Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1121
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If I'm not mistaken, with the regular season over, Sven becomes the first player to finish in the top 10 in scoring while maintaining a 2 points/game average in 13 years in the WHL.
If my my memory serves me correct, Pavel Brendl is the last one to average 2 points/game as he lead the WHL with 134 points in 68 games in 98/ 99?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #1122
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
If my my memory serves me correct, Pavel Brendl is the last one to average 2 points/game as he lead the WHL with 134 points in 68 games in 98/ 99?
Not sure, just a stat I heard. That might be it though.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #1123
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think Brendl would be the one because 134 points in 68 games is 2 shy of 2.0 points/game.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #1124
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I checked the WHL website, they provide stats from as early as 1996. The last ones were Byron Ritchie and Peter Schaefer, both in 1996-97. Ritchie had exactly 2 points per game (126 points in 63 games), Schaefer was even a bit better (123 points in 61 games). Pavel Brendl (134 points in 68 games in 1998-99) and Jordan Eberle (106 points in 57 games in 2009-10) were just a few points short, but other than that, no one in the top 10 of scoring even came close to 2 points per game mark.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #1125
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season-wide, for the WHL kids...

Laurent Brossoit [Edmonton]: 42-13-2-3, .914 S%, 2.47 GAA
Michael Ferland [Brandon]: 47g-49a-96pts, +17, 11 GWG
Max Reinhart [Kootenay]: 28g-50a-78pts, +19, 4 GWG
Joey Leach [Kootenay]: 12g-31a-43pts, +23, 1 GWG
Sven Baertschi [Portland]: 33g-61a-94pts, +15, 3 GWG
Tyler Wotherspoon [Portland]: 7g-21a-28pts, +18, 1 GWG
Turner Elson [Red Deer]: 21g-25a-46pts, -7, 2 GWG

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #1126
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I would assume only some of the WHL playoff games will be shown, or will be dependent on region? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the TV schedule looks like.

Personally, I'd like to see a Kootenay/Portland final again. Except for this time, unfortunately I think Portland would win the title (I'm an Ice fan because I'm from Cranbrook, but it wouldn't hurt me to see Portland win).
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #1127
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
So, I would assume only some of the WHL playoff games will be shown, or will be dependent on region? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the TV schedule looks like.

Personally, I'd like to see a Kootenay/Portland final again. Except for this time, unfortunately I think Portland would win the title (I'm an Ice fan because I'm from Cranbrook, but it wouldn't hurt me to see Portland win).
Had it not been for a late season skid, The ice would have a much better chance at advancing deep into the playoffs this season.

Unfortunately they draw Edmonton who clearly holds superior depth at nearly every position outside of goaltending. With that being said out of all the teams in Eastern Conference, Kootenay probably poses the most difficult matchup to Edmonton as it will be a battle of an offensive system vs a defensive system.

Should be a very interesting series, but I think Edmonton takes it in six or seven games.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #1128
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well I for my part won't mind if the Ice get beaten in the first round. In that case, Reinhart and Leach could join the Heat. The Ice/Oil Kings series could be over as soon as March 29 (game 4), while game 7 would be on April 4. If the Ice crash out, there'd be enough time for Reinhart and Leach to play 4-6 RS games (plus potential playoff games) in Abbotsford, as the Heat's regular season ends on April 15.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #1129
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Kootenay/Portland series is going to be interesting on several fronts:

1.) Battle between the two best goalies in the WHL (Brossoit and Lieuwen). Ty Rimmer finished with a better GAA, but Lieuwen and Brossoit were #1 and #2 in GAA for the majority of the season.

2.) Can Reinhart shut down St. Croix? He was able to absolutely shut down Howden, Schenn, Etem/Vey, as well as Baertschi/Johansen/Rattie/Niederreiter somewhat.

3.) Can Max (and Sam) outwork/out-battle his brother?

4.) Can Leach sufficiently shut down Edmonton's top players?

It's going to be a fun series to watch for sure.

EDIT - But yeah, the greedy part of me wants Portland, Brandon, and Kootenay to fail so those prospects can help the Heat make the playoffs and maybe go far in the playoffs.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 03-19-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #1130
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
EDIT - But yeah, the greedy part of me wants Portland, Brandon, and Kootenay to fail so those prospects can help the Heat make the playoffs and maybe go far in the playoffs.
Portland is doomed to fail I think...I can't imagine WHL refs will put up with Leipsic and Ross for much longer (especially when Ross is moving on), and with Carruth in net...

Well either way, Carruth will be their biggest weakness.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1131
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

As per his agent's Twitter, looks like Turner Elson is joining the Heat for this weekend's games.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #1132
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
As per his agent's Twitter, looks like Turner Elson is joining the Heat for this weekend's games.
Plus David Eddy obviously. Good for the Heat to get some more help for the playoff push.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #1133
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is Elson even healthy? He missed the last week or two with the Rebels. I guess he could just be there to watch and get familiar with everyone.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #1134
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is Baertschi eligible to join the Heat if Portland loses out early?
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #1135
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL stint adds to Sven Bartschi's confidence going into WHL playoffs

Quote:
“It was a special experience I went through there,” the 2011 first-round Flames draft choice says. “Its something you dream of as a little kid.”
Quote:
“It was a special experience I went through there,” the 2011 first-round Flames draft choice says. “Its something you dream of as a little kid.”
Quote:
“You can’t really believe it because it happened so quick,” Bartschi says. “To just get a call that said, ‘You have to come down to Calgary, have one practice and play a game.’ I was just kind of in shock. It’s something you dream of. It was very special there.”
Quote:
“I don’t even know if I was thinking too much,” Bartschi says. “I was nervous because I was so excited.”
Quote:
“I thought it went well, the first game,” Bartschi says. “Most of the time when you’re really excited about playing, things are a lot easier out there to do. After the first period, I felt I could keep up with those guys.”
Quote:
“I didn’t expect that to happen, but it did happen,” he says, of scoring three goals. “I thought it was because of my confidence. The guys really helped me out, and I had so much confidence in my game during those five games. I did stuff out there that I was normally scared to do.
Quote:
“In the first game, I was really scared to try to go one-on-one against the (defender). I thought I should just dump it in. But after a while, I was really confident and I was trying new stuff out there.”
Quote:
“You go up there and jump into a playoff run and score three goals, it gives you a lot of confidence,” Bartschi says. “I’m looking forward to our playoff run."

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...medium=twitter
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #1136
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Ramage article. He's undecided about playing his senior year at Wisconsin

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...449/story.html
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #1137
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Reinhart and Michael Ferland named to the WHL Eastern Conference Second All-Star Team.

http://www.whl.ca/article/2012-whl-e...ward-finalists
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #1138
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't get around to visiting these site till today, Johnny Gaudreau was named ATHLETIC REPUBLIC PLAYER OF THE WEEK and PRO AMBITIONS ROOKIE OF THE WEEK.

Quote:
Gaudreau led all BC players with three goals and one assist in two games and earned Hockey East Playoff MVP honors. Gaudreau became the fifth freshman to garner MVP honors and the fourth Eagles' freshman to accomplish the feat. He finished the weekend with 11 shots on goal and +2 plus/minus rating.

Quote:
Gaudreau led all BC players with three goals and one assist in two games; earned Hockey East Playoff MVP honors.
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...03/mar19wr.php
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #1139
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sven Bartschi named to the WHL Western Conference Second All-Star Team. Interesting to see him not named as a 1st team All-Star, only player in the WHL to average 2 PPG.

https://twitter.com/#!/pdxwinterhawks/status/182929998288662528

Last edited by Drake; 03-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #1140
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Sven Bartschi named to the WHL Western Conference Second All-Star Team. Interesting to see him not named as a 1st team All-Star, only player in the WHL to average 2 PPG.

https://twitter.com/#!/pdxwinterhawks/status/182929998288662528
Tough to figure how Brendan Gallagher merited the First Team selection. 77 points in 54 games. Solid, but honestly all three second team forwards are more deserving. Baertschi had 17 more points in seven less games, for example.

Regardless, still a great year.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects