Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #501
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think selling a guy like Sanchez this season or next is not the best idea. Right now, he is all potential. Had a good season last year, but people are expecting him to regress a bit. He doesn't have that "Ace" reputation right now so i think no one will pay the amount everyone on here thinks he is worth. Give him a year or two to establish that cred and he could certainly get you a Top 5-10 prospect.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #502
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Why? Because..Boras? That's lazy. Many Boras clients are re-signing with their teams now. Plus 4 years is a long time, I've said it before, but the Jays could have tanked and be on the verge of being the next great Jays team by then. No way you trade a young controllable pitcher that you drafted and developed and chose to keep out of the "big three" (previous regime, but the point is valid still).
Lazy? You should read up on Boras and his longstanding public feud with the Jays. Just because you don't like it , doesn't make it lazy or not reality. There isn't a single one of his clients that will sign with the Jays as he will demand maximum dollars (like he does to every team), except the Jays won't go that extreme or over 5 year deals.

Argue that it's better to keep Sanchez for 4 years all you want, there's definitely lots of merit to that, but there's absolutely zero chance Sanchez reassigns with the Jays if his career trajectory stays on the same path it currently it is. He'll be getting David Price money in 4 years if he continues to develop the way he currently is.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #503
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

maybe in 4 years the jays will offer max money for one of their own

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #504
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Lazy? You should read up on Boras and his longstanding public feud with the Jays.
He does not have a longstanding public feud with the "Jays". I say that because just like any other organization the Jays have high turnover such that there is no "longstanding". I mean I don't think Boras is fueding with Edward Rogers and he's probably the only name near the top of the organizational flow chart that's the same as 5 years ago (and it's pretty far from the level that actively engages with agents).

Quote:
Just because you don't like it , doesn't make it lazy or not reality. There isn't a single one of his clients that will sign with the Jays as he will demand maximum dollars (like he does to every team), except the Jays won't go that extreme or over 5 year deals
Yes, Boras is very good at his job (his job being getting the best possible deal for his clients). The 5 year deal thing was a Beeston directive and Beeston isn't there anymore.

Quote:
Argue that it's better to keep Sanchez for 4 years all you want, there's definitely lots of merit to that, but there's absolutely zero chance Sanchez reassigns with the Jays if his career trajectory stays on the same path it currently it is.
Hyperbole. There is no such thing as a zero percent chance. It's low I'll agree but only because Boras does tend to not extend pre-free agency and once someone is on the open market you're competing with 29 other organizations.

Quote:
He'll be getting David Price money in 4 years if he continues to develop the way he currently is.
Might not be an impediment. Jays are clearly near (if not at) the end of their competitive cycle so I would imagine over the next several years they'll be attempting to shed the big money on the books thus clearing room to sign Sanchez should they appear to be back on the upswing at that time.

Ultimately, I think Cappy is right. Now is not the time to trade Sanchez. He won't command a Sale like return whereas if he duplicates or exceeds his individual performance from last year he might next offseason. Honestly, the only guy I'd be open to extending right now is Stroman.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #505
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In 4 years the only contract still on the books for the Jays is the club option for Tulo. They will be done with all other contracts and have, or be looking for, a new core so I don't see why we have to assume Sanchez is gone. Money will be there to pay him and while I get the point about 5 years and Boras, Shapiro has already come out and said the 5 year rule is not a hard and fast rule now and they will make excpetions. Not to mention by all accounts Shapiro has a good relationship with Boras.

Of course Sanchez may not wind up a Jay past 4 years but I don't see how it makes any sense to trade him now or push for a trade because we are assuming he won't be a Jay in 4 years.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #506
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
In 4 years the only contract still on the books for the Jays is the club option for Tulo. They will be done with all other contracts and have, or be looking for, a new core so I don't see why we have to assume Sanchez is gone. Money will be there to pay him and while I get the point about 5 years and Boras, Shapiro has already come out and said the 5 year rule is not a hard and fast rule now and they will make excpetions. Not to mention by all accounts Shapiro has a good relationship with Boras.

Of course Sanchez may not wind up a Jay past 4 years but I don't see how it makes any sense to trade him now or push for a trade because we are assuming he won't be a Jay in 4 years.
It makes sense to see what teams would be willing to offer, because you never know with baseball and the Jays don't appear to be in position to contend again for some time. Sanchez's value could continue to increase or he Sanchez could go completely off the rails between now and then (see Tim Lincecum and others like him).

I don't think anyone wants Sanchez gone today, but the Jays have to always have their pulse on the market because realistically he's not going to resign here. What have the Jays done in the history of this franchise that would make anyone believe they are willing to hand out 225+M over 7 years to any one player regardless of what comes off the books?

Also, the Jays are going to need that money that come off the books to keep profitable. Two years of suckage, and they are averaging 23K a night again and we'll be back to a bottom 1/3 payroll. Rogers will never allow a financial loss on the Jays, it's not in the DNA of a public corporation. Decrease revenues, decrease costs. Take a look around downtown Calgary these days and you'll see the exact same strategy being deployed.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #507
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
What have the Jays done in the history of this franchise that would make anyone believe they are willing to hand out 225+M over 7 years to any one player regardless of what comes off the books?
Vernon Wells.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #508
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Vernon Wells.
That was nowhere in the league of today's dollar value (well maybe with inflation), but Vernon Wells is one of the biggest reasons it will never happen with the Jays again. That contract was so bad it actually made it on Rogers financial statements one year (as did BJ Ryan).

Forever praise AA for getting rid of that contract. He actually got paid 21M one year to not play for the Yankees. That can't happen with Rogers.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #509
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Smoak getting hits? The Jays leading? What is this?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #510
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell & Pearce: rally killers. But hey, at least we're on the board and at least Smoak is doing something good.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #511
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man, Martin is some kind of terrible lately. I've always maintained that his catching is all that matters,but that's when he used to hit around .240 with 20 homeruns. He's been flat out terrible for almost one straight season now.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #512
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Pillar has two doubles already today. Nice.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #513
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a good AB from Kendry.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #514
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. Tulo hit that hard. Too bad.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #515
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe he should have only shaved half the beard...
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #516
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw off Bosox.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #517
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Ugh. Time to get Stro outta there.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #518
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

6-3 now. Still in the 5th but with the way the Jays offense has been that might be the game. Pretty sad.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #519
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

HR Russell Martin?? Wait, what?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #520
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

For pete's sake, this is well and truly beyond maddening.