Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2024, 02:21 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well for example when we would go over to their place no one wants to go in to the sauna - but people want to go in hot tubs. Can set up a tv to watch sports. Etc.
I wouldn't want other people or my kids' friends to get in a hot tub with me, though. I'm not looking for a social thing...more of a meditative one for me, my wife and our kids if they want. I also don't want a tv or anything. I just want to wander out there in the nothing but a robe, climb in nude and chill by myself or with my wife. Sounds very relaxing to me. If my kids want in at the same time we'll all wear trunks.

I hear what you're saying, but I think I have a different goal than your friends had, so I don't think their experience will be like mine due to different expectations and plans of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I dont understand the appeal of dry sauna's at home. We have been looking at pre-owned homes in some neighborhoods that are from the 70's and 80's and have come across these abominations in basements quite regularly. Dank gross looking things that I would rip out immediately. I would take an outdoor hot tub over one of these any day.
Aren't those Infrared? They don't get as hot, I believe. It's also like comparing an indoor bathtub to an outdoor hot tub. Same thing, kinda, but ultimately pretty different.

Last edited by Sliver; 01-15-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 02:23 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the words of the almost immortal Colonel Gentleman:

"I dont want to get clean! I want to get Filthy!!"

Although I do like Saunas. Going to the Nordic Spa is amazing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 02:24 PM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
We share the same goal. I'm looking to put in a banya style sauna that is dry by default but gives you the option to pour water on hot rocks to make steam to your liking. I thought there would be a lot of examples of blueprints out there given how popular this is in Finland, but I have found nothing suitable.

Also want to install a cold plunge and a warm pool so we can do the whole cycle.

I plan on using a gas connection already in place to heat the sauna, and tie the warm pool into my tankless water heater. The cold plunge... I was thinking it would just end up being some kind of ghetto deep freeze with a half dead compressor so it gets things cold but not frozen in warm months, and put a cattle trough warmer in it during cold months.

I am also concerned about long term maintenance of the warm pool, but it doesn't seem like an insurmountable issue.
https://scandiamfg.com/products/40k-...s-sauna-heater

I have gas close to where I want to put the sauna as well. I did find that heater, but it seems pretty uncommon to heat these with gas and I'm not sure why.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 02:29 PM   #24
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
https://scandiamfg.com/products/40k-...s-sauna-heater

I have gas close to where I want to put the sauna as well. I did find that heater, but it seems pretty uncommon to heat these with gas and I'm not sure why.

I think it being a confined space, even the possibility of a CO leak is bad news. Electric removes that concern entirely.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 02:42 PM   #25
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saunas are very energy efficient. You only have them on when you use them and they require no electricity when you do not. Compare that to a hot tub that is being heated all the time.
But more than a string of deck lights.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
But more than a string of deck lights.
Yes?
Old 01-15-2024, 03:33 PM   #27
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
What happened to conserving energy and doing our part to reduce overall energy demand? Now you want an electric sweat shack to sit around in?
Does doing this ever get exhausting?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:10 PM   #28
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't want other people or my kids' friends to get in a hot tub with me, though. I'm not looking for a social thing...more of a meditative one for me, my wife and our kids if they want. I also don't want a tv or anything. I just want to wander out there in the nothing but a robe, climb in nude and chill by myself or with my wife. Sounds very relaxing to me. If my kids want in at the same time we'll all wear trunks.

I hear what you're saying, but I think I have a different goal than your friends had, so I don't think their experience will be like mine due to different expectations and plans of use.
Precisely this. This is for me, and my wife. We have a south facing yard that gives us awesome views of big skies, storms and moonlight. I'm building the entire thing as a shrine to the moon, of sorts. I'm doing it because I'm weird and it feels good.

If the kids or our friends get some enjoyment out of it sometimes, then that's awesome but it is not in the top five design priorities.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 04:37 PM   #29
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a couple of buddies with both the outdoor sauna and the outdoor hot tub. I've been to both of their places and have partaken multiple times in all 4 activities. For me, they're awesome. I actually prefer the hot tub in the winter because your body is hot af but it's like -15 or whatever outside. It's amazing.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:39 PM   #30
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This man, 100%. Both of my friends who have them were single at the time and we had some LAAAADIES (said in Bill Burr voice) with us in the tub and it's a great time. Enjoy it with your significant other and it's well worth the buy.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 05:05 PM   #31
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Aren't those Infrared? They don't get as hot, I believe. It's also like comparing an indoor bathtub to an outdoor hot tub. Same thing, kinda, but ultimately pretty different.
The house I grew up in had such a sauna and it had an electric heating element, akin to an oven.

No one ever really used it, but I still love the smell of hot cedar.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 07:20 PM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We are using a two person Spaberry hot tub. Very easy maintenance and only 2 people are using it.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:24 PM   #33
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This is a great idea and can work as a secret entrance to your underground bunker.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 07:32 PM   #34
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
We are using a two person Spaberry hot tub. Very easy maintenance and only 2 people are using it.
I have a friend with one of those and he absolutely loves it. They're pretty neat and I like the small footprint.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:08 PM   #35
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The spaberries taste like spaberries!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:22 AM   #36
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, anybody have one of these? I think they look cool AF and I find them a lot more appealing than a hot tub. I'm considering a cedar barrel sauna with a little tiny porch. There seem to be a few places that sell them in Calgary.

We're thinking of going electric. Anybody have one? Do you use it? Do they suck? I wouldn't want a wood-heated one because they take too long to stoke up. Electric ones you can fire up with an app.
Have you tried the ones at Nordic Spa?

I thought about this concept before in my own back yard, but I had a hard time figuring out how to do it because I kinda hoped it could be multi use winter and summer. I don't really think I could use a sauna in the summer. Plus price point wise, I just couldn't justify several grand to tens of thousands for such a project.

That either led me down the path of saunas that could double as a change room in the summer, but that made no sense because what would I need a change room in my back yard for. Or crazy expensive Hele brand one way mirror glass saunas, which again, no idea how often I'd use it. I did basically land on the idea I'd love a place to lounge and have big open glass to just look out at the night sky and whatnot, like maybe a campfire replacement, but much warmer and less bugs.

That sorta ended up sending me down the path towards a Geodesic dome which I wondered if it might be possible to convert to a glamping dome in the summer, then convert back to sauna for the winter... but holy crap those prices! I'm better off going to the Nordic spa for the next decade!

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:03 PM   #37
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My family and I bought two Tenne Niklas Saunas from Boreal Shores Log Structures. So far, they've been excellent! Really enjoyable in winter and summer.

They are a kit style sauna and came with everything. Really easy and fun to assemble. They are shipped from Estonia.

https://tene.ee/en/product/sauna-niklas-with-a-terrace/

https://borealshoreslogstructures.ca...atalog/saunas/

I'm not sure what the final price was, but will check.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 09:47 AM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
My family and I bought two Tenne Niklas Saunas from Boreal Shores Log Structures. So far, they've been excellent! Really enjoyable in winter and summer.

They are a kit style sauna and came with everything. Really easy and fun to assemble. They are shipped from Estonia.

https://tene.ee/en/product/sauna-niklas-with-a-terrace/

https://borealshoreslogstructures.ca...atalog/saunas/

I'm not sure what the final price was, but will check.
Those look cool!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:08 AM   #39
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Have you tried the ones at Nordic Spa?

I thought about this concept before in my own back yard, but I had a hard time figuring out how to do it because I kinda hoped it could be multi use winter and summer. I don't really think I could use a sauna in the summer. Plus price point wise, I just couldn't justify several grand to tens of thousands for such a project.

That either led me down the path of saunas that could double as a change room in the summer, but that made no sense because what would I need a change room in my back yard for. Or crazy expensive Hele brand one way mirror glass saunas, which again, no idea how often I'd use it. I did basically land on the idea I'd love a place to lounge and have big open glass to just look out at the night sky and whatnot, like maybe a campfire replacement, but much warmer and less bugs.

That sorta ended up sending me down the path towards a Geodesic dome which I wondered if it might be possible to convert to a glamping dome in the summer, then convert back to sauna for the winter... but holy crap those prices! I'm better off going to the Nordic spa for the next decade!

Haha, my backyard is way too basic bitch for that. I don't have good views and some of my neighbours' houses look down somewhat into my yard.

I actually like the idea better of a cozy and dark little cave for this.

Those domes look totally awesome, but just not quite my style. I'll come use yours if you get one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 10:09 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Electrician coming today so we'll see how big of a kick to the nuts this will be. Looks like the sauna with stove is in the $7k - $8.5k range for what I want, but just need to figure out the panel upgrade cost (as well as running an outlet to where I'd plug it in).