Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #41
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The length of his email seems the most suspicious. Maybe he's just a naturally chatty guy, but that whole story could have been condensed down to: "can I pay with paypal?".

Also, who buys a car without actually checking it out?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The easiest way to figure out if something like this is a scam (well, that is if the "I'm currently out at sea" line doesn't tip you off first ) is to simply cut and paste the text into google - feel free to try it with this text, you'll have your answer pretty quick.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #43
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
The easiest way to figure out if something like this is a scam (well, that is if the "I'm currently out at sea" line doesn't tip you off first ) is to simply cut and paste the text into google - feel free to try it with this text, you'll have your answer pretty quick.

Yeah I should have thought of that. I tried googling paypal scams but there were so many results I figured CP would be quicker.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #44
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Haha I JUST got a phone call from a company wanting to help sell our 2004 Yukon Denali....(Just bought a 2012 F-150 Platinum!! whoop whoop)

Googled them and they seem to be a scam too.... Friggin scammers

They were from Car Aquire
www.caracquire.com
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is there some kind of reverse scam where you can scam the scammer? Like keep their paypal payment and string them along by delaying paying their agent until the payment clears your paypal account?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #46
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Haha I JUST got a phone call from a company wanting to help sell our 2004 Yukon Denali....(Just bought a 2012 F-150 Platinum!! whoop whoop)

Googled them and they seem to be a scam too.... Friggin scammers

They were from Car Aquire
www.caracquire.com
They use a new company name every month too. Buddy got livid when I told him I wasn't interested. He actually started yelling at me on the phone for what I can only assume was to bully me into a sale. It was quite amusing. A friend of mine had them call him and he still doesn't really believe me that it's a scam.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So is there some kind of reverse scam where you can scam the scammer? Like keep their paypal payment and string them along by delaying paying their agent until the payment clears your paypal account?
Not in the sense you are talking about because the payment will eventually bounce. The best place you can end up is even.

This site has some good 'scamming the scammers' stories though
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #48
DementedReality
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i put my car on autotrader.ca a few days ago and got the exact same message ...

i told him my paypal email address -- f^ck0ffscammer@f^ck0ff.com
DementedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DementedReality For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It'd be pretty tough. I'd think the best one could hope for is to disguise a virus as an encoded "account information" in case the email gets intercepted with your "private account info", then when they open it their computer is infected.
But I neither have the know how or motivation to do such a thing lol.
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #50
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
They use a new company name every month too. Buddy got livid when I told him I wasn't interested. He actually started yelling at me on the phone for what I can only assume was to bully me into a sale. It was quite amusing. A friend of mine had them call him and he still doesn't really believe me that it's a scam.
I'm such a prick to those guys.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #51
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Not in the sense you are talking about because the payment will eventually bounce. The best place you can end up is even.

This site has some good 'scamming the scammers' stories though
I just checked that out. 419 Eater was a good site . Convincing a scammer to handwrite an entire Harry Potter novel (293 pages) was pretty funny.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #52
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems irresponsible of paypal to let people pay you, then have a payment bounce and charge you back. seems like a good way to encourage scams.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #53
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just send your bank account information and see what happens. What could go wrong?
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #54
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
Seems irresponsible of paypal to let people pay you, then have a payment bounce and charge you back. seems like a good way to encourage scams.
The thing is; people can only get burned if they don't follow Paypal's terms of service. One of those terms is that you are to only ship the item to the buyer's confirmed Paypal address. A few years ago some people I know got burned by agreeing to a local pickup, and then the buyer doing a chargeback based on the seller not shipping.

In this case, Paypal should not be used to purchase a vehicle. It isn't an "all purpose" payment method.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #55
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I don't even dink with ebay or paypal anymore. I have sold a lot of big ticket stuff on Kijiji and it never takes me more than a couple days, and it is always cash in hand. In the last year:

Today: $1200 Bicycle (in 2 hours), cash.
And in the past few months:
$12000 motorcycle, bank draft, we met at his bank so I witnessed it being stamped.
$1300 camera lens, cash.
$900 digital piano, email money transfer at my house.
About 30 sets of flames tickets, all cash, all buyer pick up.

I got fair market value for every item, and it would have been costlier using ebay after fees. Calgary is big enough now, you do not need a global marketing approach to sell anything, then habe to deal with packing, shipping, etc...unless it is highly niche. Kijiji is awesome, and I am now starting to pay for the odd add out of sheer guilt since it has worked so well for me, and so fast.

Using ebay now is just asking for brain damage IMO.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #56
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I got this e-mail today. Apparently all the other nigeria money scams were scams, and this is the real deal:

Quote:
Attn: My Dear,

I am Mrs Elizabeth Rose Jones, I am a US citizen, 48 years Old. I reside here in Silver Springs Florida. My residential address is as follows. 7008 E Hwy 326 Silver Springs FLorida 34488, United States, am thinking of relocating since I am now rich. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over US$20,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail.

So I decided to travel down to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, And I was directed to meet Barrister John Thompson, who is the member of COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, and I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake.

He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment. Right now I am the most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of $1,500,000.00 Moreover, Barrister John Thompson, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your email address as one of the beneficiaries, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact Barrister John Thompson.

You have to contact him directly on this information below.

COMPENSATION AWARD HOUSE
Name : Barrister John Thompson(Esq)
Email: barrjohnthompson@mail.kz
Phone Number: +234-808-454-4787.

You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing.

The only money I paid after I met Barrister John Thompson was just US$580 for the paper works, take note of that.

Once again stop contacting those people, I will advise you to contact Barrister John Thompson so that he can help you to Deliver your fund instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your transaction.

Thank You and Be Blessed.

Mrs Elizabeth Rose Jones.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote