Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #221
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
im with you on this one. I understand that some subsidies are required to keep the program afloat, but 100k plus expenses is well above and beyond what they deserve. Many pro sport players contribute in teams that turn a profit, yet they get a much lower salary. Worst part is now the path is paved for other women's programs to basically unionize and threaten to quit unless they receive their handouts too.
Read the post. Read the poster. Was not colored shocked.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #222
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Good for those women. 70k as we know pales in comparison to what the average poster on this board makes and with the costs of living going steadily upwards this is basically just a living wage.

It's a good deal, and clearly, the money was there to give them.
the average poster on this board makes well above 70k ?

and 70k is basically a living wage?
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #223
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
the average poster on this board makes well above 70k ?

and 70k is basically a living wage?
$70k, statistically, is the point at which people are able to live a life without worrying about money. It's the magic number. Good for the women.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #224
KingMoo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
$70k, statistically, is the point at which people are able to live a life without worrying about money. It's the magic number. Good for the women.
isnt it 70k USD ?
KingMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #225
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Doesn't matter. The salaries of the players should be paid for by the money they generate, not the mom's and dad's trying to put their kid through hockey.

Want to pool all the money that both national teams generate? Cool. Taking money from grassroots to pay these girls a salary that's $20 grand more than the average american makes is nuts.
Yeah. Fcuk those women trying to get enough money to live on.

It baffles me how you are so against these people making a salary. Why stop here? Why not go to every person that you perceive to be overpaid and and call them out for it? Remember to only focus on revenue that can be specifically linked to that person in that year, and don't focus on any macro level areas, training to get to that point, or future goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #226
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post

It baffles me how you are so against these people making a salary. Why stop here? Why not go to every person that you perceive to be overpaid and and call them out for it? Remember to only focus on revenue that can be specifically linked to that person in that year, and don't focus on any macro level areas, training to get to that point, or future goals.
Don't you know, only people who generate revenue for for profit entities deserve to be paid. The rest of us are just takers.

Never mind the proper term for someone who values money over love is "whore". Never you mind.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #227
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post

If you think these athletes deserve to make 70 Grand a year funded by membership dues from grassroots hockey for playing maybe 10 games a year that barely anyone watches or pays to see because they played the sexism card (with little basis for it) and basically guilt tripped USA Hockey publicly into paying them that then go for it.

Last edited by polak; 03-30-2017 at 10:37 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #228
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you think these girls deserve to make 70 Grand a year funded by membership dues from grassroots hockey for playing maybe 10 games a year that barely anyone watches or pays to see because they played the sexism card (with little basis for it) and basically guilt tripped USA Hockey publicly into paying them that then go for it.
Who do you think little girls playing hockey in the US look up to?

They represent their country. They're damn good. They won. Good for them.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #229
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
isnt it 70k USD ?
I used to make $70k CAD - I wasn't worried about ####. I also didn't feel like I needed to make a ton more money.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #230
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you think these girls deserve to make 70 Grand a year funded by membership dues from grassroots hockey for playing maybe 10 games a year that barely anyone watches or pays to see because they played the sexism card (with little basis for it) and basically guilt tripped USA Hockey publicly into paying them that then go for it.
Laugh. You called them girls.

Anyway, athletes have been paid for decades to do train for weird and wonderful sports that we only watch for two weeks every couple years. Plenty of people have no doubt played the "I don't know what I'm talking about but these people should not be paid because I don't care about their sport" card that you just played, yet the practice continues.

The women's national team inspires kids to get involved in the sport. This is pretty clear. Is it worth paying them annually to do so? I can't really say, but I'm sure they do more to get kids into the sport than a million PSAs and bureaucrat-fuelled feel-good programs.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #231
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the only part that is difficult for me if they are getting paid from membership dues that do basically nothing and this will likely cause them to rise.

When I was in Oklahoma our adult league forced us to have USA Hockey insurance ( $40 a year or something) to participate. Most leagues in the states require it and it's separate and on top of league fees. The idea is that it was supposed to protect the rink and you if you were injured playing. My buddy broke his ankle in a USA hockey sanctioned league game. They would not cover his injuries due to having a ref that wasn't qualified. I have heard many horror stories about this. USA Hockey (and Hockey Canada to an extent) seem to really be just insurance sales companies that also dabble in hockey.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #232
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Laugh. You called them girls.

Anyway, athletes have been paid for decades to do train for weird and wonderful sports that we only watch for two weeks every couple years. Plenty of people have no doubt played the "I don't know what I'm talking about but these people should not be paid because I don't care about their sport" card that you just played, yet the practice continues.

The women's national team inspires kids to get involved in the sport. This is pretty clear. Is it worth paying them annually to do so? I can't really say, but I'm sure they do more to get kids into the sport than a million PSAs and bureaucrat-fuelled feel-good programs.
I actually caught myself writing "these guys" cause i say "these guys" a lot regardless of gender and Ive been trying to avoid screwing that up here. Wasn't trying to have it come off like that. Fixed.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 AM   #233
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol what a joke, it's oft said on this board that 'players make millions' just to play a game. Those player generate billions of dollars. Now I guess anyone who puts in the dedication deserves to be paid? I agree with the posters who said these athletes should be paid the same as other Olympic athletes.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #234
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Why am I not surprised Polak is unhappy at women getting paid?

They had the weight of the law behind them and they had proper leverage. Just like their male counterparts, they negotiated the best deal they could.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #235
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you think these athletes deserve to make 70 Grand a year funded by membership dues from grassroots hockey for playing maybe 10 games a year that barely anyone watches or pays to see because they played the sexism card (with little basis for it) and basically guilt tripped USA Hockey publicly into paying them that then go for it.
I really enjoy how short sighted you can be.

If USA Hockey wants to grow the game, especially the female side, then they are going to have to inspire the current children to want to play hockey. If they know that they can make $70,000 if they are one of the top 23 women hockey players in the country, versus making $6,000, they might continue on, rather than going into another career. You can argue they should be playing for love of the game, but at some point you have to pay your bills, and figure out what you'll do after your hockey career is over. If the women had been making basically nothing for the first 30 years of their lives, and then retire, what kind of wages could they make afterwards? What savings would they have? If there is no incentive to continue to play hockey, then USA Hockey suffers, and hockey as a whole suffers.

The money really is a drop in the bucket for USA Hockey. It is in no way affecting grassroots hockey in any way, shape, or form. Maybe there are only 10 games now, but if they continue to grow the game, that number will also continue to rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #236
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Why am I not surprised Polak is unhappy at women getting paid?
What a ####ing ridiculous comment.

They didn't have the law on their side considering this never went to court and the men don't get paid 70K a year from the national program.

It was going public and negotiating in bad faith claiming they were fighting for equal treatment but instead of asking for the same thing the mens team get (first class travel, tickets for family and separate rooms), they demanded high wages on top of everything else.

I have absolutely nothing against women getting paid, what an asinine comment. I do have something against athletes whining that they don't make enough money when their is very little interest in their sport and taking that money from development was just a cherry on top.

You, just like the rest of the US public fell for their baseless "sexism" tactics and they got their way. Kudos I guess. Funny how they came out of this earning substantially more than what the US Mens Team gets from USA Hockey.

Last edited by polak; 03-31-2017 at 09:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #237
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Holy hell!!

Where did all that money come from?

$70K per year to play like 15 meaningful games a decade? Wow.

Well...good on the Ladies I guess. Hopefully this doesnt mean that Girls youth hockey goalies have to stuff their socks with newspaper.
Taylor Hall gets paid a lot more than that and hasn't played one yet.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #238
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
What a ####ing ridiculous comment.

They didn't have the law on their side considering this never went to court and the men don't get paid 70K a year from the national program.

It was going public and negotiating in bad faith claiming they were fighting for equal treatment but instead of asking for the same thing the mens team get (first class travel, tickets for family and separate rooms), they demanded high wages.

I have absolutely nothing against women getting paid, what an asinine comment. I do have something against athletes whining that they don't make enough money when their is very little interest in their sport and taking that money from development was just a cherry on top.

You, just like the rest of the US public fell for their baseless "sexism" tactics and they got their way. Kudos I guess. Funny how they came out of this earning substantially more than what the US Mens Team gets from USA Hockey.

The issue isn't that black and white (money generated = money earned). In society we pay for many things that people have little interest in for the betterment of living. There are grants for the ill and disabled. Should they not have grants because they don't produce the same amount of money as we do?

As I said before, it will come to a point where USA Hockey deems the women's game a failure and cut bait. Perhaps when the IOC throws it out of the Olympics. It just hasn't gotten there yet.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #239
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The issue isn't that black and white (money generated = money earned). In society we pay for many things that people have little interest in for the betterment of living. There are grants for the ill and disabled. Should they not have grants because they don't produce the same amount of money as we do?

As I said before, it will come to a point where USA Hockey deems the women's game a failure and cut bait. Perhaps when the IOC throws it out of the Olympics. It just hasn't gotten there yet.
Ya, unfortunately I think this deal will serve the current team well for about 2 years. I love hockey period, and enjoy cheering both of our Canadian hockey teams on at the Olympics. Unfortunately the womans event is a 2 horse race every year and id be surlrised if it isnt cut for the following Olympics. If/when this happens I wont be shocked to see the deal fall apart. No way they pay 70k a year plus for a sport not in the olympics.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #240
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Is it fair to say that because the men are not being paid, it is unfair for the women to be paid?

The main reason that the men are not paid is that the majority of the players that go are professional players and their livelihoods are covered by the NHL/AHL/etc. salaries they get. In effect the men's team is subsidized by the NHL and other pro leagues.

The fairer question to ask is if the men's team weren't being supported by pro hockey, what should USA Hockey be paying them, then take that same methodology and apply it to the women.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: