Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #3481
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Not a mass shooting, but I'm not sure we have an ongoing US police shooting thread.

Woman calls police after hearing noises in her back alley and winds up shot dead by them.

"Damond, dressed in her pyjamas, reportedly approached the driver's side window of the police car when it arrived in the alley and an officer shot across his partner at Damond more than once from the passenger seat"

How goddamn trigger happy are the cops down there that they randomly shoot someone who approaches their car. Presumably without giving the person a warning first. And then not even just one shot. So ####ed up.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-police-radio
I've been following the case. It's front page news in Australia. The Australian media has found out quite a bit about the Officer Mohamed Noor. To neighbors and his ex-wife, let's just say he had some issues with women in general, with three complaints lodged against him in the last two years, and is being sued by one.

The Somali officer is also refusing to cooperate with investigators, and is now playing the race card, saying he is being treated unfair because he is Black and a Muslim, and complaining that his fellow Officers have "thrown him under a bus." I guess it has nothing to do with shooting a woman wearing pajamas unarmed, for no reason.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...376d83aaff31dd

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rtled-him.html

Last edited by ToewsFan; 07-20-2017 at 06:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #3482
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ironically, he'd be pulling the race card because his co-workers apparently aren't forming the blue shield around him to protect him from his crime.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #3483
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to think it's going to get ugly if Officer Noor is convicted of this crime. There have been a bunch of white officers in the last few years who have been acquitted for shooting black people. Obviously, the particulars of this case may justify the conviction but the optics would be ugly and may incite more protests/riots.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #3484
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I have to think it's going to get ugly if Officer Noor is convicted of this crime. There have been a bunch of white officers in the last few years who have been acquitted for shooting black people. Obviously, the particulars of this case may justify the conviction but the optics would be ugly and may incite more protests/riots.
I believe what you say is true, but the fact that the victim was an Australian, and the Prime Minister of Australia is calling for answers probably increases the likelihood that something will finally be done to reform the training protocol of the city police force.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #3485
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Not a mass shooting, but I'm not sure we have an ongoing US police shooting thread.

Woman calls police after hearing noises in her back alley and winds up shot dead by them.

"Damond, dressed in her pyjamas, reportedly approached the driver's side window of the police car when it arrived in the alley and an officer shot across his partner at Damond more than once from the passenger seat"

How goddamn trigger happy are the cops down there that they randomly shoot someone who approaches their car. Presumably without giving the person a warning first. And then not even just one shot. So ####ed up.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-police-radio
How idiotic is it to shoot across the lap your partner inside a car This guy is soooo fu***d
Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #3486
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
I believe what you say is true, but the fact that the victim was an Australian, and the Prime Minister of Australia is calling for answers probably increases the likelihood that something will finally be done to reform the training protocol of the city police force.
I totally agree, maybe some outside pressure from the Aussies could help pressure them to finally do something.

From what I have read and looked up about the case, this guy deserves to see jail time. What was the loud noise that scared the shooter? A trash panda knocking over some metal lids on a bin, the guy riding the bicycle crashing. This was enough to scare this officer into shooting a women in her pajamas? The cameras being off seems too fishy to me as well.

I'm sorry, but this guy needs to see jail time and this has nothing to do with his race. Can he be acquitted? Ya, knowing what we know about the US and seeing these things happen time and again, it is likely he is acquitted.

This is a very sad story, hard to keep on reading things like this happening all the time it seems.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #3487
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
How idiotic is it to shoot across the lap your partner inside a car This guy is soooo fu***d
I know that its really wrong to laugh, but I just had the image of the Archer running joke where they were shooting their guns off and giving each other tinnitus

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #3488
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
The cameras being off seems too fishy to me as well.
This could be a simple fail of policy. I know in the case of the Baltimore PD, for instance, they only have to turn on the cameras at the initiation of a confrontation or a call for service. In this case, if you simply shoot the citizen before either can happen....

The fun part about the BPD cameras... even when they aren't active, they still pre-record and keep 30 seconds of video prior to the point the cop activates it. This came to light when a cop was caught planting evidence in those 30 seconds before he thought he was being recorded.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #3489
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damond was a middle-aged, relatively middle-class white woman. This is not the type of person generally considered a physical threat by anyone. Her only mistake was calling the police.

Stuff like this makes me wonder, how common it is for people in the US to not call the police because they're afraid they'll just randomly kill someone?

If any contact with the police comes with the risk of death, something like "I'm possibly hearing a crime happening somewhere" is not very likely to be worth that risk.

How big is that risk? I have no idea, but the moment that thought crosses my mind is likely the moment I stop myself from making that call.

Last edited by Itse; 07-21-2017 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #3490
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Blacks and gays were some of the earliest, and strongest proponents of open-carry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
I'll take facts I've pulled out of my ass for $1000 Alex.
I haven't been actively reading this thread so so I'm late to comment on this, but nobody commented on this yet and peter12 obviously can't defend his point anymore, so I want to point out that peter12 did not completely pull this out of his ass.

For some history, in 1966 the Black Panthers started armed citizens patrols in Oakland to essentially protect the black community from police brutality. (This was pretty much the start of the movement.) In response to this California created the Mulford Act banning open carry, a law that still stands. This got national attention when the Panthers marched on California capitol in protest, openly armed. I don't know what the local gay community thought about this at that time, but I would expect at least parts of it sided with the Panthers, as the problem of police brutality was a serious problem for the gay community back then.

Obviously the Black Panthers lost much of their popular support in the seventies, but their remains still have the same attitudes.

Of note; the Huey P. Newton Gun Club in Texas is the only current one I've read about.

I can't comment on how common black and gay support for open carry was back in the day. The sixties were a very different time in this regard.

For further reading:
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug01/bar...therchap1.html

Quote:
...the sight of the cocky and confrontational Newton, winking at officers from behind his weapon and challenging white authority awed most blacks. Such confrontations with police were common in the early days of the party, as Newton, his law book in one hand and shotgun in the other, capitalized on every opportunity to demonstrate his command of the streets in front of an audience:

[Newton]watched the shaky officer approach, surrendering his license as required but refusing to yield any information not demanded by statute.
“What are you doing with the guns?” the patrolman asked, torn between obvious fear and hostility.

“What are you doing with your gun?” Newton countered…

Visibly tense and on edge, the police [began] to toss hostile questions at Newton…he answered jibe for jibe, seeming to enjoy the long-delayed meeting, knowing that one such confrontation might be worth a hundred members for the party. He was in his element, playing to the crowd as he asserted his right to bear arms, announcing his intention to open fire if the police should draw their guns or try to disarm his men illegally. In the end, the police were beaten.

The guns thus figured in the Panthers’ “staging” of the revolution in three important ways: black men were finally on equal footing with the police, able to defend themselves from brutality; police were intimidated and backed off; and the community of black onlookers was empowered by the individual act of defiance.

Last edited by Itse; 07-21-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #3491
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Minneapolis Police Chief has resigned, and there are calls for the Mayor to resign:

"The chief of police in Minneapolis has resigned at the request of the city’s mayor, Betsy Hodges, after Hodges said she had “lost the confidence of the people”.

Janeé Harteau has faced criticism for her handling of the shooting of unarmed Australian woman Justine Damond, as well as previous killings going back to 2013.

“I’ve lost confidence in the chief’s ability to lead us further,” said Hodges in a media statement. “And from the many conversations I’ve had with people around our city, it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well. For us to continue to transform policing ... we need new leadership at [Minneapolis Police Department]."

source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...mayors-request

Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #3492
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ not sure how effective it is rambling on and on saying the same thing for 2 minutes is
Old 07-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #3493
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
^^ not sure how effective it is rambling on and on saying the same thing for 2 minutes is
Aren't protest slogans the same thing? I think he did great. When the cameras pan towards you, just keep repeating the message until you are physically removed.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #3494
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay, NRA

Old 08-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #3495
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Do you understand that the world does not revolve around you and your do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?"
Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #3496
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Yay, NRA

Saw this the other day, it reminded me of those videos bin laden used to send to the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #3497
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

back to school items? lets see, pens, paper, pencils, eraser, highlighter, oh yeah, and a gun, can't forget that.

size
NSFW!

Last edited by DuffMan; 08-10-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #3498
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Meanwhile in Canada:

https://i.redditmedia.com/rhwPKHuOFB...U-DLM8HDMk.jpg
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #3499
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uspect-n800221
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #3500