Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #101
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboy12 View Post
I don't think the AN-225 has ever been to Calgary. I think that was the A-124 the one that normally flys into Calgary
I have to agree with this, I remember back around 2002-2003 there was a strong rumour that the 225 was going to come through but it never happened. However the 124 is a somewhat regular visitor to YYC.

If the 225 was coming I would already be at the airport with my camera in hand, waiting...
Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #102
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some excellent footage of the 787 air to air shoot by Clay Lacy Aviation:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #103
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus some Canadian content, 3 of the Bombardier private jet options in formation flight:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #104
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
plus some canadian content, 3 of the bombardier private jet options in formation flight:

"Traffic! Traffic!"
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #105
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

For those of us who are aviation geeks and love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, last Thursday's episode has an Air Canada E90 in the background while the gang are at PHL

At least I'm assuming they actually used PHL, I've never been. And I could be mistaken on that being an E90, but I'm fairly certain it is.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #106
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
At least I'm assuming they actually used PHL, I've never been. And I could be mistaken on that being an E90, but I'm fairly certain it is.
It's either the E90 or the E75
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #107
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
It's either the E90 or the E75
when I checked photos of the E75 it didn't look like it had an emergency exit above the wing just before the A in Air Canada

see: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-C...1477a43b2ceb26

However I didn't check the Airbus A319 which I thought it could also be, but it doesn't seem to have the look of an Airbus

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #108
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
when I checked photos of the E75 it didn't look like it had an emergency exit above the wing just before the A in Air Canada

see: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-C...1477a43b2ceb26

However I didn't check the Airbus A319 which I thought it could also be, but it doesn't seem to have the look of an Airbus
That is some great avgeek investigative work! Definitely a E90 due to the presence of the emergency exit there.

The tail and engines are also a give-away that it is not an Airbus.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #109
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome new ad for British Airways, "To Fly. To Serve."

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #110
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great ad! Makes me miss the Concorde.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #111
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Great ad! Makes me miss the Concorde.
I never saw the Concorde fly in person, definitely one of the regrets I have in my life so far. We are lucky that YYC has seen the RAF fly in the old VC-10 over the last few years, a pity they will be gone pretty soon too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #112
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I never saw the Concorde fly in person, definitely one of the regrets I have in my life so far. We are lucky that YYC has seen the RAF fly in the old VC-10 over the last few years, a pity they will be gone pretty soon too.
I flew into Heathrow last week and was saddened by the lack of a Concorde sighting. When I was last there (2004), the Concorde fleet had already been grounded, but I still saw a few parked on the tarmac. I was lucky enough to see one taxi and takeoff on a previous trip to London in the 80s.

Booking a trans-Atlantic crossing on the Concorde was on my bucket list -- guess I'll never realize that dream now unless another SST is ever developed.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #113
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only SST that is even being talked about right now is in the private jet world, and even that is a long shot with no real money behind it yet.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #114
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I flew into Heathrow last week and was saddened by the lack of a Concorde sighting. When I was last there (2004), the Concorde fleet had already been grounded, but I still saw a few parked on the tarmac. I was lucky enough to see one taxi and takeoff on a previous trip to London in the 80s.

Booking a trans-Atlantic crossing on the Concorde was on my bucket list -- guess I'll never realize that dream now unless another SST is ever developed.
The was and hopefully still is a concorde parked at the Museum of Flight in Seattle which can you enter and check out the cockpit and interior.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #115
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Start saving up for a Virgin Galactic flight? Hopefully once they get up and running over the years they will be able to offer the flights cheaper than the initial $250,000 USD they are right now.

I would love to do it.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #116
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the only SST that is even being talked about right now is in the private jet world, and even that is a long shot with no real money behind it yet.
I'm somewhat surprised one or more of the "upscale" carriers like Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, etc. haven't pushed for development of a modern SST. Maybe they have but it's just not economically feasible to design and manufacture what would ultimately be a niche aircraft without heavy government subsidies (like the Concorde received)?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #117
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the the Hong Kong Airport opened, first time flying out of there, I saw a Concorde parked at a gate. I think that may have been the only time I've seen a concorde in person.

Never saw it fly though, which kind of sucks.

Virgin offered to buy the Concorde and put it back into service, but Airbus said that they will not provide any sort of support for it if they do or something along those lines.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #118
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm somewhat surprised one or more of the "upscale" carriers like Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, etc. haven't pushed for development of a modern SST. Maybe they have but it's just not economically feasible to design and manufacture what would ultimately be a niche aircraft without heavy government subsidies (like the Concorde received)?
If any airline had the money to waste on doing it, look no further than Emirates.

There is still the big problem on not allowing supersonic travel over land due to the sonic boom. There are some new designs that minimize that, so if you solve that problem and the immense cost to develop and operate an SST we may see it happen.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #119
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the Concorde take off in Miami when I was little. Pretty impressive.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #120
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
There is still the big problem on not allowing supersonic travel over land due to the sonic boom.
Of course, the vast majority of the world's population is on a coast anyways. Lots of flights that go mostly over water. London-New York? LA-Tokyo?
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters