Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2024, 10:36 PM   #41
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the cop call your wife before beginning the pursuit or during?

Seems like he would have had to go faster than 110kph to catch up from first observing you, then getting the phone, having a brief conversation with your wife and then finally pulling you over.

Almost sounds like he was speeding and distracted driving just to catch up to somebody going the speed limit.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:45 PM   #42
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In Alberta can we foip request body and dashcam footage? Maybe I've been watching too many Lackluster vids.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:50 PM   #43
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who drove a 2WD regular cab F150 during Winnipeg's sh-tty winters for years on crappy Motomaster all-seasons, puh-leeeeeeeeeze. If you're a competent driver and account for distances and movements between you and the vehicles ahead of you, 100 KM/H this morning with a good full-time 4WD/AWD vehicle and gradual, careful movements of the steering wheel and brake/throttle application is just fine. The people who end up in the ditch are the ones hamfisting the wheel and slamming on the brakes at the worst possible moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
In Alberta can we foip request body and dashcam footage? Maybe I've been watching too many Lackluster vids.
Oh please, no dashcam footage, let's not turn this into /r/Calgary. Way too many people jump at the chance to post what amounts to "another day in traffic".

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-17-2024 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Qualified "4WD" with full-time, ie: not locking the diffs.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 10:51 PM   #44
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you do decide to file a complaint, make sure you ask your wife 100% EXACTLY what she said and what the police officer mentioned in the call.

If this does proceed and they pull video/audio from the car/camera and something different comes up, it can be embarrassing.

People, police included, sometimes forget what happened, what was said and more. When audio or visual proof comes out, then it's an altered story.

I am not saying anything specific about your wife, but police call from their work issued devices all the time in the course of their investigations from private numbers.

It's usually standard practice for officers to indicate they are CPS, their badge number, a police report/file number and more. If any concerns regarding the authenticity of this call, should be directed to the police non emergency line etc.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:09 PM   #45
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Oh please, no dashcam footage, let's not turn this into /r/Calgary. Way too many people jump at the chance to post what amounts to "another day in traffic".
I'm not saying post it here. You don't want video to protect you?
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:18 PM   #46
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, fair enough and that's a good question, actually.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:20 PM   #47
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
As someone who drove a 2WD regular cab F150 during Winnipeg's sh-tty winters for years on crappy Motomaster all-seasons, puh-leeeeeeeeeze. If you're a competent driver and account for distances and movements between you and the vehicles ahead of you, 100 KM/H this morning with a good full-time 4WD/AWD vehicle and gradual, careful movements of the steering wheel and brake/throttle application is just fine. The people who end up in the ditch are the ones hamfisting the wheel and slamming on the brakes at the worst possible moment.

At least these hamfisters are protecting the rest of us by swapping to winters (I kid..).

I'll say the exception is regular highway driving. You get caught in a blizzard out there, you need the best tires possible under your vehicle because of those high speeds in remote areas that wont see a plow or gravel/salting. At least with regulat in-city driving you should be able to maintain control of your vehicle traveling at speeds of 30-60 easily with controlled movements & braking and allowance of a gap.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:26 PM   #48
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who has probably made probably hundreds of those phone calls, there’s a litany of reasons to phone the registered owner. Driver not matching the registered owner is a very common one. CPS would only have access to the main registered owner (which lists physical description). Maybe they were the subject of a complaint from the public and we’re following up. I’ve warned registered owners over the phone a lot when it’s not worth the effort to pull them over, it’s only going to be educational, etc.

File a complaint through Calgary Police Professional Standards if you feel the demeanour wasn’t professional. Phoning a registered owner of a vehicle wouldn’t really be anything out of the ordinary though.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:34 PM   #49
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
As someone who has probably made probably hundreds of those phone calls, there’s a litany of reasons to phone the registered owner. Driver not matching the registered owner is a very common one. CPS would only have access to the main registered owner (which lists physical description). Maybe they were the subject of a complaint from the public and we’re following up. I’ve warned registered owners over the phone a lot when it’s not worth the effort to pull them over, it’s only going to be educational, etc.

File a complaint through Calgary Police Professional Standards if you feel the demeanour wasn’t professional. Phoning a registered owner of a vehicle wouldn’t really be anything out of the ordinary though.
Call more crazy dodge ram owners for educational purposes please.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:42 PM   #50
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e
Phoning a registered owner of a vehicle wouldn’t really be anything out of the ordinary though.

Especially then, because that time of the morning (5:30-7) is prime time for the "I was warming it up" type of auto thefts.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:44 PM   #51
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Phoning a registered owner of a vehicle wouldn’t really be anything out of the ordinary though.
Is that really the issue here? Assuming the account is accurate.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:45 PM   #52
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that really the issue here? Assuming the account is accurate.
Just responding to some people who thought phoning the owner was inappropriate.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:47 PM   #53
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Just responding to some people who thought phoning the owner was inappropriate.
Understood. But you have to know phone scams are rampant, I don't trust a single thing anyone says that calls and I don't know who they are. Do you expect me to? I don't care who they say they are people can say and claim anything that's how people get scammed.

"this is CRA calling" etc.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:49 PM   #54
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

What would the scam be?

“Hello, this is CPS, who is driving your vehicle right now?”

“My husband.”

“GOT YOU IDIOT, JUST DRAINED YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:50 PM   #55
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Understood. But you have to know phone scams are rampant, I don't trust a single thing anyone says that calls and I don't know who they are. Do you expect me to? I don't care who they say they are people can say and claim anything that's how people get scammed.

"this is CRA calling" etc.
I mean, I have no idea how this phone call goes with the OP’s wife. In a perfect world, you’re advised to phone non-emergency with a badge number and name to verify if it’s a cop. Alternatively, I’ve sent emails from @calgarypolice.ca to verify.

Has become a very difficult part of the job in general to deal with.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:56 PM   #56
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Eh, the whole situation is weird and the cop sounds like a dick (I’ve interacted with cops that have this exact same demeanour and they shock) but I drive this morning as well and can tell you without a doubt it was stupid to drive 100 on all-seasons given the conditions. So, I’d take the lump.

What winters did you buy? What all-seasons are you on? There might be varying levels of difference, but winters are just better than all-seasons all around. That’s not opinion, that’s science. You can’t compare one winter to another and say how one tire performed against another in a different situation a year later based on subjective experience and expect it to hold any sort of truth.

This would read slightly less dorky if it actually happened. What a shame.
Oh I was pro-The Science until those winters genuinely disappointed me with how obnoxiously loud they were for making little observable difference. Mind you the precision of said observations was likely flawed.

Not even sure any more on the model as they've been banished to a dark corner in storage, but I think it was one of General Tire's winter sets bought through Canadian Tire. I think they have #### tire selection there though (a touch ironic) so if I get a set in the future it will be through Kaltire like I used to do.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:59 PM   #57
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What would the scam be?

“My husband.”

“GOT YOU IDIOT, JUST DRAINED YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.”
You're not that bright.

“My husband.”

“Your husband has been in a car accident you need to come to X address.”

Wife goes to leave the house thieves gain entry. Don't know about in Calgary but I know someone this happened to, they used a phone call to lure a person out of the house.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:00 AM   #58
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah yes, CPS's call center dept.. based in Kolkata.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:02 AM   #59
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

removed

Last edited by zamler; 01-18-2024 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:06 AM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You're not that bright.

“My husband.”

“Your husband has been in a car accident you need to come to X address.”

Wife goes to leave the house thieves gain entry. Don't know about in Calgary but I know someone this happened to, they used a phone call to lure a person out of the house.
Sounds like the person who fell for it was the one who isn’t very bright, since that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote