Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #281
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I actually like KFC once in a while. If someone brings it to a potluck, it gets eaten before everything else.

I like these places:

http://www.pioperu.com/
Pio Peruvian Rotisserie Chicken Restaurant is a statement to authentic Peruvian cuisine bringing you the well renowned dish Pollo a la Brasa as well as other popular Peruvian favorites.

http://www.nandos.ca/ (actually started in South Africa)
flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #282
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I actually like KFC once in a while. If someone brings it to a potluck, it gets eaten before everything else.
I'm totally that guy. We do potlucks out at our cabin and I always forget to make something ahead of time so KFC it is. I also buy a couple of those McCain cakes to go with it.

Not all heroes wear capes.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #283
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

if it's a potluck and there's a KFC bucket amongst various other potato salad, soggy ham, gluten-free quinoa raisin mix, etc. of course the fried chicken is gonna go first. the question is, if there's KFC but someone also brings a box of Popeyes or Korean, will the KFC still get first cut...doubt that.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #284
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Go to Cluck N Cleaver at 1511 14 Street SW. Best fast food fried chicken in Calgary. Beats KFC, Chicken on the Way, Popeyes, etc.

I really wanted to like Cluck N Cleaver, but it was way too over seasoned and salty, if I recall correctly. Which was too bad because the coating was great and he chicken was really nicely cooked.

Maybe it has improved since its initial opening or it’s a personal taste thing.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #285
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'm totally that guy. We do potlucks out at our cabin and I always forget to make something ahead of time so KFC it is. I also buy a couple of those McCain cakes to go with it.

McCain cakes are the classic bachelor potluck item. Typically accompanied by a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #286
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
McCain cakes are the classic bachelor potluck item. Typically accompanied by a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.
I don't know what it is with those cakes but my God they are tasty. I've been tempted many times to try to eat an entire one to myself but I choose life.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #287
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

Spoiler!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #288
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if it's a potluck and there's a KFC bucket amongst various other potato salad, soggy ham, gluten-free quinoa raisin mix, etc. of course the fried chicken is gonna go first. the question is, if there's KFC but someone also brings a box of Popeyes or Korean, will the KFC still get first cut...doubt that.
I'm not sure there's anything worse than a potluck. In theory it sounds great, but it's always just ends up being a whole bunch of side dishes. Nobody wants to pony up to serve meat or something substantial to a large group of people (and understandably so, that would be expensive) so you just get a whole bunch of mediocre salads and cold pasta dishes.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #289
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I always assumed people simply love fried chicken as I don't understand why people would pay for KFC which is simply gross.
All fired chicken is kinda gross... and yet I still have cravings for it. It's weird, every once in a while I have a craving for fried chicken, I go get it, I eat it, I instantly remember why I don't eat it regularly (and then forget before the next time).

My doctor told me I have to cut down on bad cholesterol so not giving in to the craving for fried chicken was one of the easy decisions to make.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #290
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm not sure there's anything worse than a potluck. In theory it sounds great, but it's always just ends up being a whole bunch of side dishes. Nobody wants to pony up to serve meat or something substantial to a large group of people (and understandably so, that would be expensive) so you just get a whole bunch of mediocre salads and cold pasta dishes.
Yeah, work potlucks are usually pretty bad.

When we have parties, we'll do the meat and have our friends bring a bunch of side dishes and deserts. Works well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #291
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What you don't like 5 different types of bland meatballs covered in some type of goop in a slow cooker?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #292
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Go to Cluck N Cleaver at 1511 14 Street SW. Best fast food fried chicken in Calgary. Beats KFC, Chicken on the Way, Popeyes, etc.
Nah its really not. I like popeyes better.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #293
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Potlucks IMO are just tacky. It's one thing if its at work. It's entirely different if someone is hosting a potluck. If you are having people over to your place, you should provide the food. Instead of inconveniencing the host slightly more, you're inconveniencing a whole wack of people. And yeah, the food usually sucks. I end up eating gross humous that people have stuck their hands through...
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #294
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Potlucks IMO are just tacky. It's one thing if its at work. It's entirely different if someone is hosting a potluck. If you are having people over to your place, you should provide the food. Instead of inconveniencing the host slightly more, you're inconveniencing a whole wack of people. And yeah, the food usually sucks. I end up eating gross humous that people have stuck their hands through...
Yeah, I tend to agree. If you're going to invite people over, you should provide all/most of the food. It's one thing if somebody wants to bring dessert or some wine...it's a whole other thing to expect guests to cobble together a meal. It just comes across as kind of lazy, and the food mix is never right.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #295
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
All fried chicken is kinda gross
Just quoting as evidence there is such thing as a wrong opinion.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #296
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We host three of four parties a year with 8-12 adults and the same number of kids. We spend $200+ on the meat and snacks as it is. It's not even a money thing - the potluck is so we don't spend the entire day of the party cooking.

All of our friends do the same. It's a reciprocal thing that just makes it a little less stressful for people to host. In our circle, it's weird to show up for a party and not bring a salad or desert.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #297
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone try the new Chester's Fried Chicken in Bridlewood?

It's inside the Winks C-Store.
I don't usually frequent that store after a couple of bad experiences but I might go back if the chicken is good. And they have samosas.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #298
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Just had it in vegas the biscuits are disgusting had one bite couldnt finish the rest just way to salty for me.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #299
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I like these places:

http://www.pioperu.com/
Pio Peruvian Rotisserie Chicken Restaurant is a statement to authentic Peruvian cuisine bringing you the well renowned dish Pollo a la Brasa as well as other popular Peruvian favorites.

http://www.nandos.ca/ (actually started in South Africa)
flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken
A second vote for Nando’s. My son found it on YouTube and now we have it every time we come back to Calgary.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #300
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone tried Chicken on the Way's "Crispy Pepper Chicken"? I'm assuming it is to complete with Popeye's spicy fried chicken; a two piece meal is on special for $5 until the end of the month...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote