Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:
Default Jailbreak avaialable

So it looks like the iPhoneDev Team has released their pwnage tool to allow people to jailbreak their iPhones and Touches.

http://lifehacker.com/398906/jailbre...ith-pwnagetool

You will need to have your device updated to 2.0 before you will be able to use the tool though.

Thought I would share, since a few people where wondering about it.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

so are there any third party apps that would make jailbreaking an iphone worth it at the moment?

edit: Ohhhh NES Emulator
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
so are there any third party apps that would make jailbreaking an iphone worth it at the moment?

edit: Ohhhh NES Emulator

FYI, the 2.0 framework is very different from the 1.1.4 framework, so most of the jailbreak apps have not been recompiled. If you like your jailbreak apps (ie. NES), i wouldn't upgrade right away. If you want access to the appstore, then upgrade.

also, for the 3g iphone, this tool jailbreaks but doesn't unlock it yet (can install 3rd party apps, but can't use non rogers/fido sim cards).
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
You will need to have your device updated to 2.0 before you will be able to use the tool though.
I'm not sure what that means, but it is not necessary to put 2.0 on your iPhone before pwning it.

I had 1.1.1 on my iPhone, downloaded the 2.0 package from iTunes, and pwned it from there. Skipped all the intermediate steps. From the instructions I have read, it is much easier to pwn it without 2.0 on it. *shrug*

Seems to work great. I played Bejewelled the whole way home from work.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I'm not sure what that means, but it is not necessary to put 2.0 on your iPhone before pwning it.
THe new pwn tool from the iPhoneDev team requires that you upgrade your iPhone, iTouch to 2.0 software.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have updated my iPhone to 2.0 and its great now that you save from the web browser. Everything seems to be working. The lack of third party apps right now is the downfall but they should be coming in soon I would imagine.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
THe new pwn tool from the iPhoneDev team requires that you upgrade your iPhone, iTouch to 2.0 software.
Quite true. I thought you meant you had to put 2.0 on the iPhone before pwning, but it is true that once done pwning with this new tool, you certainly will have 2.0 on the iPhone.

I did have some troubles with my network settings. Edge wasn't working at all and wifi was working only intermittently. I read a web page saying you had to SSH into the iPhone and change the setting and I was "uh-oh... what have I gotten myself into". Fortunately all I had to do was "restore network settings" and everything seems to be working perfectly. Though in 1.1.1 I had to type in "internet.com" to use edge and there is nowhere to change that in 2.0. I assume it figured it out on its own?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bricked my phone....

Had the first gen iPhone. Upgraded to the 2.0 software via itunes, then ran the pwngage tool, and now I can't get it to work. Any ideas?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

I read somewhere that there is way to flash it back. It has to do with a combination of pressing and holding the home button, as well as the reset button?
I can't find the link right now, sorry.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

This was how I got 2.0 on my phone:

iPhone which had been received refurbished from Apple 3 months ago with 1.1.4. I unlocked/jailbroke using iLiberity at that time.

Today:
- Downloaded iTunes versions 7.7
- Downloaded iLiberty 1.3.0.113
- Downloaded iThor custom firmware from torrent site, google to find it

- Started iTunes. Did a full backup of my phone. Closed iTunes
- Started iLiberty, clicked 'Other Tools' and entered Recovery Mode. This gave a picture on the phone showing connect to iTunes.
- Started iTunes, it asked to check for updates to identify the phone. Clicked Ok/Yes.
- Shift+clicked Restore and selected iThor's custom firmware.

It took about 10 minutes to restore the phone. Once the phone was restored and rebooted, Bootneuter automatically started and flashed the baseband and bootloader. The phone rebooted and voila I had 2.0.

As all my settings/contacts were gone I had to do a backup restore of this info, which I had backed up 10 minutes prior.

And the Texas Holdem app is awesome, as is the Shazam app. It's unreal how it can identify songs played, even between the radio and live versions of the songs.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

BTW - is anyone that pwned their 1st gen having troubles with their wifi? I thought resetting the network settings solved my problem, but it only solved my Edge issue. I thought the wifi was fixed, but really it was still using Edge.