Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #1641
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, just got back from a week of tennis at Rogers Cup. What an amazing experience.

If anyone's a hardcore tennis fan, I really recommend the series ticket. They give you a ticket pack so you can pretty much pick and choose which sessions you want to go to. I went to every session, but some of the less hardcore tennis fans on the trip scalped off a couple sessions and did their own thing.

It's amazing because we managed to follow all the cool little stories. The Shapovalov matches before the crazy one with Nadal, we followed Schwartzmann from upsetting Thiem to the quarters. Watched tons of great matches and upsets, AND got to see Federer multiple times. Great experience.

To be fair, I think we got pretty lucky, because if we had the same pack to Cincy it would've been completely different through the depleted field, but still.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #1642
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's Kygrios though...there's a high probability that he had planned to just play video games tonight and is pissed off he has to show up for another match. in terms of professionalism, there could not possibly be two players further apart on the spectrum than him and Rafa...well except maybe Tomic and Roger.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #1643
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm a little surprised and disappointed Kyrgios won. He was on the edge of a full-blown temper tantrum at 5-5 in that second set tiebreak. Very surprised to see him pull himself back together.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #1644
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kyrgios is probably a bigger threat to win the US Open than Zverev is. His problem as always is motivation and mental strength, but as we see tonight when he's on he's very tough to beat, especially when he's dominating on serve like he did tonight.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #1645
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No chance for Nadal yesterday 2 matches is just too much. The good thing is he won't have to do that at the US Open. I'm hearing that Murray will be back so he will be the 2nd seed will be interesting to see what half Fed ends up in.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #1646
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brayden Schnur lost yesterday, but Carol Zhao is into the semi-finals of the Vancouver Open tourney.

http://www.tenniscanada.com/carol-zh...brown-vanopen/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #1647
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferrer and Kyrgios are having a very good match on TSN2 right now.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #1648
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cincy final is set as Dimitrov will take on Kyrgios which should be a dandy match.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #1649
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dimitrov is a contender for the US Open title remember he took Nadal to 5 sets in Australia. He's been playing well on hard courts
Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #1650
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said it right after Wimbledon, but the US Open is going to be the most wide open men's major in some time, especially now with Roger's back being a possible issue. Nadal's record in majors outside the French the past 3-4 years is very middling, Andy is not 100%, Zverev hasn't been great in majors this year, Theim has been below average outside clay this year, Milos is up and down and likely not 100% going in, Nishikori is Nishkori, Cilic might struggle to get over Wimbledon mentally, Dimitrov and Kyrgios both can beat anyone, and lose to anyone. Really is setting up to be anyone's tournament.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #1651
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Grigor Dimitrov on winning his first Masters 1000 tourney.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #1652
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

... Thereby dropping Raonic from the top ten for the first time in a little while.

Roger's back has to be the biggest question mark for Flushing Meadows. Apparently the tournament director for the Shanghai Masters contacted the Federer team and was assured that it was nothing major and that he'd be in full form by the 28th, but who knows.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #1653
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draw will be very important to determine who wins in New York. Carlos Moya will be coming to New York along with Uncle Toni for Nadal. Im concerned about his recent play but I feel like he was put in a very tough spot facing Krygios after 5 hrs rest. How is Murray hip or Feds back? As the senator said it's going to be a very interesting tournament. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nadal or Fed win but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Krygios or Zverez win as well. Might be a good chance to put some money on a Dimitrov with good odds, who knows if he avoids Fed he can win it.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #1654
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMKmiEy0k-s

What an achievement for Rafa huge congrats on becoming world #1 again. 9 years almost to the day when he first became #1. His clay court season seamed normal for Rafa but if anyone else in the history of tennis had a clay court season like he did this year we would celebrating it like crazy but for Nadal its just business as usual. Winning Monte-Carlo (for a 10th time), Barcelona (for a 10th time), Madrid (5th time only) and the French Open for a record 10th time as well. Finishing the clay court season at 24-1, he was unstoppable at the French, maybe his most dominant French Open which is saying something. The closest he came to losing was to Robin Haase in the 2nd round when he won 6-1,6-4,6-3 simply the greatest clay court player in the history of the sport. I hope he can hold on to this ranking for the rest of the year but there is a young upstart by the name of Federer who is knocking on the door. Vamanos now onto New York looking for his sweet 16
Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #1655
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Genie Bouchard is back in action this morning at the Connecticut Open. Vasek is playing tomorrow at a US Open warmup tourney in Stowe, Vermont against Tommy Haas. Also, Denis Shapovalov begins his US Open qualifying quest tomorrow as well.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 08-21-2017 at 09:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #1656
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Genie wins 6-1 6-3 over Lauren Davis of the States. Much tougher opponent up next however (Aggie Radwanska)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #1657
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Denis vs. Denis (Shapovalov vs. Kudla) in US Open qualifying this morning. There's a whole slew of Canadians playing qualifying matches today as well including Felix and Peter Polansky.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #1658
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the women's side, Francoise Abanda and Bianca Andreescu also kick off their US Open qualifying campaigns today.

Edit: My bad, Francoise's match is tomorrow (Wednesday)

Last edited by dash_pinched; 08-22-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #1659
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something seriously shady is going on in Salem. Alex Dolgopolov is being investigated in regards to match fixing:

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/pro...811fe0a0e.html

And now hearing Tursunov has withdrawn from the event after he went from a huge underdog of 5.5 to 1.57 this morning. Organizers were even considering cancelling the match before he pulled out.

I wonder if this story will blow up, it's very strange and undermines the entire sport. I don't know what the solution is but it seems like this isn't going away.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #1660
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudla is ranked 167 and seeded 2nd in qualifiers. Denis is ranked 67 and seeded 18th. Any explanation for that?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote