Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2024, 08:11 PM   #21
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
AWD makes zero difference in emergency braking situations. I agree with your statement things Usually Go Fine. The problem with driving is you have to drive with other drivers who cut into your gaps. Given how people in general suck. I like adding to my margin.

Buying winter tires for acceleration issues seems odds, while annoying to everyone around you and backs up traffic it doesn’t create an immediate safety issue. It’s all about stopping distance.
That's why we drive defensively and anticipate stupidity when on calgary roads. Always being on the lookout for that is arguably the best tool.

I agree with adding margins. But i invested in winters last year and they hardly made a difference over my all-seasond despite having a 4.5 star average rating from people that purchased them. Still slid like I did with AS when thing deep froze, really brought no added comfort and the road noise from them was 10x worse than AS tires.

Wasn't up to dropping more on a different set this year.. put on my AS with the most tread and have felt fairly comfortable even in the last two weeks. Just takes behavioral adjustment and more focus on surroundings when traveling.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:14 PM   #22
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calling your wife was out of line.
I'd be making a complaint.

If they didn't like your driving, just pull you over.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:15 PM   #23
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Calling your wife was out of line.
I'd be making a complaint.

If they didn't like your driving, just pull you over.
They called the number on the registration to tell them to slow down because it's safer than pulling someone to the side of the road in those conditions

Doesn't excuse being a dick about it, but the call itself makes sense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:18 PM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
No passenger in car.
I missed the part where she was at home. Her number probably came up first on CPIC.

I hate defending cops so I'll add that you know what he meant by "have a talk with my wife to tell her how to behave on the phone when the police call"... Keep your woman in line.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:22 PM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

What law would be cited here? I'm guessing this section of the AB Traffic Safety Act? Is there somewhere where the appropriate fines or penalties are actually laid out because I don't know where to look for that.

Driving at appropriate speed

2(1) A person shall not do any of the following:

(a) notwithstanding that a speed limit is prescribed by or pursuant to the Act or any other Act in respect of a highway, drive a vehicle on that highway at any rate of speed that is unreasonable having regard to all the circumstances, including without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the following:

(i) the nature, condition and use of the highway;

(ii) the atmospheric, weather or other conditions that might affect the visibility of the driver or the control of the vehicle;

(iii) the amount of traffic that is or that might reasonably be expected to be on the highway;

(iv) the mechanical condition of the vehicle or any equipment on the vehicle;

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-17-2024 at 08:24 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:37 PM   #26
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no way for your wife to verify who was actually calling so the officer being annoyed by her reaction is just ridiculous. She can't just assume the caller is legit and then start giving out information to a stranger. There are way too may scammers out there.

I don't even answer calls if I don't recognize the number.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:43 PM   #27
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It is within the right of a police officer to give you a ticket for driving the speed limit when the weather or driving conditions is/are hazardous.

Slow down.
Absolutely. All the other parts are grotesque, and you are a shatty humans if you disagree.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
He called to tell you to slow down. I can understand your wife being skeptical but having someone call her, knowing who she was, saying they're CPS right after you passed some should have made her clue in. It would have saved you from being pulled over.

You say you're a better driver but better drivers have winter tires on their vehicles and don't pass cops in poor driving conditions. And I'm not being "holier than" because I have bad habits myself.
Huh? His wife wasn’t in the car with him, afaik.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-17-2024, 09:13 PM   #29
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Why does it not make sense? The cop saw who was driving when they were passed and called the passenger. They didn't want to have to speed up to pull him over so they just called. The wife wasn't cooperative, and here we are.
Because calling a person creates two distracted drivers and does nothing improve safety more than flashing his lights at the person would.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:17 PM   #30
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am totally blanking on the fact that we provide phone numbers when we register cars? It's kinda funny, I can picture myself going into several different registries over the years to do it, but there is a totally blank space for the actual process/interaction of getting it done besides handing over pink card and previous reg or BOS.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:18 PM   #31
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a ridiculous thing for a cop to say to you regarding tour wife. Clearly just trying to throw his weight around to see if he will get a reaction.

The thing I will say is that we all have that one lunatic coworker so maybe the people in uniform should get a pass for this behavior.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:25 PM   #32
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

The call to your wife was weird, and the comments about it seem weird too. I think it's common for them to pull you over if they think you're driving to fast for the conditions, it's usually just a courtesy though and they won't give you a ticket. It's always a little awkward passing a cop on the highway though isn't it?
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:27 PM   #33
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Eh, the whole situation is weird and the cop sounds like a dick (I’ve interacted with cops that have this exact same demeanour and they shock) but I drive this morning as well and can tell you without a doubt it was stupid to drive 100 on all-seasons given the conditions. So, I’d take the lump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
That's why we drive defensively and anticipate stupidity when on calgary roads. Always being on the lookout for that is arguably the best tool.

I agree with adding margins. But i invested in winters last year and they hardly made a difference over my all-seasond despite having a 4.5 star average rating from people that purchased them. Still slid like I did with AS when thing deep froze, really brought no added comfort and the road noise from them was 10x worse than AS tires.

Wasn't up to dropping more on a different set this year.. put on my AS with the most tread and have felt fairly comfortable even in the last two weeks. Just takes behavioral adjustment and more focus on surroundings when traveling.
What winters did you buy? What all-seasons are you on? There might be varying levels of difference, but winters are just better than all-seasons all around. That’s not opinion, that’s science. You can’t compare one winter to another and say how one tire performed against another in a different situation a year later based on subjective experience and expect it to hold any sort of truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I feel for you, because you’re about to get slammed by the “holier than” crowd on CP.
This would read slightly less dorky if it actually happened. What a shame.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:40 PM   #34
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The delta between AS and winters may not be that noticeable [until you really need it] when it is either just snowy+not that cold or just really cold+dry, but this morning was -20C and a lot of snow...the difference would be significant
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 09:50 PM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Huh? His wife wasn’t in the car with him, afaik.
Yeah I addressed that in post 24. We're only hearing one side of the story and I think it's possible she could've handled the call better but the cop decided to be a dick regardless.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:52 PM   #36
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird story.

Who doesn't say no thanks to a private number call?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 10:15 PM   #37
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Weird story.

Who doesn't say no thanks to a private number call?
I've got the curiosity of a cat. I answer every time. Can't help myself.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 10:18 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the cop called the number hoping the driver would pick up so he could nail him for distracted driving?
Old 01-17-2024, 10:22 PM   #39
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Strangest cop story I've heard in a long time. Get a ####ing dashcam with interior facing camera already no excuses.

You wife has no obligation to talk to the police or anyone else I can't believe they called her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I wonder if the cop called the number hoping the driver would pick up so he could nail him for distracted driving?
Maybe, but most modern vehicles do hands free calling.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:31 PM   #40
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who doesn’t set their phone to only allow calls from specific people during their sleep period? If CPS doesn’t want to get my voicemail they can wait until 9:00.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote