Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Israel's defense council has approved a ground operation in Gaza effective immediately.

Hezbollah has announced that if Israel steps foot into the Gaza Strip that they will enter the war and attack Israel.

Which will bring Lebanon into this.

Sounds like the Iron Dome got over whelmed, and a real failure of Israeli intelligence.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:29 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Damn, dude. You just solved the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. After over 100 years, when you put it that way, it’s just so simple! Why didn’t anyone think of this before?
Please explain how "understanding who is at fault in this particular moment in a seemingly endless conflict" amounts to "solving" this seemingly endless conflict.

That said, there sure are a lot of people who like talking about this issue while being too stupid to understand the difference between "killing civilians is our actual goal" and "killing civilians is not our goal".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #23
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Please explain how "understanding who is at fault in this particular moment in a seemingly endless conflict" amounts to "solving" this seemingly endless conflict.

That said, there sure are a lot of people who like talking about this issue while being too stupid to understand the difference between "killing civilians is our actual goal" and "killing civilians is not our goal".
Please explain how pointing out that terrorism and killing civilians is bad is somehow an elevated, intelligent comment that you think even one person doesn’t understand.

That said, there are some people who seem too stupid to understand any particular moment of this conflict in a broader context, and respond to people approaching it in that way with comments like “terrorism is BAD!”

jfc
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:40 AM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently it needs to be pointed out to people who see a bunch of terrorists murdering civilians and immediately jump to "both sides, many sides, really nowhere to stand here."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #25
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Apparently it needs to be pointed out to people who see a bunch of terrorists murdering civilians and immediately jump to "both sides, many sides, really nowhere to stand here."
It’s almost like this conflict has been going on long enough that people understand this didn’t occur in a vacuum and that Israel’s actions before and their actions after are going to be nothing to celebrate or side with either.

But thanks. Terrorism is bad. Mind blown.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 10:04 AM   #26
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow - just getting caught up on this now. This is absolutely nuts.

The state of this world right now is sad.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 10:10 AM   #27
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

The only thing worth focusing on are the wellbeing of your tribe, scientific breakthroughs and acts of kindness. Everything else just seems shrouded in darkness.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
kn
Old 10-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #28
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

100%

This is not going to end well for either side. The IDF may just turn Gaza into a parking lot.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:55 AM   #29
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Poor Pointman, hope he and his family is ok.
We live up north in Haifa, so we are safe. I came to donate blood today, but so many people came, that after waiting 80 minutes in line, we were told that my "+" type blood is no longer needed for now. Later we received the message that in my daughter's school some 300 kids from the south are housed. They visited north on weekend and now can't come back home, so people were asked to bring water, food and such. So I came there with my both kids, but when we arrived, we were told that more than enough was brought in already. Overall, it is very quite in the northern part of country, except that some of my colleagues might get a call up as reservists.

Last edited by Pointman; 10-07-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #30
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wonder how much of the 6 billion in funds released by the States to Iran for hostages ended up with Hamas.

Yeah this is going to be extremely bad and the civilians on both sides are completely caught in the middle.
Mark Hertling says zilch
https://twitter.com/user/status/1710690447109017685

more

https://twitter.com/user/status/1710686923717796076

Last edited by Cheese; 10-07-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #31
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
We live up north in Haifa, so we are safe. I came to donate blood today, but so many people came, that after waiting 80 minutes in line, we were told that my "+" type blood is no longer needed for now. Later we received the message that in my daughter's school some 300 kids from the south are housed. They visited north on weekend and now can't come back home, so people were asked to bring water, food and such. So I came there with my both kids, but when we arrived, we were told that more than enough was brought in already. Overall, it is very quite in the northern part of country, except that some of my colleagues might get a call up as reservists.

Glad your ok! Keep us up to date with what you see and hear.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:04 AM   #32
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1710697323192287613

https://twitter.com/user/status/1710704556370272266

https://twitter.com/user/status/1710632294409506911

Last edited by Cheese; 10-07-2023 at 11:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 11:15 AM   #33
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It is hard not to think that restricting access to water during the hottest summer in history would increase tensions.
Israel actually has a vast excess of water, due to their desalination technology, which they still to other countries in the region.

The timing of this almost certainly has something to do with the proposed Saudi/Israeli peace deal.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #34
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you launch 5000 rockets and send in ground troops to kill civilians, that's not terrorists, that's a declaration of war. This isn't a long conflict going back many years, it's history culminating in this new action. That large of an operation doesn't happen without the leaders in Palestine knowing. If you believe in a separate Palestine, then this is a state action.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:48 AM   #35
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugh - what awful news.

i remember back when i was in high school (late 80's early 90's) we got new next door neighbours. they moved to canada from israel. the parents wanted a better/safer future for their two daughters. i remember the father telling us stories of how he and other dads armed with m16s would ride on the school bus with their children to school to make sure they got there safely. i just can't fathom a life like that. so sad.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:51 AM   #36
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very hard to watch. It just fuels the hatred I thought I overcame for the Palestinian people. I would love Israel to legalize the death sentence to terrorists with blood on their hands.

This won't end any time soon. I just hope that Hezbollah and the West Bank don't join the fighting.

You can't justify killing in cold blood, no matter how much pro Palestinian you are.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #37
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
You can't justify killing in cold blood, no matter how much pro Palestinian you are.
Can it be justified when pro Israeli?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #38
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Can it be justified when pro Israeli?
You know I always find it a convenient argument.

I lived in Israel from 91 to 2003. The rockets are fired from the local Palestinian population. There isn't a good way to stop rockets without striking launch locations and ammo storage locations back. When did Israelis go to Gaza for the sole reason of killing Palestinians for PR?

Does Israel have a much superior army to the Hamas? Why couldn't they eradicate them then? Because they use their own population as a meat shield. Israel doesn't want to harm that population. Killing civilians was never the goal, stopping rocket fire, and murders/explosions is.

That's one of the reasons Hamas uses schools and hospitals to store ammo. That's also the reason it often recruits teens younger than 18 to cause provocations. If the teen gets hurt then Israel is killing children.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #39
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Very hard to watch. It just fuels the hatred I thought I overcame for the Palestinian people. I would love Israel to legalize the death sentence to terrorists with blood on their hands.

This won't end any time soon. I just hope that Hezbollah and the West Bank don't join the fighting.

Love you too man.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #40
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Love you too man.
I don't have a problem with you, so let me clarify. I don't hate people in Palestine, or ones that are from there. You have nothing to do with what an armed group of people is doing.

I feel hatred towards all those celebrating Israeli deaths. Mutilating the bodies of the dead, and those that encourage the repeat of those actions. I feel hatred towards the picture of joy the Arab media is projecting.