Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2024, 03:21 PM   #281
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The problem is people in the option 2 scenario chose to coast in when if they had continued at speed would have safely made it through the intersection after entering the dilemma zone. Thr timing of the yellow and Red/Red phase has already allowed for people going through the intersection on yellow.

I agree in the no chance scenario or speed up scenario it could help. However I think the practical application is that people slow down early rather than entering the intersection on yellow. This reduces through put.
Do you really thing there are people out there who would prefer to stop at a yellow/red than go through on a green? I know there are lots of lunatics in this world, but i don't know haw many are that crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I didn’t say less safe. I said less throughput.

Though your article does highlight an interesting effect that might make up for the loss of throughput. It identified that people start accelerating faster from red so that might help. It also might lead to more collisions from red light runners.

If you look at that article it says that it increased the likelihood that a driver in the dilemma zone would stop. I contend that this doesn’t actually improve safety as the light timing already addresses the dilemma zone.

The other problem from a design side is in down town areas where you want to have dedicated green time for right turns. So you want the pedestrian signal to stop pedestrians but allow traffic.
I'm surprised that you value the last marginal throughput vehicle in an intersection over safety* (despite it being an insufferably overused justification for everything). Vast majority of accidents happen at intersections https://data.calgary.ca/Transportati...ents/yj8z-ptzu, and signal turning yellow is almost certainly the most dangerous time at a signalled intersection (and I suspect people highly overrate rear-end risk).

For one thing, there's a pretty good chance that waiting one light cycle will end up inconsequential to your total trip time.

Aside from the economic impact and resource allocation from accidents, the subsequent delays caused are always more significant than the dispersed gains from getting one more car through.

I don't think it's nearly as hard to stop at yellows as the Royal We tend to claim. We just want to get through. But I know I get caught every now and then in the dilemma zone on a yellow and think for a quarter-second: "screw it - I'm good to make it" ...but in that span my brain will identify the car planning to left turn across me on yellow and that I still have plenty of time to stop under firm (but not crazy hard) braking.

90% of the time that we say "it was safer to go through" we are full of ####. Myself included.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 10:26 AM   #282
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hence why many high accident intersections have red light cameras.

When the city first put them in, there was actually a huge delay (it was around 15 seconds) when the light turned red and they'd take a picture.

They still caught people.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:30 AM   #283
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It sounds like fun. I inherited a nice Garrett metal detector, but I am hesitant to go out with it cause of the stigma of metal detecting.
I almost glossed over this but the word stigma has been niggling at my brain. It’s only an issue if you let be, metal detecting is an enjoyable hobby for lots of people.
I tried it and found it didn’t match my tastes. Even the detectors designed to find gold don’t have any luck in Alberta, they can find nuggets but gold here is a fine dust.
Detectors will find jewelry and coins and bottle caps- lots of bottle caps.
If you want to try it out go to a playground with sand base and check around the swings, you can find all the bobby pins and barrettes and nails and do a good deed for the neighborhood.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:49 AM   #284
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It sounds like fun. I inherited a nice Garrett metal detector, but I am hesitant to go out with it cause of the stigma of metal detecting.
What's the stigma?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 12:18 PM   #285
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

An unscrupulous detector will dig holes in your lawn and leave them unrepaired.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:36 PM   #286
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I almost glossed over this but the word stigma has been niggling at my brain. It’s only an issue if you let be, metal detecting is an enjoyable hobby for lots of people.
I tried it and found it didn’t match my tastes. Even the detectors designed to find gold don’t have any luck in Alberta, they can find nuggets but gold here is a fine dust.
If you want to try it out go to a playground with sand base and check around the swings, you can find all the bobby pins and barrettes and nails and do a good deed for the neighborhood.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that there's not going to be a lot of stuff to find here in Alberta, so I guess it would be pretty boring, as opposed to taking it to a coastal area to find more interesting things than bottle caps and nails.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:43 PM   #287
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An unscrupulous detector will dig holes in your lawn and leave them unrepaired.
I think you could’ve stopped at “dig holes in your lawn”? I don’t really want that, regardless of whether you plan on repairing them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM   #288
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your wife can say whatever she wants on the phone to anybody. That's an absolutely fraudulent basis to justify handing out traffic tickets.

Total power trip. If you had a recording and did receive a ticket, I would have taken it to court.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #289
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
What's the stigma?
Same as gold prospectors. Loners up to no good you never know what they're scheming.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 12:26 PM   #290
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally caught up with this thread. What a bizarre scenario. Sorry you had to go through that JonDuke. I can understand why the cops called, but the attitude and professionalism issue is kinda bizarre.

RE the wife aspect, if my wife got a call like that, I think she'd behave like JonDuke's wife too. Some posters who say, "Oh, do things this way instead. Why would the person be confused? Verify." Umm... props to you and your wives, but my wife would be absolutely confused by a call like that, especially at 5-6 AM. I've explained and told my wife what to do in accidents before and I have a checklist of instructions in the glove in case there was an accident... and when she got into a fender bender, instead of thinking of that, I got a screaming panicked phone call. I had to tell her what to do, step by step, figure out how to explain what was happening (without actually being there), tell her to take a crap ton of clear pictures and videos of the intersection, vehicles etc.

Even though we're both registered, if she got a call from a cop saying, "Who is driving your car?" she'd probably assume it meant it wasn't me and start off in a completely confused state (amplifying the situation). I agree with others that it wasn't that the OP's incident happened, it was how the incident unfolded that is the weird part of this.

I've driven past cops before without incident plenty of times doing speed limit, but never in inclement weather as I recall. The closest I recall that was kinda weird was driving past a cop (ghost car) in the left lane on Deerfoot maybe doing 103-104 kmph and then pulling out of the left lane to continue on doing 100 kmph. But I knew he was a cop. A few minutes later, I see a light flickering all over the place inside my car and I follow it for 6-8 seconds only to realize it's coming from outside my car from the ghost car in the left lane. There was a cop in the passenger seat shining a flashlight into my car with a scrunched annoyed looking expression. Perhaps he was checking to make sure I wasn't distracted driving or something? (which I wasn't) I look at him with a shocked look and waved at him and immediately the vehicle took off and then started flashing lights to pull over a vehicle about 150 metres in front of me. The only strange part of that interaction was the annoyed look and shining of the flash light. I wondered if it could have been argued he was trying to distract me, but at the same time, it was dusk. How else could he have seen inside a dark vehicle? So I just shrugged it off.

My wife actually commented during this incident that he could have tried to not look so annoyed as a form of professionalism. I told her that I probably would have pissed myself and accidentally run myself off the road thinking a psycho was going to target me if he was smiling. Therefore, his expression was probably appropriate.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:20 AM   #291
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I drove past an RCMP with confidence in Airdrie in December only to get pulled over. I had no idea why but he comes up and says it was nothing to do with your driving but you registration is expired. I could have sworn I paid for 2 years when I renewed online but the kicker was my wife got pulled over a few weeks earlier for the same thing and I hassled her for not renewing online. long story short she got a warning while I got a $300 ticket, right before Christmas.

Ultimately it was my fault but let me explain. When my wife got her warning I went the next day for her to renew her registration, The car is only in her name but the insurance is in both and I couldn't find the old registration so they wouldn't let me renew it but while on this process and me saying "That's why I renewed for 2 years online" they looked up my vehicle to see if both of us were on it and should have clearly seen my registration expired also in August and let me know.

I was literally 2 blocks from the registry when I got pulled over and immediately went and renewed for 2 years, I plead not guilty to the ticket with above and a picture showing the registration being paid 15min after the ticket time and asked them to throw the ticket out to avoid wasting everyones time. We will see what happens.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:32 AM   #292
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I drove past an RCMP with confidence in Airdrie in December only to get pulled over. I had no idea why but he comes up and says it was nothing to do with your driving but you registration is expired. I could have sworn I paid for 2 years when I renewed online but the kicker was my wife got pulled over a few weeks earlier for the same thing and I hassled her for not renewing online. long story short she got a warning while I got a $300 ticket, right before Christmas.

Ultimately it was my fault but let me explain. When my wife got her warning I went the next day for her to renew her registration, The car is only in her name but the insurance is in both and I couldn't find the old registration so they wouldn't let me renew it but while on this process and me saying "That's why I renewed for 2 years online" they looked up my vehicle to see if both of us were on it and should have clearly seen my registration expired also in August and let me know.

I was literally 2 blocks from the registry when I got pulled over and immediately went and renewed for 2 years, I plead not guilty to the ticket with above and a picture showing the registration being paid 15min after the ticket time and asked them to throw the ticket out to avoid wasting everyones time. We will see what happens.
I mean, good luck, but I will be surprised if they do. A friend of mine got a ticket for running a red light (or something of that sort, can't remember) and the cop wrote the details of his car down wrong. He tried to argue that in court that if the officer couldn't get the details right then how was the ticket valid. He ended up getting an even bigger fine which I have never heard of. Not being reduced sure but increasing? Some people are just out for a power trip.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:29 AM   #293
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
I mean, good luck, but I will be surprised if they do. A friend of mine got a ticket for running a red light (or something of that sort, can't remember) and the cop wrote the details of his car down wrong. He tried to argue that in court that if the officer couldn't get the details right then how was the ticket valid. He ended up getting an even bigger fine which I have never heard of. Not being reduced sure but increasing? Some people are just out for a power trip.
Did they say it was obstruction or misuse of court time or somethign?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:46 PM   #294
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably different but in Ontario no more license stickers but car still has to be registered. Company I work for has a fleet of cars, and one of them was in accident, and that was the one car that was missed in the renewal. The cop gave a ticket to the driver for driving without a sticker but told me if we went online and renewed it right away they would throw it out.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:57 PM   #295
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
I have detected on and off since I was a kid. A good high end detector can discriminate all the junk you don't want, but that also usually means Canadian coins get missed. Besides ignoring Canadian coins, the biggest hurdle in Canada is the lack of history to hunt for.
My biggest finds in Canada were a fake Rolex years ago and most recently a ring. Playgrounds are a never ending supply of toy cars - kids are happy to play with them again and again, you get to keep finding them in the sand and putting them back on the park benches

I have done the odd lost item request, recently sold my main detector but am already back in the market for another. The hobby gets dirty looks. I enjoy studying maps and figuring out where to go next.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:31 PM   #296
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't answer questions
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:32 PM   #297
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp: