Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #101
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Frank McCourt has bought Olympique Marseille. A club and city notorious for being unmanageable. This the guy who owned the Dodgers and had to sell the team to settle his divorce.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #102
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zenit St. Petersburg has been offered €6.8 million to change it's name to Zenit Burger King. That seems like a pretty low offer, but hopefully they accept.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #103
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welcome back Champions League. Man City-Mönchengladbach has been postponed because it's raining like mad in Manchester.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #104
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal down a goal within 45 seconds lol. Some things never change.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #105
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

6-0 at this point for Barca over Celtic.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #106
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Arsenal fans were wondering why Ospina was in for Cech, but he's been great today for them. Cavani on the other hand....
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #107
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
6-0 at this point for Barca over Celtic.
Celtic missed a penalty when it was 1-0. Could have changed everything

Old 09-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #108
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Champions League used to be better IMO.

Feel like with Barca, Madrid, and Bayern spending so much money since 2013 that the divide between the top 3 teams and the rest of the European pack has become huge.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Champions League used to be better IMO.

Feel like with Barca, Madrid, and Bayern spending so much money since 2013 that the divide between the top 3 teams and the rest of the European pack has become huge.
Well, I'd agree and disagree, I think a huge chunk of it has to do with the fact that English teams havent spent particularly well.

Besides, Juve, PSG and Atletico are consistently in the mix as well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #110
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah lots playing into it for sure - doesn't help that from a development perspective that Spain/Germany are so far ahead it's not even fair. Causing their big domestic team to have a big advantage in attracting talent.

Plus then on top of the quality of "national players" you have Barca, Bayern, and Madrid spending a ton on the best foreign talent- and spending it smartly. They really have consolidated the true world class players (especially attacking players) on those 3 teams.

Italian football overall has taken a step back - with only Juve being a real threat at any point in time - and even they have a harder time keeping their best players. The Milan teams are shadows of their former selves, and Roma has never been a factor.

English football has seen a lot of poor spending and a lot of that is due to playing second fiddle to the big 3 mentioned on the transfer market. Can't get the true "stars" to come to England so are over-spending on great but not world class players, or younger players with potential.

German football had a bit of a resurgence - but Bayern spending and purchasing all the good german players ended that quickly.

I just feel like there used to be more intrigue watching this in the mid to late 00's - especially in the group stages.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #111
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of today's performances it's interesting to see Kimmich score twice in one of his first starts as a deep lying holding midfielder for Bayern.

Played Right Back for Germany at the Euros and I think he played there for Bayern last year as well.

Could be interesting to see if they keep him in the middle.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #112
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, I'd agree and disagree, I think a huge chunk of it has to do with the fact that English teams havent spent particularly well.

Besides, Juve, PSG and Atletico are consistently in the mix as well.
Is it all spending though? I mean clearly that is a piece of it, but then you look at the Premier League and there is a lot of healthy competition there. There are probably 6-7 teams that are serious contenders for the top 4 and of those at least 4 who could make a reasonable case to win the league. Didn't Bayern win by some crushing amount last year though? So they can roll out the A side midweek for the Champions League without a huge concern and then roll through domestically for the most part.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #113
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bayern haven't had anyone finish within 10 points of them in the last four seasons.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #114
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

You had more big teams in the group stage too. This champions qualifying level really hurts the quality

Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #115
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is it all spending though? I mean clearly that is a piece of it, but then you look at the Premier League and there is a lot of healthy competition there. There are probably 6-7 teams that are serious contenders for the top 4 and of those at least 4 who could make a reasonable case to win the league. Didn't Bayern win by some crushing amount last year though? So they can roll out the A side midweek for the Champions League without a huge concern and then roll through domestically for the most part.
Sadly, I think Matt has a great point.

None of the English the clubs are way out front in terms of acquiring and developing players. Thus they have to spend, alot.

Depth is paramount in England, due to the domestic parity & think only City & United have the depth to play top football both domestically and in Europe with the same level of competitiveness. That's because they have oodles of money.

The money can't be forever though; not with mediocre results vs the spend.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #116
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think United are unique though, they have such a massive worldwide following that the money will always be rolling in. I mean Depay had the number 1 selling jersey last year. Did he really deserve that title? Of course not, but United fans are plentiful and bought a lot of Memphis jerseys. I imagine Pogba and Zlatan will easily be 1-2 in jersey sales this year. And I mentioned it in the Prem League thread but I read United has at least 70 different sponsors. Will they lose some support if they go another couple years winning nothing besides FA Cups? Maybe, but I think it'd have to be a steep decline into a midtable club for that to happen.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #117
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

going to be really strange watching a home side at Wembley tomorrow who play fast paced attacking football
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #118
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slovenia represent!

Quote:
Aleksander Ceferin has been elected the new president of UEFA, beating Michael van Praag in the race to succeed Michel Platini.

Ceferin, who was appointed president of the Slovenian FA in 2011 and has a background in law, won 42 of the 55 votes at the Extraordinary UEFA Congress in Athens on Wednesday.

"My small and beautiful Slovenia is very proud about it and I hope one day you will also be very proud of me,"
http://www.espnfc.us/blog/uefa/258/p...michel-platini

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #119
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm sure Arsenal fans were wondering why Ospina was in for Cech, but he's been great today for them. Cavani on the other hand....
What are you talking about? Aside from scoring that early one, Cavani was brilliant for Arsenal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Sadly, I think Matt has a great point.

None of the English the clubs are way out front in terms of acquiring and developing players. Thus they have to spend, alot.
Although they haven't spent the best, English clubs do have to pay a premium.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #120
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho announced his 20 man squad vs Feyenoord.
Rooney, Shaw, Valencia, Jones, Mkhitaryan & Lingard stay home.

My 11

--------------- Rashford
----- Memphis Herrera Mata
-------- Schneiderlin Carrick
------ Rojo Smalling Baily Darmian
-------------- de Gea
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote