Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2024, 07:14 PM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I was pulled over today.

I was driving to work this morning after 530 and traveling 100 km which was the posted speed limit, despite what I totally admit were not ideal conditions. I saw and passed 2 CPS vehicles that were in the center lane and going less than the speed limit.

Shortly after, my wife was awoken at home with a phone call from a private number and a male simply asking "(wife's first name), who is driving your vehicle?" She initially thought it was our neighbor and was confused due to the very early wake up call. While processing the question, the caller said "this is the CPS. Who is driving your (year, make, mode)l vehicle."

Because she didn't know who the caller truly was and initially thought it could be a scam, she said "I don't think so." The officers reply was "fine, if you want to play it that way" and my wife hung up.

A few minutes later, I was pulled over, I turned on my interior lights, and gave them license, reg, etc. The officer told me that he thought I was traveling too fast for the conditions and specifically mentioned that he was tempted to give me a ticked based on the way my wife spoke to him on the phone. I didn't know about the call at that time. He asked if I noticed the 2 cars I passed in the ditch. I had - they were there yesterday when I drove home. He asked if I thought I was driving at an appropriate speed. I told him I did indeed pass his vehicle but never went above the posted speed limit unless he had radar that proved otherwise.

He asked me if I had winter tires and if I felt comfortable driving the way I was in those conditions. I explained that I had all season tires (which were less than a month old) and because I travel so much for work, and all across the country, I am very accustomed to driving in all weather conditions and didn't feel I was being reckless whatsoever.

He mentioned how he did not appreciate having to drive 110 km/h in order to catch up on me to pull me over. I again stated that I was only going 100 km an hour and was comfortable driving these conditions.

He then gave me back my license, told me to slow down and said that he would not give me a ticket based on my personal demeanor but in the same breath also suggested I have a talk with my wife to tell her how to behave on the phone when the police call. Then was free to go.

Questions:

If I was in the wrong, why would a officer choose to run the plates, get the owners number and call instead of simply pulling me over as soon as I passed them?

I'm really ticked that based on his own words, me getting pulled over seemed to be nothing more than a vindictive power trip because my wife refusal to answer questions from a private number.

I do fully understand that the posted speed limit is for ideal conditions and that the weather was less than ideal this morning. I get that. I drive 50-60k/year in all provinces and all conditions. I'm far from invincible and happily drive slower when in adverse conditions but did not feel as though today's road conditions warranted me going slower. The interaction clearly worked though as I drove 80-90 on my way home and sneered at the Dodge Rams who flew by me while doing the posted 100km

And then the question is: What IS the speed you are supposed to go? Does 3cms of snow automatically mean I have to drive 90 in a 100 zone? Less? How am I supposed to determine that next time aside from maybe not actually passing a CPS vehicle even when not technically speeding. And how do officers determine driver capability? I'd argue I'm a better driver than most who haven't driven much in snow. It all just seems very subjective.

Wife and I both have a great deal of respect for anyone in uniform but this interaction really sours me and I feel as though the offices conduct lacked professionalism.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 07:23 PM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is within the right of a police officer to give you a ticket for driving the speed limit when the weather or driving conditions is/are hazardous.

Slow down.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 07:24 PM   #3
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Did you happen to get a badge number? I’d call his superior and have a chat.

F### that cop for calling your wife like that and not explaining anything. That would freak me the hell out if CPS called me like that and hung up. I’d be terrified that my partner was killed or something.

Sure you can get cranky about somebody driving faster that what you feel is acceptable that happens all the time but calling your wife before pulling you over. #### that noise.

Edit to add: I’ve gotten the ticket (30 years ago) for driving to fast for road conditions. It was a fair ticket, I deserved it

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:24 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So giving the officer all the benefit of the doubt for a minute.

He sees you go past him, he thinks you are going way faster than you are because he’s going say 70.( Did you pass him on left or right?) and you go 100 and that 30 k feels like a lot. So he thinks the car is stolen.

He runs the plate, sees it registered to a women. He phones your wife for info from unknown number to check if it’s stolen. Your wife acts understandably cautious. Police officer thinks your car is stolen so pulls you over.

Then when he sees your your wife’s husband is embarrassed. As opposed to apologizing and explaining he thought it might be stolen and ending the interaction he blames your wife because he is embarrassed he screwed up.

I’d complain based on the phone being entirely unprofressional and threatening to give you a ticket for your wife’s behaviour. That’s ridiculous.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 07:30 PM   #5
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So giving the officer all the benefit of the doubt for a minute.

He sees you go past him, he thinks you are going way faster than you are because he’s going say 70.( Did you pass him on left or right?) and you go 100 and that 30 k feels like a lot. So he thinks the car is stolen.

He runs the plate, sees it registered to a women. He phones your wife for info from unknown number to check if it’s stolen. Your wife acts understandably cautious. Police officer thinks your car is stolen so pulls you over.

Then when he sees your your wife’s husband is embarrassed. As opposed to apologizing and explaining he thought it might be stolen and ending the interaction he blames your wife because he is embarrassed he screwed up.

I’d complain based on the phone being entirely unprofressional and threatening to give you a ticket for your wife’s behaviour. That’s ridiculous.
Do people drive stolen cars at high speed? If I was stealing a car I'd drive way more cautiously then I usually do.

(Generally speaking I don't steal cars and do drive faster than the speed limit...)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 07:31 PM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel for you, because you’re about to get slammed by the “holier than” crowd on CP. t To me, other than the potentially stolen vehicle angle, they shouldn’t be pulling you over for that. It’s ridiculous.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:34 PM   #7
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm confused as to why the officer called your wife.

In Alberta do the police see a car they think is speeding, run the plate, check the registered owner, cross-reference the owner's phone number, call the owner and be like "hey, do you mind pulling over for me?"

That makes no sense to me.

Like, let's say OP was driving 200kmh, why is the officer calling the registered owner?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 07:38 PM   #8
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are they calling your home?

I'm not sure I can side with either party as right or wrong, but the calling of your wife as part of their protocol seems strange. Spouses or children driving a registrant's vehicle is a very common occurrence.

Just pull the vehicle over if there's a perceived issue.

If they're expecting a kind or thoughtful response at 5:30 AM then that's silly, and her "tone" or whatever shouldn't play into whether they pull you over or not.

They're not necessarily in the wrong if they think you're going too fast for the conditions, but adding in the layer about calling your home and your wife's demeanor is unnecessary dressing on top. What exactly are we policing here? Road behavior should be the primary issue of concern, unless there's a reported theft.

But also if you were going 100 on the mark then there's certainly bigger fish to fry as you can watch that road for 10 minutes before some bozo exceeding the limit in poor conditions will come ripping through.

Overall a little eyebrow raising to me, but not seeing a side that's right or wrong.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-17-2024 at 07:43 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:40 PM   #9
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Do people drive stolen cars at high speed? If I was stealing a car I'd drive way more cautiously then I usually do.

(Generally speaking I don't steal cars and do drive faster than the speed limit...)

so much for "drive it like you stole it!" ha!
Old 01-17-2024, 07:43 PM   #10
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love all seasons tires in well below freezing with snow accumulation being justified because you don’t feel it’s a risk.

Cop seems like a knob, but damn I wish we had winter tire laws.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:48 PM   #11
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good all-seasons aren't even bad in these conditions so long as the driver knows how to operate safely with them (if we're talking an AWD vehicle of course).

White knuckling, sudden breaking and or turning is what gets you into trouble.

If you're coasting to stops, giving yourself stopping room, and easing into turns then things usually go fine.

Any FWD sedan needs quality tires. They're the first victims to get stuck or spin out somewhere.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:50 PM   #12
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

He called to tell you to slow down. I can understand your wife being skeptical but having someone call her, knowing who she was, saying they're CPS right after you passed some should have made her clue in. It would have saved you from being pulled over.

You say you're a better driver but better drivers have winter tires on their vehicles and don't pass cops in poor driving conditions. And I'm not being "holier than" because I have bad habits myself.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:53 PM   #13
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I feel for you, because you’re about to get slammed by the “holier than” crowd on CP. t To me, other than the potentially stolen vehicle angle, they shouldn’t be pulling you over for that. It’s ridiculous.
I was absolutely ready for the "slow down" answers. Justified too.

Two clarification points:

I passed on the left, not the right.

I am the co-owner of the vehicle as well and my name is on all paperwork. They called my wifes cell number. I'm assuming (but can't be sure) if my own cell number is there as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 07:53 PM   #14
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This is a bizarre story. I had no idea they phone you if they perceive an issue. Very strange.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:00 PM   #15
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Good all-seasons aren't even bad in these conditions so long as the driver knows how to operate safely with them (if we're talking an AWD vehicle of course).

White knuckling, sudden breaking and or turning is what gets you into trouble.

If you're coasting to stops, giving yourself stopping room, and easing into turns then things usually go fine.

Any FWD sedan needs quality tires. They're the first victims to get stuck or spin out somewhere.
AWD makes zero difference in emergency braking situations. I agree with your statement things Usually Go Fine. The problem with driving is you have to drive with other drivers who cut into your gaps. Given how people in general suck. I like adding to my margin.

Buying winter tires for acceleration issues seems odds, while annoying to everyone around you and backs up traffic it doesn’t create an immediate safety issue. It’s all about stopping distance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 PM   #16
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This is a bizarre story. I had no idea they phone you if they perceive an issue. Very strange.
A) If there's time to call you first, is it even an immediate issue?
B) If they call you while you're behind the wheel, isn't that going to provide added distraction (since you'll see the caller ID on a modern vehicle and feel obligated to answe)?
Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 PM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I was absolutely ready for the "slow down" answers. Justified too.

Two clarification points:

I passed on the left, not the right.

I am the co-owner of the vehicle as well and my name is on all paperwork. They called my wifes cell number. I'm assuming (but can't be sure) if my own cell number is there as well.
There goes my benefit of the doubt argument. The phone call makes no sense now unless he was calling you to try to give you a cell phone ticket
Old 01-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #18
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acab
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #19
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
There goes my benefit of the doubt argument. The phone call makes no sense now unless he was calling you to try to give you a cell phone ticket
Why does it not make sense? The cop saw who was driving when they were passed and called the passenger. They didn't want to have to speed up to pull him over so they just called. The wife wasn't cooperative, and here we are.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:11 PM   #20
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Why does it not make sense? The cop saw who was driving when they were passed and called the passenger. They didn't want to have to speed up to pull him over so they just called. The wife wasn't cooperative, and here we are.

No passenger in car.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post: