Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #161
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

murdering the Rogue One team isn't such a huge risk in my opinion, seems like most people accept it, and there'd be more complaining if any of them escaped.

what would have been potentially darker and more controversial is if they were captured and turned into Imperials, as Forest Whitaker warned in unused trailer footage.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #162
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Don't worry, the CGI Tarkin and Leia will be fixed in the special editions released in 20 years from now.
Using a cloned Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing. The clones will be killed following completion of the reshoot because Disney has got a taste for killing now.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #163
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't get why people think Disney won't let you kill people off.

Pretty much the first 5 minutes of every Disney movie ever is killing of some type of character to make you sad.
Not only do they kill things, but they're extremely ruthless about doing it. Remember Bambi's mom?

That one scarred a generation of children.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #164
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler alert for Bambi!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #165
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Not only do they kill things, but they're extremely ruthless about doing it. Remember Bambi's mom?

That one scarred a generation of children.

And then when that generation of parents grew up they got to take their kids/grandkids to the Lion King, who had to watch Mufasa's death.

These two articles pretty much sum it up.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/...-disney-films/

http://www.dorkly.com/post/74688/disney-movie-deaths-2/

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-20-2016 at 10:15 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #166
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know, to this day, I've never ever seen the Lion King, but didn't they drop the kid to its death too?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #167
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #168
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
People bitching about character CGI need to get over themselves. I'll bet you people going in that didn't know the actors/characters previously wouldn't even realize it.
Nope. Didn't know who Tarkin was as I've *maybe* seen that movie twice, and it was ages ago. But saw right away that it was a CGI guy. Especially the close ups on his face. I understood that they included him for continuity of some kind. I obviously recognized Leia, but IMO her CGI looked great.

As a reference, I watched this in IMAX 3D.

As a casual fan I thought this movie was great! We're planning on watching the original trilogy over Christmas to refresh ourselves on the story because we loved R1 and TFA.

These movies have got us re-engaged in the franchise after I thought the cinematic vomit of 1-3 would turn me off the franchise forever.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #169
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

A ton of easter eggs and problems people had with Rogue One explained via twitter and summed up here by Pablo Hidalgo:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/...ars-story.html

He is a creative executive in story development, basically tasked with keeping the canon steady. He also confirms in there that it was Chopper, the Ghost and Syndulla in all of the previously mentioned references, so cool.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #170
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should add a poll to this thread to make it interesting.

Which movie do you like better?
1. The Force Awakens
2. Rogue One

I'm curious what people think.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #171
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Just got home from it. That Vader scene...oh man oh man.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #172
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Nope. Didn't know who Tarkin was as I've *maybe* seen that movie twice, and it was ages ago. But saw right away that it was a CGI guy. Especially the close ups on his face. I understood that they included him for continuity of some kind. I obviously recognized Leia, but IMO her CGI looked great.

As a reference, I watched this in IMAX 3D.

As a casual fan I thought this movie was great! We're planning on watching the original trilogy over Christmas to refresh ourselves on the story because we loved R1 and TFA.

These movies have got us re-engaged in the franchise after I thought the cinematic vomit of 1-3 would turn me off the franchise forever.
Interesting. Well I saw it in non-3D on a smaller screen. His face was a tad stiff but it wasn't overly obvious.

It's really strange how there have been such mixed thoughts on the CGI characters.

That's great to hear the new ones have drawn you back in.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #173
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
what would have been potentially darker and more controversial is if they were captured and turned into Imperials, as Forest Whitaker warned in unused trailer footage.
Man, where was this movie going originally?

I liked the finished product but I'm still curious af.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #174
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Saw it again.

Some of the nit picks meant a lot less this time.

- editing seemed fine to me. I liked the choppy first half hour. Liked it that everything wasn't wrapped in a neat little package.

- visiting the planet where Jyn's father made sense. Cassian had his orders and the rebels didn't really believe or even really know about the message from Galen. They still thought Galen could be building other super weapons or maybe was integral to keeping the Death Star going.

- the pilot was clearly dazed after his mind was read but later recovered. Maybe Saw saw (lol!) the truth quickly and didn't make that creature ruin his brain for good.

- good god, Darth's scene at the end was epic

- I cared a lot about the characters. The two Asian dudes had a great bromance.

- Seeing Cassian murder his informant was still disturbing the second time. Near the beginning there, the guy with the weak arm. Not used to seeing shades of grey and rebels do scummy things

- some of the shots of the ships in the fight scene near the end were spectacular. Saw it in 3D this time and it looked great.

- Galen definitely didn't want to give them all the details to the Death Star in his hologram in case it was intercepted. But it was a huge risk considering they got very little info and had to rob a major empire base.

- so what if Saw's part was small? Maybe he had some scenes cut but also how long were Yoda or Obi Wan in their respective movies? Perhaps a bit more than Saw, but not a whole lot. Plus, what would it achieve to give him more screen time? Nothing wrong with having good actors play small but important parts.

- CGI Tarkin and CGI Leia looked way better this time. I think it was part less jarring since I'd seen it already and also it looked better in 3D.

- I think it is silly to nitpick about the work station for fixing the dish was at the edge of the dish 30 feet from the main control panel, or that the whole archiving system would be impossible to use (seriously, if you had to use those manual handles to grab a file and you had to see the storage location how the eff would you get a file all the way at the top at the back, out of visual range?) and why was the master switch for the comm system just located at some random workstation located on a beach?

But who gives a ####? Would it have changed anything if those three things were in more logical spots? it's not like the general plot would have changed. They served their purpose and helped build the tension or some things were done for visual purposes or some other reason.

Oh and that hilarious death trap spiral door Jyn had to jump thru to get up to the dish. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but who cares. It can easily be explained away.

Remember when ObiWan had to shuffle out onto a ledge next to a giant 5000 foot drop on the original Death Star, when he needed to lower the tractor beam? Imperial engineers are clearly all masochists the way they design things.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-21-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #175
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

1. The Force Awakens
2. Rogue One

Rogue One had the best moment, but TFA is such a better movie.

You can skip most of Rogue One and not miss a thing, If you skip the first two-thirds of TFA you miss all the character development and plot buildup.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #176
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Rogue One had the best moment, but TFA is such a better movie.

You can skip most of Rogue One and not miss a thing, If you skip the first two-thirds of TFA you miss all the character development and plot buildup.
I liked Finn and Rey better than any of the R1 characters, but much of the TFA plot was either nonsensical or a retread. I liked TFA well enough but Rogue was a legit good movie on its own. R1 didn't rely as much as TFA did on nostalgia to hide plot flaws.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-21-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #177
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it last night. I liked it, but feel like I need to re-watch to take it all in with more attention to the detail versus the spectacle of it all. Gotta love that blue milk in Jyn's family home.

I'll echo damn near everyone else in saying that the final Vader scene was just insane.

Was anyone else hoping to see Biggs in the final space battle? I thought he'd pop in there, seeing Red Leader and others was a really cool continuity callback.

I played a lot of X-Wing and Tie Fighter back in the day, and even though I don't think those are considered canon anymore I was hoping the Rebel fleet would have had some more Mon Calamari Cruiser type ships in it. The flagship was cool, but lacked that organic look of the Mon Cal ships I was used to seeing.

Also when Vader and fleet arrived how many Star Destroyers did he roll in with? I know his ship smashed a few as they exited hyperspace but they appeared to make super quick work of the fleet, whereas before the fleet was holding their own during the battle with the two Star Destroyers over the shield ring, standoff distance versus Vader just popping into the middle of them and unleashing everything?

I guess you can tell I'm all about the space battles eh? Seeing X-Wings rip into the walkers with ease is always cool too, especially when you see how the Rebels struggle against the next version with the Snowspeeders and their blasters on Hoth.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #178
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

1. The Force Awakens
2. Rogue One

Didn't Tinordi settle this once the Rogue One trailer hit?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #179
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Saw it last night. I liked it, but feel like I need to re-watch to take it all in with more attention to the detail versus the spectacle of it all. Gotta love that blue milk in Jyn's family home.

I'll echo damn near everyone else in saying that the final Vader scene was just insane.

Was anyone else hoping to see Biggs in the final space battle? I thought he'd pop in there, seeing Red Leader and others was a really cool continuity callback.

I played a lot of X-Wing and Tie Fighter back in the day, and even though I don't think those are considered canon anymore I was hoping the Rebel fleet would have had some more Mon Calamari Cruiser type ships in it. The flagship was cool, but lacked that organic look of the Mon Cal ships I was used to seeing.

Also when Vader and fleet arrived how many Star Destroyers did he roll in with? I know his ship smashed a few as they exited hyperspace but they appeared to make super quick work of the fleet, whereas before the fleet was holding their own during the battle with the two Star Destroyers over the shield ring, standoff distance versus Vader just popping into the middle of them and unleashing everything?

I guess you can tell I'm all about the space battles eh? Seeing X-Wings rip into the walkers with ease is always cool too, especially when you see how the Rebels struggle against the next version with the Snowspeeders and their blasters on Hoth.
The Mon Cal cruisers are definitely canon, I tend to think that the Rebels are still rag tag and not super well equipt during Rogue one. I mean if you look at it they had the X-Wing which was probably the best Space Superiority fighter, but in ANH which takes place after R1 they are still flying the Y-Wing Bomber which we first saw during the Clone Wars.

The appeal of the GFFA is that the Imperials have these Star Destroyers and SSD's which are bright white and shiny and lethal looking and they have these tie fighters and Tie Bombers that are such a unique looking design but again state of the art.

The Rebels are flying around in stolen ships (Nebulon B) converted luxury liners (Mon Cal Cruisers) battered transports (Falcon and Ghost) and outside of the X-Wings, obsolete old Y wings and what looks like cobbled together ships (B wings)

The other thing that I really liked through out the trilogy was that during the PT all the ships and technology were nice and shiny and new looking and had a certain artists touch. The Venatar Jedi Cruiser in my mind was the prettiest ship in all of Star Wars. Then you get to the OT and the ships all have a battered worn out look to them and the Military ships don't have the colors and flashes and are built to look utterly intimidating.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #180
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Most of the fleet had already jumped to hyperspace before Vader's Star Destroyer arrived. The ship that crashed into it mid-jump was among the final group to get away.