a couple of moves from the Fat Burner workout, it also adds new elements like walking the dog in down dog. He also has some really cool modifications to the safety zone which has you walking your hands to adjust your back. The other thing that you notice is on the tougher moves like holding the plank, taking legs off of the ground, and the space shuttle that you're taking longer in those positions.

Overall it feels like a different workout and at the end I was sweating with a heart rate in the 115 bpm area.

So what sucks returning. When I stopped doing this thing last year I had a pretty decent range of motion, that's gone right back to where it started. The ability to put your hands flat on the floor when you raised your leg off the ground or when you rolled down to a flat stretch now has me hanging an inch or two off of the floor. The cooldown where you sit cross legged and walked your hands forward, well I wasn't going that far forward.

I guess I left partially because I lost my motivation, I was going through stuff that was grinding me down and forgot that not only is DDP Yoga a good workout, but its mentally healthy for you and allows you to take that 20 or 30 minutes a day and just zone out and focus on doing the workout the right way.

Personally I'm not looking forward to doing Red Hot Core 2.0 because I just hated a lot of elements of Red Hot Core 1.0 , not because they're bad, but because core workouts tend to just plain suck.

My schedule for this week

Monday Energy
Tuesday Energy
Wednesday Energy redhot core
Thursday Energy
Friday Energy Red Hot Core
Saturday Energy
Sunday break

Then next week I'll change some energy for Fat Burner and go from there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #529
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been dabbling with DDPY recently. Only getting in one per week or so. Then I did it. I injured my back, AGAIN! However, this time? I toyed around with some DDPY moves. I did a lot of cobra, cat lift and cat arch and a lot of diamond cutters. My wife is a physiotherapist so she was working on me to get me better quickly too. Record recovery time!

So I slowly got back into it. One per week and mostly because I've been busy getting the yard ready for summer (leveling the ground for an above ground pool for the kids, and removing overgrown bushes to make up for lost space). That was a bit worrysome to start having just recovered from a bad back that may not have been 100% yet. I survived.

We had two nephews staying with us last week so I was simply too exhausted to workout aside from my weekly game of ball hockey.

Last night I reset.

I did Fat Burner 1.0 and I rocked it. My 10 year old son decided to do it with me. He struggles with the pushups, and I just encourage him to do whatever he can and to keep trying but to feel no shame because someday, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year, he'll do it.

I'm going to do Fat Burner again tonight and again tomorrow. Tonight though I'm adding Red Hot Core at the end. Both of my sons are telling me they'll work out with me.

I would work out on Wednesday too but Ball Hockey is a fairly intense workout on its own so I'll leave DDPY alone on that day, but I'll get back to it on Thursday.

I do have the 2.0 discs and I actually forgot that I even bought them. I now remember wanting to get through all the 1.0 workouts before going to 2.0. I think I'll stick with that plan. As I type this I remember I ordered 2.0 because I wanted to get the extreme discs, which were still 1.0 but 2.0 came with them if I ordered the max pack. I never did get to trying the extreme discs. A couple of injuries set me back along the way and I never did get back on track to doing DDPY regularly.

I will now. Even though I've got holidays coming up and a some extended weekend camping trips planned too, I'm determined to do DDPY when I get back from those trips. I know I will because I feel committed. I know I'm committed. I'm tired of getting hurt or feeling tired because I'm not in shape. Time to take care of that!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #530
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two days in a row! RHC kills me the first time I do it Ina long time. Have to remind myself tomorrow that I don't have problems with my liver or kidneys or other internal parts. It's just deep pain from doing RHC!
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #531
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I hate core stuff because its so completely painful and you feel it hard the next day, but if you're using Yoga to work back problems then core is really essential.

Tomorrow . . . today will be another session of Energy, then Wed I'll do Energy and Core is quick succession.

I'm trying to avoid Stampede for the food this year, its impossible to walk by the mini donuts if your breathing and not completely scarf them down.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #532
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, tried to get up out of bed and I felt it. Core us so good though, and such a short workout. The very first time I did it I laid in the floor for an hour, too weak to get up. Last night after completing it I felt taller when I walked around.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #533
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Tried Energy 2.0 today for the first time... didn’t feel as tough as Energt (not that it’s hard). I’m going to do Fat Burner 2.0 tomorrow. Starting the 13week intermediate program next week I think.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #534
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just to continue the thread.

Did my fourth day of energy today, I decided that I need to fix the foundation.

things that I noticed when I restarted. My flexibility was kind of crappy, also my balance in the runners lunge was poor and I needed to remember to widen my base.

After four days you can and its funny to say this, see results.

The positives, I can get my active heart rate to 115 to 120 for most of the workout.

I started by using a chair just to get my standing split right and keep my knee straight since my knees are a mess. But I kicked the chair away today.

The only thing, and I've always had trouble with it is the twisting runnings lunge, I've always had to drop to a knee even when I was doing this a lot.

The big thing with DDP Yoga or any workout whether its weights or running or whatever is a good foundation and good technique. I think that energy really installs that, but I'm still planning on fat burner this week. I did watch FB 2.0 and its about 6 minutes longer and adds extra reps on some things from FB 1.0.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #535
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was super impressed the first time I ever started doing DDPY. I could see results when I looked in the mirror after only a couple of weeks.

If you apply yourself to doing this regularly you will noticed that the workouts get easier to do. I cursed in Diamond Cutter when he went do to slow burn pushups for the umpteenth time but this time it was 5 second count! Whaaaat! THEN the last pushup was 10 count! Are you kidding me?!?!??!? Later on that summer I did Diamond Cutter workout 3 nights in a row and by the 3rd night it was like. Oh, we're doing 10 count pushups now? No big deal.

I'm going to get back to that point by the end of August. Tonight is another FB and RHC (still 1.0).
Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #536
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Boing bounce

After 3 weeks, I'm still focusing mainly on Energy and Fatburner, I'm determined to work on my technique and being able to do the sets and transitions the right way so I'm taking my time. I'm also trying to enjoy the feeling instead of just pushing through the motions.

I've dropped 4 pounds and I've dropped an inch and a half off of my waistline.

The moves that start out difficult which are things like the standing splits, broken table (Broken table into crunch) and the pushups aren't neccessarily getting easier, but are a lot less um painful.

What I really like is being able to get deep into the lunge and supported lunge, I still really hate the space shuttle though because it burns man.

I really like how he's presenting the workouts, a lot of the cheese is really gone, there are still moments, but he's really done well in being really loud in terms of the breathing and when to take a breath and how to let it out.

Cool moment today. Safety zone, being able to go to my elbows without my butt coming up. Doing the final stretch where you walk your hands forward and being able to get my upper body almost horizontal to the ground, oh and when you lie back and flop your knees and put you other leg on top and getting my knee to the ground.

It gets harder now with football starting next week with four practices a week. The good news is that there's a lot of movement and walking which is good. I'm going to have to start getting up early to get a workout in before work, but I'm a terrible morning person.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #537
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The best part of DDP Yoga is the cheesiness. DDP is a character. He's a positive guy, he's funny and he oozes charisma. Pretty much why I bought the DVD's in the first place.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #538
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its still fun and he still has him moments. But the important thing with Yoga is the breathing, so being able to hear him taking exaggerated inhales and exhales really helps.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #539
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

DDP doing the Joe Rogan podcast today, it's a good listen so far...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #540
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I am going to jump in, any thoughts on the DVDs vs getting the app? Where I have room to set up is a bit small so I was thinking of just using a laptop.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg