Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2024, 07:51 AM   #21
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind the poverty has been really bad since Katrina, but the crime has increased significantly since COVID. There was a local guy who performed for the conference and told us about the area. I talked to him privately after the event about NO and he said the biggest change was that the school administration were the ones making sure kids got to school. Once COVID hit they shut the schools down and they've lost track of thousands of kids. There are efforts being made but the damage to a generation of kids may be permanent
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:57 AM   #22
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the architecture you can do a self guided walking tour of the Garden District, there is also a cemetery out there too that you can tour as well. Either find an app or print off map with instructions off the area, and ride a street car out there to get started. The homes of Trent Reznor, Sandra Bullock, and the house where Peyton and Eli Manningn grew up are all out there and you will appreciate everything from the yards and fences to the homes and history.

Stop by Pat O Brien’s for for a Hurricane, it’s a pretty cool bar. You can also check out the Carousel Bar and enjoy a Sazarac while rotating around. Mothers Restaurant on Poydras https://mothersrestaurant.net/menus/ for a Po Boy and the Acme Oyster House on Iberville for Chargrilled Oysters, a seafood platter and add on a soft shell crab. You can also try ‘gator there as well. Oh and get a Mufelata at Central Grocery which is out by the French Market. The market itself is pretty lame though, any meat (pepperoni) stick labeled as gator is 5-10% gator with the balance being beef or pork, disappointing.

Beignets and coffe at Cafe du Monde. Just don’t wear black pants, you’ll thank me later. Sucre for Macroons and while you are there, pick up an entire King Cake to take back to your room one night and just indulge yourself.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 01-27-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 09:55 AM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate everyone sharing concerns about safety, but is this relative to Canadian standards or American big city standards? I only ask because I was definitely shocked at the poverty/griminess/potential crime that occurs when I moved down here, but that seems to be all big cities if you're in the wrong area. I'm pretty used to that element...I live in Florida after all.

I guess I'm just wondering how much I need to be concerned above my normal amount of situational awareness in a city?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:51 AM   #24
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tell me about New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Oh yeah. Also try to find a good Sazerac. It's a similar drink to an old fashioned but with Rye whiskey instead of bourbon. Mmmmmmmmmm

Absinthe is a key ingredient too. It always makes me feel like I’m drinking something illicit, which of course makes it taste even better.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:06 AM   #25
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I appreciate everyone sharing concerns about safety, but is this relative to Canadian standards or American big city standards? I only ask because I was definitely shocked at the poverty/griminess/potential crime that occurs when I moved down here, but that seems to be all big cities if you're in the wrong area. I'm pretty used to that element...I live in Florida after all.

I guess I'm just wondering how much I need to be concerned above my normal amount of situational awareness in a city?
I've been to Seattle, Nashville, Austin, Orlando, Miami, and Dallas for extended periods. This was a level I've never seen

Edit: like, I've seen worse in certain spots, but it felt like it was harder to avoid in Nola because it was everywhere

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 01-27-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 11:33 AM   #26
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh man, New Orleans is a giant #### hole but it is an amazing #### hole. I love that place. I have been for guys trips/football and work.

Coop's Place for fried chicken. Cafe Du Monde, King Fish. Apple Barrel Barn just for how small and cool it is. LaFitte's as one of the oldest bars. The Dungeon if you can fit down the narrow path. Obviously the French Quarter but the warehouse and garden districts are awesome. Bourbon street sucks. Just walk around and take it in.

Just walk around and go in and out of places. Coolest thing to do. The bathrooms are the worst though. Makes the old Purple Onion look like hospital clean. Some don't even have doors. Most bizarre thing.

I never felt unsafe but would say that it would be something to watch for. Was definitely told to stay away from certain areas at certain times. It is not just the poverty but everything is run down. Some streets you just cannot drive down they are so bad. Even the sidewalks are garbage. Also, there were random chickens and rosters all over the place.

I had great interactions and found everyone super friendly. I got invited to random parties and a football game just by bumping into people on the street. Almost got into a fight on Bourbon street after my buddy ran into a dude. But one of their guys just says "them boys look like hockey players. We don't #### with hockey players". And that had me laughing pretty good.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 11:39 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Oh man, New Orleans is a giant #### hole but it is an amazing #### hole. I love that place. I have been for guys trips/football and work.

Coop's Place for fried chicken. Cafe Du Monde, King Fish. Apple Barrel Barn just for how small and cool it is. LaFitte's as one of the oldest bars. The Dungeon if you can fit down the narrow path. Obviously the French Quarter but the warehouse and garden districts are awesome. Bourbon street sucks. Just walk around and take it in.

Just walk around and go in and out of places. Coolest thing to do. The bathrooms are the worst though. Makes the old Purple Onion look like hospital clean. Some don't even have doors. Most bizarre thing.

I never felt unsafe but would say that it would be something to watch for. Was definitely told to stay away from certain areas at certain times. It is not just the poverty but everything is run down. Some streets you just cannot drive down they are so bad. Even the sidewalks are garbage. Also, there were random chickens and rosters all over the place.

I had great interactions and found everyone super friendly. I got invited to random parties and a football game just by bumping into people on the street. Almost got into a fight on Bourbon street after my buddy ran into a dude. But one of their guys just says "them boys look like hockey players. We don't #### with hockey players". And that had me laughing pretty good.
We've been over this. You are also essentially a Sasquatch.

Someone would have to be out their goddamned mind to try and take you on.

Us 'regular sized' folk have to be a bit more cautious.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:55 AM   #28
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to all the mainland provinces and 22 U.S. states, and NOLA is my favourite city in North America. Its like a less glitzy Vegas, but it actually has a soul. Love the culture there, everyone is so friendly. Granted I haven't been there since January 2020 so I can't speak what its like post-Covid - sucks hearing it's a lot more violent, I'm spending next Halloween there. But I walked all over the place, I find if you have common sense (don't go down alleys at night in French Quarter, call an Uber instead of walking big distances at night) I was just fine.

For those commenting on a smell, I feel like they're confusing "New Orleans" with Bourbon Street / inner French Quarter specifically. Its the oldest, dirtiest, & overrun with tourists part of NOLA. Lots of beautiful areas to check out without a smell, like the beautiful Garden Disctrict old mansions. Also, Bourbon is for tourists so it's more grimy, locals don't go there. They go to Frenchmen Street, nicer vibe there and tonnes of great food/music.

If weather is bad, go check out the Audoban Aquarium of the America's, and they also have the largest WWII museum in the U.S., it's really impressive. Sounds like you're used to big city U.S. in general, just use common sense and rely more on cabs or trolley in evenings instead of walking and I think you'll be fine. I can't wait to go this October, have a great time!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 12:05 PM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Thanks for the suggestion of activities. We were looking at the Audoban Aquarium and WWII museum. Is there a good park to check out for outdoor stuff?
Old 01-27-2024, 12:24 PM   #30
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^Thanks for the suggestion of activities. We were looking at the Audoban Aquarium and WWII museum. Is there a good park to check out for outdoor stuff?
If you mean nature in general, I've never been, but I hear City Park is gorgeous for walks, and it's bigger than NYC Central Park. I can't speak to what crime is like there, but it sounds fine if you do it during the day and stick to main paths. Of course there's bayou fan boat tours as well, which I also haven't done but it's on the list.

If you mean just being outside, it's been mentioned, but I'd highly recommend taking the trolley through the historic Garden District. The trolley itself is fun, it's turn of the 20th century real historic street cars, that slowly take you through the main areas, as it goes right through the Quarter and through neighbouring Garden District. It's beautiful old plantation style houses with large southern trees, just get off anywhere nice to walk through the neighborhood and check it out. When you get tired, catch the next trolley.

And if it's hot and you're getting "parched", similar to Vegas, you can walk around drinking, it just has to be in an unmarked "to-go" cup (like college party style cups). Pretty sure I even took one on the trolley. What blew my mind is you can even walk into establishments with one (at least the ones I went to).

Last thing, obviously it's great food there. It sounds cliche, but locals simply advise you to "follow your nose", as there's so much good food everywhere that you really can't go wrong wherever you are.

EDIT: I find this channel gives great advice on what to do in NOLA, check it out if you want: https://youtu.be/kAiLpTt-ydw?si=qK85EakuD_rDSRRJ

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-27-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:36 PM   #31
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have been to NOLA dozens of times. It isn’t super safe, you want to be careful on side streets at night. Bourbon is fine but don’t wander off down an alley. IMO the same common sense you use in any big city will get you by just fine. The place is loaded with tourists most of the time.

The food situation is beyond incredible. Commanders Palace IMO is one place you don’t want to miss. It’s a staple, near the Garden District.

For a local favorite, try Port o Call. Order a burger and a monsoon.

Honestly there are so many good restaurants and I’ve only tried a few of them.

edit: I have been to the WW2 museum, it is kind of cool. It was an event so not exactly as a tourist. Honestly if I had only 2 or 3 days I don’t know that it would make my list. But it is popular. Same with the aquarium. NOLA is such a unique beautiful city and those aren’t particularly distinctive to the city. But if they are the kinds of things you enjoy, then by all means. They are two of the more popular tourist destinations. In one of our earliest trips, we rented a car and visited some old plantation homes like Oak Alley.

Last edited by Strange Brew; 01-27-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 12:55 PM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
If you mean nature in general, I've never been, but I hear City Park is gorgeous for walks, and it's bigger than NYC Central Park. I can't speak to what crime is like there, but it sounds fine if you do it during the day and stick to main paths. Of course there's bayou fan boat tours as well, which I also haven't done but it's on the list.

If you mean just being outside, it's been mentioned, but I'd highly recommend taking the trolley through the historic Garden District. The trolley itself is fun, it's turn of the 20th century real historic street cars, that slowly take you through the main areas, as it goes right through the Quarter and through neighbouring Garden District. It's beautiful old plantation style houses with large southern trees, just get off anywhere nice to walk through the neighborhood and check it out. When you get tired, catch the next trolley.

And if it's hot and you're getting "parched", similar to Vegas, you can walk around drinking, it just has to be in an unmarked "to-go" cup (like college party style cups). Pretty sure I even took one on the trolley. What blew my mind is you can even walk into establishments with one (at least the ones I went to).

Last thing, obviously it's great food there. It sounds cliche, but locals simply advise you to "follow your nose", as there's so much good food everywhere that you really can't go wrong wherever you are.

EDIT: I find this channel gives great advice on what to do in NOLA, check it out if you want: https://youtu.be/kAiLpTt-ydw?si=qK85EakuD_rDSRRJ
Yeah, I wanted to check out City Park, but obviously daytime only. It's a little out of the way, so I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

We are definitely going to be in French Quarter, Garden District, and the Warehouse district, but I wanted to hear if there's anything worth checking out in Treme and if it's safe to go through there or not.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:02 PM   #33
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing but pirates, drunks, and whores. And tacky, overpriced souvenir stores.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:37 PM   #34
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to check out City Park, but obviously daytime only. It's a little out of the way, so I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

We are definitely going to be in French Quarter, Garden District, and the Warehouse district, but I wanted to hear if there's anything worth checking out in Treme and if it's safe to go through there or not.
I'm not familiar with that area - I just looked it up, sounds like I have to add it to the list! I'd search that YouTube channel I linked in my previous post, I wouldn't be shocked if he covers it.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:26 AM   #35
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Mardi Gras in 03, it was ok but not great, stampede back then was better and the red mile the next year had nicer bobbies
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:36 AM   #36
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately, you just miss French Quarter Festival. It’s like Mardi Gras minus the debauchery (you may like the debauchery). We took a Katrina tour and a plantation tour.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:09 AM   #37
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Crime in the French Quarter probably goes hand in hand with the combination of tourists and the phenomenal level of alcohol consumption.

That said, according to the following, the overall crime rate of New Orleans is behind that of Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle for overall crime; for robbery specifically, it is just slightly behind San Francisco. Neither city cracks the top 10 list for robbery, which includes Baltimore, Cleveland, Oakland, St. Louis, Memphis, Albuquerque, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis and Houston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #38
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

In terms of crime overall, it may not be the worst, but in terms of violent crime it's one of the most dangerous places on earth. I'm 2022, it had the 8th highest murder rate on earth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

As other posters have said, in most US cities, you're generally OK if you just avoid the sketchy areas. In New Orleans, the entire city is a sketchy area.

Not exaggerating, but I've been to cities in developing countries that felt much safer than New Orleans.

With that said, just be careful and try to be amongst large crowds and don't venture out at night outside of the main touristy areas.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:23 AM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I was there pre COVID, and many of the jazz bars in the treme had shut down or been replaced with/evolved into sketchier local bars. There are still places in the area to go, but from I saw the treme is not the cultural hot spot it was pre Katrina.

If you are going there, I'd go in a cultural tour in the day and check out a well reviewed restaurant. I would not go there during the night looking for jazz bars. That's what we did and it was very sketchy. When I said the Ubers wouldn't pick us up, it was in the treme. I think some of the places still have jazz nights or special concerts, but it's not like it was where every night you could just drop in for live jazz.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 11:37 AM   #40
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

The national WW2 museum is there. Worth a stop.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote