Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
goeagles
Draft Pick

Default Jailbreakin'

I was reading a post on the iphoneincanada blog and he was going through how to Jailbreak your iPhone. I'm pretty ignorant to jailbreakin - I get the concept of being able to use 3rd patry applications and all but I dont really understand the downside/risks of it. (Ex: when there are software upgrades, can jailbroken iphones still install them? Are you vulnerable to viruses??)

Any folks on here who have jailbroken the nw 3g's? Any advice/tips/cautions?
goeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

so many spelling errors, my brain hurts.

You could not have read the other posts? It has links on how to do everything!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
goeagles
Draft Pick

I'll spell check next time.

I searched "Jail breaking" and it didnt come up with what I was looking for. Thanks for the helpful reply, though.
goeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

search term: jailbreak

Personally I don't see the need for a jailbreak...
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

the appeal to jailbreaking your 1st gen iPhone, was to use it on other carriers other than AT&T. That jailbreak was also a SIM card jailbreak.
The current jailbreak for the 3G and 2.*.* firmware does not free your iPhone from being locked into your current SIM card.
Right now, the only reason you would jailbreak your iPhone is to use 3rd party apps, not supported or endorsed by Apple, until there is a SIM card unlock.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

biggest draw is 3rd party apps that are not supported by apple. 1 major benefit of these 3rd party apps is they can run in the background. For example, an instant messenger app will continue to recieve messages while your surfing the net. With the apps on appstore, once you exit the program, all processes are terminate. Other apps, such as netshare (used for teathering) were pulled from appstore but similar programs are available from jailbreaked phones. Lastly, you can customize the look of the iphone much more when jailbreaked (change all the icons, start up screens...ect).

A lot of people were worried about the apple killswitch (apple can force uninstall any program from your phone remotely). This can be easily disable after jailbreaking.

when new apple firmwares are released (i,.e. the new 2.0.2), the jailbreak is broken until new new jailbreak is out. This doesn't take long (i think 2.0 was jailbreaked before it was even out since the sdk was released, 2.0.1 took a couple hours or something like that). You may be more vulnerable to viruses, but still very unlikely. The repos that the 3rd party apps are released on are part of large communities. If one of the programs contained a virus, they would be removed very quickly.

as for risks, you can always brick your iphone/ipod but resetting an reloading a past firmware is never that hard to do.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote